Snakes and other pets!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  00:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, im really into getting a snake and done all the research. Im just wondering if that would be a problem with my two cats? Any advice? Don't want them being all scared of each other n things :(

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  01:43:37  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it shouldnt be a problem so long as you keep an eye on the cats when your handling the snakey.

There are plnty of people on this forum and the other sister sites that have cats and snakes.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  02:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks !! Daft question again, do I have to weigh the lid down? I know snakes are strong animals and I also know cats are. Is there some type of clip available to stop them "playing" ?
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  02:09:27  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have 2 cats and well bluntly one runs away...not interested the other one wants to 'play' with them lol but she aint allowed any where near them when there out or feeding or whatever... but she has started to get used to them now and isnt as interested as she used to be but would still try to get m
lol having 2 cats probs makes me check every door, lid etc so the snakies dont get out and 'touch wood' none out so far :D

so in other words it aint a prob just make sure ya keep an eye on the cats with the snakie about :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  02:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers guys though I am out at work from 7 until 6 at night, just wanting to know there is going to be no tomfoolery. Had some fish before and it did not end nicely lol.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  02:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crazy JJ - Where are you from ? Im from Glasgow. If you are local then could you tell me a reputable dealer?
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  02:31:06  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i live in lincolnshire, but i know there are a few glasgow peeps on here (well at least i think so lol) so am sowi i cant help ya with ones near you, lol i cant even help with breeders near me haha :D (except my babies of course ;)) but could look on preloved etc see what they have but if your looking 4 a proper breeder then im not to sure :(

as for the snakies security well that depends on what age snakie your gettin and what your keeping him/her in for example my adults are in vivs with locks on and my lil babys are in fauns 2 of which are i a spare viv one on top of a viv and the others in ma mums room but i have no locks on them and they've been fine... i even found out today i didnt shut twilights lid prop good job she is shed eh :o

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  02:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great advice mate! Found a place called creature comforts about 30 mins drive from where I live, its in in Clarkston near Glasgow. They seem to be quite good and the website suggests that you should do your own research as well. Hoping to go 2moro. Any suggestions on vivs and acsessiories ?
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  02:56:31  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
argh sowi my pc bein stupid,
yey thats something then :D
have you read the care sheet on here??? some great tips there aswell

well dependin on age will depend on what size enclosure but all my lot have at least 2 hides something to climb on, various plastic plants inside. erm ya defo need digi therms, thermostat and heat matt (covering 3rd ish of the housing) (lighting is optinal but i have it 4 my adults so i can see them better but if ya do get lighting make sure its guarded) viv lock.

there are cheaper options in hides e.g toilet tubes, kitchen tubes, my lot love egg boxes and shikira seems to like tisuue box atm bless her :D

before ya buy the snake though its a good idea to look at records of the history and to have a handle because im sure ya dont want a snappy machine for your 1st snakie. be warned there very addictive but there great pets :D and when ya get one piccies are a defo must and dont forget the one week rule :D

but if the rep shop is decent it should tell ya all the ins and outs really and what ya need :D

im hopeing i have everythin on here.. knowing me ive forgotten something but someone will put it up here later (hopefully)

hope this helps and at least gives you a rough idea. and sowi ive ive rambled on abit to much :/

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  03:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sweston

Great advice mate! Found a place called creature comforts about 30 mins drive from where I live, its in in Clarkston near Glasgow. They seem to be quite good and the website suggests that you should do your own research as well. Hoping to go 2moro. Any suggestions on vivs and acsessiories ?

That does sound like a good place if it is suggesting that you do your own research first....I am really impressed! Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here.

Crazy JJ has suggested the place to start, the care sheet (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm) it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133 Another topic (still being worked on) that gives you a lot of the info you need to set up a hatchling and where you go from there is this one - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878.

One thing I would say is dont go expecting to come home with a snake!! Just go and look and see what you think of the place. If you like it then you can buy what is needed for the set-up for whatever snake you decide on....but you need to get it all set up and running for a bit before you get your snake so that you can ensure there are no problems before introducing your new snake to its new home.

As for the cats and snakes....not a cat person so cant help !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  03:50:22  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for the cats and snakes....not a cat person so cant help !!

lol im not either lol but me and dad rescued my first one ages ago and she had kittens lol so hence the 2nd haha ... but other than that wouldnt have another cat

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  11:14:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I hate cats but I live 3/4. 2 of them would pester the hell out of my snakes even in their viv's so when I see them do that I kick the a light and swift kick up the backside. Another one doesn't care until they are out then he wnats to play :/ and mine doesn't care about the snakes at all! Infact, he's scared of Vennom but a scared cat could do a lot of damage so I just keep them away from each other when handling.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  12:29:40  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I got two cats. Willow is an old lady and cant be bothered but she sometimes looks. Wotsit on the other hand has more ocd's than anything else and is always slapping the glass on the front of the viv but oddly Colin (my eldest corn) does not seem one bit scared of him. That said when its handling or feeding time for the snakes both cats are turfed out of the room.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  15:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Sweston, creature comforts is not really great for selections, also I'm not a big fan of how they keep the snakes.

Neon gecko in paisly NOT the one at the barras is very good and have not a bad selection and not too massively overpriced

I'm in glasgow so its always nice to see more weegies in here. I've got a cat and had no hassles

Edited by - gmac on 06/06/2010 15:20:44
Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  16:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't allow the cats in the room with the snakes any more. George has knocked Luna's faun off twice, once actually dislodging the lid and letting her escape - luckily I was just coming into the room when I saw it happen and grabbed her. Hatchling + faunarium isn't heavy enough for a REALLY INTERESTED cat to not push off the top of a cupboard!

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

Edited by - inkiepixie on 06/06/2010 16:42:31
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  22:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our cat isn't interested at all and neither is Bella, but she's not an adult, so perhaps that will change once Bella grows. We keep her in the living room where the door stays shut though to stop the cat getting in.

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  08:50:12  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have two cats, Saffy isnt interested in my snakes at all, Tommy opened Mouses viv once to "play" but he didn't like getting told off by me so hasn't bothered with them since (That and he's learned pouncing on things in the house gets him beaten up when he tried to pounce on my ferret lol). They pretty much ignore eachother now.

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000