Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  08:56:31  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, basically i thought it would be very cool to start a thread so that I can hear about how/why some of you named your snakes (and other pets)...so i'll start..

It took me a while to come up with the name for my little'n. I went through lots of different Gods, translations and a few (favourite) film related names. Then I remembered AURYN, the name of the mystical talisman from the film/book "The never ending story"...a childhood favourite (and it was either going to be AURYN or willy wonka, i think i made the right descision lol). I'm sure you've notived that i also always write it in capitals - specifically due to it being written this way in the book.

My partner and I also have a cat called Puzzle - though I didn't name her, she was aptly named due to being ever so slightly cross-eyed, and therefore always looks a little "puzzled"; not only that, but also she always seems to walk about with her tail in the shape of a question mark which is very cute.

So there you go...i really hope to hear some more naming stories to learn a little more about you guys/gals and your pets.

Thanks, Garrie

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  09:13:30  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Our Snake is yet to be named (as we dont have it yet). However my wife and i have both chosen names, we'll put these into a hat and pick on at random. They are mostly film related Star Wars and Harry Potter mainly.

Our cat Tallulah, was in fact Bruce for the first 6weeks we owned her. We think she was given to us at to younger age, or she was the runt of the litter. We were told it was a boy, we took her to the vets and they said that she was too young to tell, but they'd have a better idea when she went back for her second lot of jabs. To which end we found out he was a she and thus a name change. I clearly didnt pick the name...

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  09:26:38  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Romeo got his name as I have always wanted a snake named Romeo.. and he was my 1st snake. Madame Mim is named after the Mad Madame Mim in disneys sword in the stone (she turns herself into a snake during her battle with Merlin). Griffin is named after Peter Griffin (family guy hahaha). Merlin was just a name I liked then realised it went well with Madame Mim cos of the sword in the stone...and they are my ony 2 kingsnaks . Vedder is named after Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam... he was a wedding anniversary pressie from hubby and I walked down the aisle to Pearl Jam.

Seems how cats are being mentioned too I better mention mines... My little dood is Elvis. He got his name as when we got him he would constantly meow and reminded me of singing. Our other cat is called Miki (pronounced mee-key) which is innuit for "little one"...shes a small and delicate cat.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/

Edited by - Mamma on 28/07/2011 09:38:32
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  09:54:28  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
marmalade- hummmm well if u cant work it out she looks the same colour as well marmalade

bumble- well hes yellow an black kinda like a bumbel bee

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  11:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a few snakes, but here goes;

Theo - we were unsure as to whether he/she is a boy/girl (still are!) so its short for either Theodore or Theodora haha
Cleo - Zooms around like a little boy racer in his Renault Cleo
Pixie - Snow corn, so needed to have a name my OH could associate with Pink
Gerry - Our rat snake. He's very michevious, so its Gerry from Tom and Gerry (rat and mouse, you get the connection!)

...and as for the two new babies

Terry - cubed pattern of brown and orange OR some would say CHOCOLATE and ORANGE, therefore its Terry
Joop - little amel stripe, but quite a vibrant tinge to her, like the aftershave bottle. So its Joop

Some strange ones I know!

Location - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
Go to Top of Page

Spindle
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  14:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eva. I love the wall E film

0.1.0 Eva the beautiful anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  14:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Hmm... Gotta name my snake... I KNOW! I like Red Dwarf, so you shall be Lister!"

Cat is called Boo, because she suited the name. However, she is now called Beeper, as when we took her home, she kept beeping, and it stuck as a nickname, which is pretty much her proper name now haha!
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  15:41:15  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When I rescued/adopted my 2 I was a scared and 100% novice and all I could see was 1 red snake and 1 white snake re named Rhubarb and Custard.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  17:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loki was named after the God of Mischief on the first day we got him as he looked so cheeky. Falcor was named after the luck dragon in Never Ending Story (as garrie has worked out) because to me,he's magical and I feel so lucky to own him. Sabai was named by his previous owner and it suits him so the name stays with him. Ofelia is named after the girl in Pans Labyrinth,as she's a little princess to me.
Kalypso is named after the character in Pirates of the Caribbean after she caused a mini flood from knocking her water bowl over. Flame is named Flame due to him being a Fire. Echo and Eli (my house snakes) are named after 2 African elephants in an ongoing documentary as they originate from Africa. Last in the snakes,but certainly not least is Petal,my Hoggie. She's named after my family's affectionate name for my Grandad who passed away last week.
My ****atiel was named Amy,as I thought she looked like an Amy. The guinea pigs are named Patch and Tufty for obvious reasons. Max just seemed like a good name for my millipede. The sticks,although female are all called Steve as I went out with someone and the kids called him Steve the stick. Oh,and the snails are all names Gary after the Gary the Snail from Spongebob.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  19:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blaze - because when we got her she had deep orange/red patches so i wanted a fire related name!
Fluffy - He came with the name+i kept it because a) its cute and b) the othe rhalf wasnt keen on it LOL
Falcor (O.H's kenyan sand boa, but kinda a joint pet) - again, from the dragon in never ending story
Chilli the bearded dreagon - came with the name, but named chilli because of the orange,red and yellow on her

