Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  23:57:34  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just to add that all Rubs are also different dimensions, I have 2 50L rubs that measure 27 inches long, 18 wide and 8 tall.
This is ample for a snake (by our guides) of 45 inches long, or nearly 4ft.
The hissle seemed happy in one of those, yet Marshmallow didn't.
All snakes are different as are a vast amount of RUB sizes.

quote:
Originally posted by Bio

[quote]
...And as for dismissing other peoples comments as wrong, this is a forum with opinions, if my opinion is that he is wrong... deal with it. I would likewise tell you that you are wrong without a moments hesitancy if i thought you were, and of course that would be my opinion... nothing more.......

We have no issue with anyone voicing opinions, or disagreeing with others opinions.
However, doing it more gently is prefered, Please remember that!!!

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  05:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I certainly didnt expect that to happen when I commented about preferring vivs to RUBs! Sorry to have caused some conflict here .

Thank you so much for showing me Rockie's RUB Danny (and you Sta~ple). I do see what you mean about you being able to see into them, but not totally clearly. I think that is what I like so much about the vivs, as it is clear glass you get to see everything....every tongue flick and every glint in Silvesta's eyes! But then I have only ever dealt with adults in vivs, if I were to get a smaller snake then I can understand the reasoning behind using RUBs until it was big enough to move into a viv - although I will say that my final aim would be to move it into a viv.

I must post some pics of my 2....havent done it in ages. I have got some great pics through the glass showing them wrapped around their branches and one of Silvesta almost in a strike pose.

And yes Sta~ple, the branches are from our garden. Luckily my OH knows his trees so knows what is safe and then I treat them and back them. They really are beautiful and you can move the same branch to different positions in the viv to make changes and then I have other branches waiting to be used at some point. I just love the natural look.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  09:06:47  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kellog, mine are only in RUB's and sill stay in RUB's until they move into a final sized house which will be a viv :) I dislike my rubs as it seems foggy when looking though and putting light to it doesn't help :( A;though it is an excuse to lift the lid and get them out to see if the are ok ;) To me it seems like no point putting a corn in a 2ft viv as some can be small enough to escape through the glass. I think though when they can't escape through the glass bit of viv's I will section an area off so they can live and expand it when they are older.

I can see my snake's tongue flicker through the RUB's as they put their nose to it and stick their tongue out :3

They are lovely branches Kellog. Do you fasten them somehow or just put them in? Think I migh have to steal some branches when going dog walking if I know what tree it comes from.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  03:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

They are lovely branches Kellog. Do you fasten them somehow or just put them in? Think I migh have to steal some branches when going dog walking if I know what tree it comes from.

No, they are not fastened in at all but are big enough to sit by themselves and be stable enough for the snakes to climb. Will post pics soon that show them on their branches.....

I think if you do a search on here you should be able to find some clue as to what branches you can use and what you cant....I am sure there was a topic about it in the last few months.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  21:37:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haven't yet got branches but there's some nice new plant bling for Venom and I added an extra hide for the babies!

Babies are just over a foot, this is plenty big enough for them before anyone jumps on me >.<

Before people ask me about bulb guards I never knew about them until I joined here and I use heatmats now so the bulbs are not used. I need to take them out. I'm tempted to give Venom a smaller water-bowel so there's room for him to climb but of course, a smaller water-bowl would mean he would never be able to bathe in the bowel but he doesn't bathe anyway.

I'll put up more pics when they all move into their new vivs or they get new bling.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  03:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are great little RUBS for your babies Sta~ple....I love the wheelie bins for hides !!

Venom's viv is looking good and will look even better once you have got a nice branch in for him. You have got lots of greenery in there that makes it look so natural....lucky snake . I would definitely go for the smaller water bowl if he doesnt use the big one to bathe in....I tried a big one for Kellog but he never went in it so took it out and have been able to use the space for an extra branch and some rocks.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  11:02:40  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Those are great little RUBS for your babies Sta~ple....I love the wheelie bins for hides !!

