New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

143 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  20:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi

my cornsnake is always at the cold end of the rub, cool end is 24c as that is the room temp today with this hot weather, but hot end is between 29c and 30c, is this too hot for my little man?

i have 4 books on cornsnakes and they all give different information, on temps. some say 21 - 27, others say hot end 30 - 35 (?) others 21 - 24c, and i am confused.

is my rub too hot at 29 - 30c please?

many thanks in advance

dee x x x x x x

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  21:02:23  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You could try dropping it down to 27 28 ish that will bring down the ambient temp in the rub a tad hopefully

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

143 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  21:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you elament, do you think it may be too hot for my little boy? i expect it must be if he's never on it?

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  21:10:33  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
well 30 is within range but at the hot end of the spectrum and with this hot weather it wont be helping the overall temp in the rub. Some of us turn down our stats during hot weather like this for that precise reason

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 05/06/2010 21:27:15
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

143 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  21:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay, thanks so much, i will turn the temps down now *runs off to sort temps*

dee x x x x

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  21:28:18  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
lol good luck 28 ish will be fine incidently what sort of thermometer are you using to measure the temp?

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  21:37:01  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I only ask because if you are using one of them dial type ones they are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike and if its reading 30 the chances are your heatmat is pumping out a fair bit more

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  21:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
i dont mean to hi-jack this thread but im having the same problem and didnt want to start a whole new thread. My heat matt isnt even switched on and the temp in the rub is 28c. I know this is too hot for the cool end but how can i cool the rub down? Its also not in direct light. The matt isnt on because im not picking my snake up for 2 weeks, i just want to have everything prepared
Thanx

0.1 Amel stripe corn snake
0.1 Normal Royal
1.0 Bearded dragon - Spam
Female mixed breed dog - Sunny
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  21:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

well 30 is within range but at the hot end of the spectrum and with this hot weather it wont be helping the overall temp in the rub. Some of us turn down our stats during hot weather like this for that precise reason

You shouldn't have to turn it down, thats the benifit of a stat.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  22:03:19  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:

Yeah but surely if you got your mat pumping out 30c it will up the ambient in the viv?? I know I turned mine down a tad and it dropped the cool end temp by a degree but then that is in xenas viv where the mat covers 1/2 the floor area

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  22:21:22  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spam08

Hi
i dont mean to hi-jack this thread but im having the same problem and didnt want to start a whole new thread. My heat matt isnt even switched on and the temp in the rub is 28c. I know this is too hot for the cool end but how can i cool the rub down? Its also not in direct light. The matt isnt on because im not picking my snake up for 2 weeks, i just want to have everything prepared
Thanx

28c is well warm as an ambient temp with no heatmat on even in this weather how are you measuring that and what sort of ventilation have you got in the rub?

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  22:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

28c is well warm as an ambient temp with no heatmat on even in this weather how are you measuring that and what sort of ventilation have you got in the rub?

[/quote]

Digital thermometer, I even took one out of my beardys viv put all the prongs together to see if there was a difference. At the minute outside of the rub they are all reading 27c. Im using a rub and iv drilled the air holes where the nobbly bits on the corners are (sorry the only way i could describe it)

0.1 Normal Royal
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  22:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:

Yeah but surely if you got your mat pumping out 30c it will up the ambient in the viv?? I know I turned mine down a tad and it dropped the cool end temp by a degree but then that is in xenas viv where the mat covers 1/2 the floor area

Heat mats make such a tiny differance to ambient heat that it can be ignored.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  22:48:34  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not gonna argue with you matty but it defo made a difference in Xenas viv. I had that on 29.5 and I turned it down to 28 and it dropped the cold end down by one degree but then like I said it does cover a half of the viv floor.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  22:51:50  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

[/quote]
Digital thermometer, I even took one out of my beardys viv put all the prongs together to see if there was a difference. At the minute outside of the rub they are all reading 27c. Im using a rub and iv drilled the air holes where the nobbly bits on the corners are (sorry the only way i could describe it)
[/quote]

To be honest if the temp outside the rub is 27 then its no suprise. TBH I am no expert especially so when it comes to RUB's but I guess we are all going to struggle with this heat.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 05/06/2010 22:52:53
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  22:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think it will be ok when the heat matt is on, its statted?There is a storm going on at the min so im hoping it cools right down, temps on the thermometer are already dropping
Thanx for your replies

0.1 Normal Royal
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  23:21:10  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Like I said I am no expert but i would be concerned if its reading 28 with no heatmat. If this weather is anything to go by and it gets any hotter then you could be in trouble in the future. Maybe one of the guys that has RUBs can give you some pointers as my two are in vivs. Having said that my vivs are fully vented and even I am struggling to keep the cold end temps down during the day. Good luck with it I hope someone who has RUB experience comes on and helps you out.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  00:21:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The only thing i could suggest for the Rub would be more holes in the lid as heat rises and maybe a fan in the room to just shift all the lingering hot air out.

I have a RUB but don't have that problem as my RUB houses a BCI and they generally need cool end temps of around 25-26c.

Edit: If your only air holes are where the nobbly bits are it may well be worth adding a few more in anyway so if i was you i would deffinitely put some in the lid.

Other than that is there any way you can move them to a cooler room. For example if you are housing them up stairs maybe moving them down stairs.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 06/06/2010 00:26:44
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

143 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  09:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry elament, i popped round to my mum's yesterday afternoon til late evening,

i have a digital thermometer, a lucky reptile one. has two sensors, i used to use my fish tank thermostat but that was about as much use as a chocolate teapot lol

dee x x x x

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  12:23:07  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deedee71

sorry elament, i popped round to my mum's yesterday afternoon til late evening,

i have a digital thermometer, a lucky reptile one. has two sensors, i used to use my fish tank thermostat but that was about as much use as a chocolate teapot lol

dee x x x x

LOL well hopefully now you have dropped the temp a degree or so then the little fella will be a bit more comfy. Good luck!!

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000