Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Zincubus
Hatchling

197 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  18:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys , just got my first corn snake !!

It's only about 9" or 10" long and is black/grey .

I beautiful anerythristic . he's already used to handling which is a bonus .

My only question , at this stage is , I bought 2 of those twisty, dark brown vines for £19.99 but just wondering if I should have bought the special lamp unit that fixes on top of the viv for £30 instead ??

Are the vines of any interest or use to the litle snake at this age ??

Would it better to take them back and get a lamp instead and then get vines in a few months or so , if at all ??

I don't really like the look of them to be honest but if snakey will enjoy climbing around them I will keep them .

Just seems like I made a bad choice :(
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  21:34:59  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
corns will love the vines and wont appreciate a light,you made the right choice

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  21:38:30  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
some snakies love climbing so shall probs enjoy them but not all snakes are active some will just hide away. i mean most of my snakes love climbing and only one or two stay hidden away so i think ya should just keep the vines and ask ya snakie so to speak n if he doesnt like it well i have defo 8 snakies that will enjoy them :D ;)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

197 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  21:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read somewhere that corn snakes are moe ground based and won't do much climbing , in that case I may have wasted £20 ??

Edited by - Zincubus on 29/07/2010 00:15:24
Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

197 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2010 :  00:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also I couldn't see any way of adjusting the heat mat so presuambly it's just a preset temp and snakey decides wether stay in the warmer bit of the cooler section .

Correct ??

Its a Exo Terra Heat Wave Rainforest heat pad . Just for glass vivariums I understand. It sticks on the outside of the tank on the base . It's covered with an inch of beech chip substrate .

Just put my hand through the substrate onto the bottom of the tank over the pad and it was just nice and warm ,NOT hot ,at all ,so no chance of burning .

Just got a digital type thermostat reeading 70 degrees .

Sorry for double posting , I put the other question in the wrong place , I believe.
It came as a starter kit for a bigger snake but I thought it would save me buying another one in six months or so .

Its a Exo Terra set up - 12 by 12 and 18 inches high.

The little snake is about 8 inches and fairly slim as you probably realise.

THe shop said it was eating 2 pinkies , once a week .
Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

197 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2010 :  01:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
???
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2010 :  10:01:25  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice headlow :p although I really wnat to see your mbk ;)

Corns will climb if you give them the chance, they sometimes climb in the wild on trees to find food although how much your snake climbs, depends on the snake.

You need a stat to controll the temp of a heatmat, and I *think* there is one exo terra heat mat that is unsuitable to use but I can't remeber for the life of me which one it is :( I can't even remember why it wasn't good to use either now.

Do you have a glass viv? Or is it a wooden one? Is the inch substrate all over the viv level or does it thin out at the hot end?

The snake is 8 inches? I think * personally* double pinkies is too much for a snake that size personally and was only probably fed that at a petshop to make it grow quicker as if it's 8 inches, it sounds like a just hatched snake to me, and a tiny hatchling at that. Do you know how old it is at all?

Making a new topic may have een better for this though ;)

I still need to get better pics of my new viv stack :o don't think I've posted it yet.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2010 :  11:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Nice headlow :p although I really wnat to see your mbk ;)

Ok, your wish is my command

SSShhhhh a few sneaky non corn pics......

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2010 :  16:20:39  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow he's such a beauty! I will have to get one of these guys one day! Your's is so shiny I love the reflection of the rainbow on his belly!

I love his hide as well and his viv, he has a very shiny hide as well lol

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2010 :  17:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers, those pics are a couple months old at least now. He no longer fits into those wee hides, and he's transferred into a 3 ft viv. He seems to be bigger every day now.

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

Stacii
Egg

80 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2010 :  20:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Haven't yet got branches but there's some nice new plant bling for Venom and I added an extra hide for the babies!