Venom's viv is looking good and will look even better once you have got a nice branch in for him. You have got lots of greenery in there that makes it look so natural....lucky snake . I would definitely go for the smaller water bowl if he doesnt use the big one to bathe in....I tried a big one for Kellog but he never went in it so took it out and have been able to use the space for an extra branch and some rocks.

xxx

Thanks ^^ I ended up buying a Java branch as all the ones in my area are bug infested or diseased. Thanks for putting my mind at rest about the bowels ^^

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  10:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some great setups there! I like the binder idea Judith, might try that when Bella moves into her Viv (next month hopefully), so when she
does, will get pics up of her in it :D

Has anyone seen Viv's that aren't home made with the vents in the sides, not the back? As we want to put a solid 3D bacground in, but don't obviously want the vents covering up + if it's against a wall, surely side vents would allow for better air circulation? Just a thought.. if not, can always cut holes in the background :( lol, or, but a bit worried about doing this, cut holes in the side of the viv, get some vents off eBay and fit them, but not sure if it would damage/splinter the wood since its MDF. Any ideas welcome from all you ace Viv interior decorators and builders :D

Jon

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  12:09:28  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nope never seen one with them at the side. I was thinking how you would put a background on with the vents as well. I guess you would have to remove the vents, put the background on and then cut where the vents will go back into place. The vents will have like a little lip or edge that will cover up any wonky cutting to a certain degree.

As for splintering, I have no idea. I don't really see the point in 3d background in wooden vivs to be honest though, they look nice but there is no benefit.

Edit: I've seen hat someone made their own 3d background once? I have no idea what they made it out of but they did it custom for their dragon and the dragon could like climb on the background and bask.

Edited by - Sta~ple on 01/07/2010 12:10:46
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  15:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow didn't notice I hadn't stuck my set ups in here, thought I did..

Ah well, have some..

edit: forgot to add pics...

Blaze's current and permanent 64L RUB;

Any questions regarding the newspaper or challenge me for using RUB's for life for corns fire away.

His old 33L RUB;

His very first enclouser, a 33cm perfecto glass viv.

When if rist ever got him, hence the sock.

And Blitz' viv.

Edit2: I know Blitz's rub temps are a bit too high in the cool end, the water temps 19.3* so he can go cool off, I regular top it up, he's not left the cool end.

Edited by - hillzi on 01/07/2010 16:01:51
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  16:23:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How come one snake gets a viv and the other a RUB if you don't mind me asking? And how come the Viv is bigger than the RUB? Can I be rude and ask about the dimensions of your RUB cause if I get any more snakes they will probably be in RUB's. Where you get the big stick that's in the viv? Did you ever find that the ink off the newspapers came off on the snake's belly?

Kinda wishing I got RUB's for adults since they are easier to clean and you don't have to seal them :/ Although they never look as good but inside your's look amazing! I have never seen a viv so nicely decorated before lol

Oh also, with the RUB being that big, do you put your heat mat inside the RUB or outside?
I need to post my new pimped up vivs on here :o

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  16:33:51  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a similar sized RUB for rocky and his heatmat is outside. That way you don't have to drill a hold and take the plug off to put the wire through, just all around easier to do it that way.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  20:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

Some great setups there! I like the binder idea Judith, might try that when Bella moves into her Viv (next month hopefully), so when she
does, will get pics up of her in it :D

Has anyone seen Viv's that aren't home made with the vents in the sides, not the back? As we want to put a solid 3D bacground in, but don't obviously want the vents covering up + if it's against a wall, surely side vents would allow for better air circulation? Just a thought.. if not, can always cut holes in the background :( lol, or, but a bit worried about doing this, cut holes in the side of the viv, get some vents off eBay and fit them, but not sure if it would damage/splinter the wood since its MDF. Any ideas welcome from all you ace Viv interior decorators and builders :D

Jon

i have seen hand made vivs that have vents on the side but never a bought one.
for the background thing, to get the vents, roughly a can (can of beans) is about the smae dimension of a vent, so what to do is cut the can open, with the whole can being sharp at the top, and then put the can on the background, and then cut through, that way u have a perfect circle where the vent is, but to be honest, i would go with having the paper, laminated stuff, as u can get patters on that like desert or rainforest, that is what i plan to do

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  09:00:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
^ Wooooooh you vents are massive!

You generally use polystyrene to make the backgrounds but I don't know what you can use to "paint" on it to make it look pretty and water tight.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/habitat/526177-crestie-fake-rock-background-tutorial.html
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/habitat/355117-another-fake-rock-background-build.html
http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/
Make me wanna try! It mensions ledges although I have no idea how to put a nice solid one one.

