Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:27:21  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow I love the branches! They are lovely! I would love to be able to make my own viv. I have no idea about the temps an the holes in the roof but that could be possible, is there vents at the side on the bottom?

Thank's mate I'll try, think I might need a stool to stand above my stack lol

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  17:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pardon the thick question mate, but does your viv have glass??
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  19:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Danny, that's a damn good idea for cutting a vent whole in a background. Yeah they're usually made of stiff styrofoam or polystyrene or something. As for making one, my bro made a great floor for our bearded dragon with polystyrene, grout and paint, looks awesome, but I know I won't get a background to look as good as the one we have seen. As for why and what benefit it would be? It would look good and give the viv a natural look inside plus some extra dimentions for Bella to climb on. I know it might not be everyones cup of tea, but we all have our own ideas of what looks good and whats beneficial I guess. Same reason some people have rock looking water bowls and others have bright pink ones for example, personal preference :)

Think we'll go with cutting holes in the background over the vents rather than risking my DIY cutting skills on the side of a viv lol, but will let you all know how things go when we get it and post pics.

Jon

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  19:52:16  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah no I didn't mean it like that, sorry! The backgrounds do look awesome I admit but I don't think I would put one in with my adults, I would with little ones but most of their rubs sides are covered up anyway.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  05:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sta-ple- Yes. There is a large vent on the bottom of each side wall. That is probably contributing to the problem. I wanted alot of fresh air in the tank but didn't think about keeping the heat in!!!

hillzi-The whole front of the tank is glass.

For some reason the pic isn't working today so here is a link. http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7924/dscf1016a.jpg

Edited by - n/a on 04/07/2010 06:05:02
Go to Top of Page

leeoc1982
Snake Mite

24 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  11:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Nicely done mate, I'd pack them both out with more bits, and try to get some tall sticks, so if they can and want to, they can make space of the height given.

I'd ditch the dial thermometers, hit up 'digital aquarium thermometers' on ebay much cheaper and generally more acurate.

Youv'e impressed me though fella, gaurding those lights! Homework done, what we like to see.

thanks the white things are Thermometer & Hygrometers i got them purely for a rough gauge on humidity levels.

There both ongoing projects so im always adding things and changing them around, to try and keep them amused.

feeding time for them so im off!
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  15:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good, I'm always rearranging my se ups, for instance I bought new plants, fixed up a stick, and cork bark this weekend for a bit of a mix up!
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  18:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries Staple I wasn't having a go, problem with text, can't tell tone of voice :D

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  04:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are great vivs you have there Lee. That is one lucky snake (and a beautiful one as well ) that you have just taken on.

Hillzi does make a point about maybe adding some branches to fill up the height of the vivs....although your corns wont necessarily use them, not all corns like climbing, but it will look good.

I do like the brick idea as well. I have gone the same route, just more natural....with a large rock in each viv holding down the probes.

Interesting snake hammock....is it ever used? If it is I would love to see a pic of your snake in it.

As for your dial thermometers....I have a couple on the back of Silvesta's viv (from when we bought it) and people always assume that they are what I am using to monitor the temps, when I do know better. Your viv certainly looks hi-tech with the digital equipment on display!

Very interesting viv OPP. I know you are somewhere where it is difficult to look after corns and get what you need for them, so it looks like you have done an amazing job. What is it that you have on the floor of their viv?

I wouldnt worry too much about the air temp in the viv, as long as the snakes are getting the correct temp through the heatmat then they will be fine.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned to you before, but there are some dangers of keeping 2 snakes together in 1 viv. I wont go into details here but it may be worthwhile checking out this thread about co-habiting. I know it is a long one and it shows how emotional people can get on this subject....but it is worth reading for the sakes of your snakes - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 09/07/2010 10:57:06
Go to Top of Page

leeoc1982
Snake Mite

24 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  23:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea im adding bits all the time. only ever seen him sliding over the hammock, never laying in it with a glass of pimms!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  08:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog-Whilst corns aren't appreciated there are definately alot of reptile keepers around. There are shops were you can buy all the supplies you need. I got alot of my supplies over the internet. Alot cheaper than buying similar quality in a shop.

In regards to keeping the two together they are sisters of the same age and have been living together for the last 7 years so theres no problems/risk there. They often curl up together-wrapped around each other sharing body heat I assume.

I have put a towel over half of the tank covering the holes and the air temperature is now a balmy 29 degrees!!!
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  14:03:36  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OPP

In regards to keeping the two together they are sisters of the same age and have been living together for the last 7 years so theres no problems/risk there. They often curl up together-wrapped around each other sharing body heat I assume.

This can be them competing for space.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  06:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by OPP

I don't think that that is what is happening with mine. I am no expert but I have never seen any aggression or adverse signs.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  11:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OPP

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by OPP

I don't think that that is what is happening with mine. I am no expert but I have never seen any aggression or adverse signs.

Please just take the time to read the thread I directed you to OPP. I know they have been living together for a long time, but you have no idea what is actually going on between them and, as you have said, you are no expert so wouldnt know what to look out for. Corns can live together for ages and then, for some reason, it can become a problem and cause stress or even worse.

Because you are new to this just take the time to educate yourself on the risks of keeping them together, and once you have done that then it is your choice as to whether they stay together or whether you separate them....but at least it will be an informed choice rather than just going on what has always been done.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  17:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is Chandler's viv...

and Sid's....

my Mexican Milks...

my MBK's

and finally my 09 Royals

1.0.0 Snow Corn

Edited by - headlow on 14/07/2010 11:12:05
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  18:10:04  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice set ups headlow. I ordered Reggies viv yesterday so will be getting that set up at the weekend and will start decking it out

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2010 :  10:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see Chandlers viv has got a nice bit of bamboo root in there, i like those roots!

Nice vivs headlow.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  05:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic vivs Headlow, great examples for those wanting to set up vivs for their growing snakes !

One question - how do you find Chandler, Sid and your Mexican Milks amongst all that foliage, branches etc ?!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  08:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hehe it can take a bit of time, but I don't mind at all. Sid's is the most crowded cos to be honest when I got him he probably wasn't ready to go in the 2 ft viv. But I packed it out with the branches and greenery (plus he has 5 hides) and he's thriving. Believe it or not even with all that cover 90% of the time he can be found on the rock plateau at the front right of the viv. He's a nosy little fella and he likes to keep an eye on whats going on. He's in shed at the moment though so he's not to be seen :(

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  09:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool Viv's! I like all the branches and foliage for them, looks cool. We order our vivexotic v36 and cabinet/stand on tuesday! Can't wait to get it and set it up, just need to wait until next month to get more fake plants, new larger heat mat etc... but getting there.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000