Babies are just over a foot, this is plenty big enough for them before anyone jumps on me >.<

Before people ask me about bulb guards I never knew about them until I joined here and I use heatmats now so the bulbs are not used. I need to take them out. I'm tempted to give Venom a smaller water-bowel so there's room for him to climb but of course, a smaller water-bowl would mean he would never be able to bathe in the bowel but he doesn't bathe anyway.

I'll put up more pics when they all move into their new vivs or they get new bling.

can i jus ask where you got them little wheelie bins from? they are sooo cute!

Stacii xx

Casper - Ghost corn '10
Mist - Anery Corn - '07
Cherry - Normal Corn - '10
Amber - Amel Corn - '10
Willow - Normal Royal - '09
Star - Normal het Anery corn - '11
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2010 :  21:48:38  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My Dad lol, he knows someone at work who has an fascination with wheelybins/designs them (not sure which lol)

You can buy them at places though as they are meant to store pencils and other desktop items, I think they are called desktop wheelibin or minibins.

Go to Top of Page

Stacii
Egg

80 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2010 :  22:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My Dad lol, he knows someone at work who has an fascination with wheelybins/designs them (not sure which lol)

You can buy them at places though as they are meant to store pencils and other desktop items, I think they are called desktop wheelibin or minibins.

cool

Stacii xx

Casper - Ghost corn '10
Mist - Anery Corn - '07
Cherry - Normal Corn - '10
Amber - Amel Corn - '10
Willow - Normal Royal - '09
Star - Normal het Anery corn - '11
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2010 :  22:23:52  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zincubus

Also I couldn't see any way of adjusting the heat mat so presuambly it's just a preset temp and snakey decides wether stay in the warmer bit of the cooler section .

Correct ??

Its a Exo Terra Heat Wave Rainforest heat pad . Just for glass vivariums I understand. It sticks on the outside of the tank on the base . It's covered with an inch of beech chip substrate .

i take it your not using a thermostat to control the mat temps which is very very dangerous and you will end up burning your snake,there is no need to have that much substrate over the heat as it will struggle to get hot enough,you just need a thin layer as the mats on the out side.Im surprised the bottom of your glass tank has not cracked yet through the heat,i would rather go for a plastic faunarium

Go to Top of Page

CSN
Hatchling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  21:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my setup

0.1.0 Karma - Creamsicle
0.1.0 Precious - Royal

http://www.TCS-Chat.tk
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  16:46:28  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just moved TaLuLa from her faun to her new viv

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

mowdid
Egg

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  00:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys

After cleaning Ambers tank out today i took a couple of pics to post on here

It used to be a 24x18x12 Fish Tank (my sister didnt want any more after she sold her turtles)
we will be changing it for a 3ft viv once amber is a bit bigger/older

I didnt realise when i took this photo that she was sitting in the top of the plant

0.1.0 - Amel Corn - Amber
1.0.0 - Carolina Corn - Sid
0.0.1 - Striped Cali King - Kong
0.1.0 - Miami Corn - Mimi
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  02:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CSN - Great setup for Karma....is she in it now and have you done more to it (added extra greenery etc)?

Mikey - Love some of the things you have in TaLuLa's viv. Great looking tree stump and does she use the ladder at all? (although it doesnt get her anywhere so it much be very frustrating ) I know pics can be deceiving but my only comment would be that it seems very bare in the front between the hides....have you thought about a branch or vines to go across? Just a suggestion.

Mowdid - Amber's tank is looking great and it is good to see a fishtank that has been successfully altered into a viv. The white branches and aspen look stunning in comparison with the greenery and brown hides. Looks like she has a lovely lot of cover in it and obviously enjoys climbing (whoever said corns werent arboreal !). Its sweet seeing her hiding up there, especially as you didnt realise it when you took the pic!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

boogles
Hatchling

131 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  23:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

faun with heat mat and mat stat.... on polystyrene base...

here is BUZZ...

Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  15:05:45  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Got a wide angle view of some of mine at the moment:

Is that a hospital issue puke bowl you have as a hide???

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000