Edited by - Sta~ple on 02/07/2010 09:14:01
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  11:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

How come one snake gets a viv and the other a RUB if you don't mind me asking? not at all, one the rub was free, two the viv came with the snake and i didn't have £70 spare for a viv for Blaze when IMO he's a bit small for a viv atm, and purely to see what holds the temps better. And how come the Viv is bigger than the RUB?coz unfortunately you can't get 3ft rubs! Can I be rude and ask about the dimensions of your RUB cause if I get any more snakes they will probably be in RUB's.off the top of my head no, but check the reallyusefullproducts website on the 64L RUB. Where you get the big stick that's in the viv? the drfitwood type came with the snake, and the paler stick I found and treated myself. Did you ever find that the ink off the newspapers came off on the snake's belly? No not in six months I personally feel thats scaremongering to avoid using newspaper, the snake will shed and it'd come off that way.

Kinda wishing I got RUB's for adults since they are easier to clean and you don't have to seal them :/ Although they never look as good but inside your's look amazing! I have never seen a viv so nicely decorated before lol Wow thanks, but i feel that Rachel's viv for Mushu is a hell of a lot nicer than mine, i just throw everything in there so to speak. Some people, i.e breeders, try to keep costs down and dont buy the decor, but I do, as theyr'e my pets, and plus my lads are proper little climbers.

Oh also, with the RUB being that big, do you put your heat mat inside the RUB or outside? outside, and inside I've fixed the stat cable and thermometer probe, currently sat at 28.4*. I'm pleased.
I need to post my new pimped up vivs on here :o

Go to Top of Page

leeoc1982
Snake Mite

24 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  14:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my snake vivs, the top one is brand new due to me taking in an 8 year old male.

and here he is

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  15:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done mate, I'd pack them both out with more bits, and try to get some tall sticks, so if they can and want to, they can make space of the height given.

I'd ditch the dial thermometers, hit up 'digital aquarium thermometers' on ebay much cheaper and generally more acurate.

Youv'e impressed me though fella, gaurding those lights! Homework done, what we like to see.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  15:18:12  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks ^^ Yeh I think people so scare people not to use newspaper, like they say ink can get wet and poison animals but our chickens eat their newspaper and they have been alright... apart from the dead/dying ones but that's nothing to do with the paper XD May get some RUB's from Staples since they have an offer on... can stock up for like in a years time for when they need to move RUB's unless I figure a way to partition it.

Wow very nice! Nvere thought about putting a brink in before, may do that so they defintly can't move the probes :o I've got some like clay/cerment half a pipe that they love so I may add it back in one of their viv's again now that I've seen simiular in yours! Do you ever find your snake presses the buttons on that thing in his viv How big is his viv? He looks very happy in there!

How do you people take pictures if your vivs without the glass reflecting like mad! I have some photos but you cant see the viv, only my curtains, bed and me cause of the reflections :(

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  16:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pure effort of putting pics up, and I'm doing a whole re-arrangment later.. d'oh!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  13:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here's the tank that I recently built.
Cost about $350 (this is 2 thermostats, heat cord, lamp holders, bulbs and timber) and many hours!!! Its not big as I would have liked but I don't have enough room for anything bigger at the moment.

It is 1200mm long, 500mm deep and 600mm tall.

The bottom of the tank (1/3 of the floor on the right hand side) has been routed out and a heat cord placed in the recess and then a thin sheet of glass siliconed down. This provides under substrate heating. This is set to 30 degrees via thermostat under the glass with the heat cord.
There is a ceramic heat lamp and a light bulb (which was going to be on a timer but this light isn't used-they just get natural sunlight)

The front of the tank is 4mm glass that runs in a plastic track that was glued into another routed out recess along the top and bottom of the tank. At each end there is a fly screen clip that locks the glass in place so it can't be opened.

On the right hand side there is a recess for the thermostat probe.

The lid has many holes drilled in it-it took ages!!!!

I am having trouble getting the temperature of the air up in the hot end. The air is around the 22 degree mark. I'm thinking that it is because there are too many holes in the roof and all the hot air is escaping.

Their three hides are the hollow branch, under the water bowl and under the ceramic hide (which was made by cutting the bottom off a teracotta pot found on the side of the road)

Staple- Don't stand directly in front of your viv when you take the photo or the flash will reflect into the camera. Try standing to the side or above it.

Edited by - n/a on 04/07/2010 05:38:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000