Our cats (now ours, but ade got them with his brother):
Mia - ade+his brother named her mia as it was a pretty name
Jackson - named as he's got alot of black on him and ade's brother noticed how in 80's films there's often a coloured guy called jackson LOL

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)
Go to Top of Page

flibberty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  19:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to call mine Falcor but the OH disagreed.
After much debating with me liking dragon names and him wanting to call her Susan we settled on my friends suggestion of Calypso after a Greek Goddess. My sisters name is Calista also and I think the OH thinks this is what he can call the snake instead!
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  19:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love The Never Ending Story Definitely one of my favourite films!
I hope you're ready for this....

Goonie - after the film The Goonies! because its great
Dinger - after a character in the film Dream A Little Dream, because it sounded like a cool name
Felix - just popped into my head one day and it really stuck
Salem - After the Salem Witch Trials; wanted something spooky since he's a bit spooky looking
Mew - Short for Muesli... but also to sort of match the accidental cat theme i had going (with Salem & Felix)

Harrison the royal python - after George Harrison
Rumpelsnakeskin the taiwanese beauty - i just needed a pure ridiculous name!
Terrible Tex the bull snake - because she has a seriously bad attitude and bulls are found in Texas
Ofelia the cali king - she came with the name, and it suits her
Bruno the house snake - Again, it just popped into my head one day and stuck! Also, he is brown
Dela the house snake - after a song by a South African artist, since my housies are South African
Snausage the KSB - snake + sausage, since KSBs are a little sausagey looking
Jellybean the KSB - mum wanted to call her Beans to match Snausage, but Jellybean sounded better
Humbug von Badgersnake the mexican rosy boa - these, humbugs and badgers are all black and white
Arkham the mid-baja rosy boa - sat there and thought "gee... i havent given something a Batman themed name in a while. Shame on me."

Gravy the leopard gecko - what would you have called a bright yellow lizard??
Alice the leopard gecko - A for Alice, A for albino!
Seth the leopard gecko - after Seth Green, since they are both short
Murphy the leopard gecko - after Cillian Murphy, because i like him
Taz the leopard gecko - because she is absolutely bonkers
Duchamp the leopard gecko - after a character from the film Stand By Me
Ace the leopard gecko - because she was the first thing i ever hatched
Remy LeBeau the crested gecko - after Gambit from X-Men
Cyndi the crested gecko - after Cyndi Lauper
Margot the crested gecko - french name to match Remy
Pickles the gargoyle gecko - i just thought it was a super cute name, and didnt have anything named after food
Balthazar the gargoyle gecko - i'd just watched the film The Sorcerers Apprentice and liked the name
Max the monitor - named by my dad, because he's a big chunk (Max, not my dad)
Wilbur the PTS - i wanted an 'old man name' that was still kind of cute

Chewy the gerbil - quite simply, because she chews on stuff
Hannibal the gerbil - named by my mum
Fox the gerbil - has a white tail tip, like a fox
Misty the gerbil - just a cute name really
Fosbury the gerbil - after the 'fosbury flop' because he jumps and leaps everywhere
Boots the gerbil - is black with little white feet
Tiffin - named by my mum
Millie the parrotlet - cute but girly name for her
Calvin the parrotlet - i had CK knickers on at the time, and was short on ideas
Grayson the doggie - after Díck Grayson, as is Robin/Nightwing from the Batman universe
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  20:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BATMAN!!! yeeeeeeeeeeey! (Ima bat-geek sorry hahaha)

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  20:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A proud bat-geek i hope!
We are the best kind of people lol

Edited by - Figs on 28/07/2011 20:05:28
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  20:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vin the Cornsnake - because he has a very clear V marking on his head, and I'd just listened to the song Vincent by Don McClean, which me and my OH love!

Rio the brb - because she's a Brazilian Rainbow Boa :-)

Others:

Binky the rabbit - Terry Pratchett theme here!
Jess the Springer Spaniel - arrived her name
Gypsy the Lurcher - She was found wandering or perhaps travelling somewhere, like a gypsy! The kennel had been calling her Lilo for a week but I couldn't stand the name!
Ace & Indy the Gerbils - Ace just because, and Indy because he was adventurous like Indianna Jones!

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  21:08:05  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Snakes
Phoenix-at the time Robbie williams bought out the song phoenix from the flames, (sad but true)
Savanna-just cos it suits her
Indiana- plucked from thin air (but i think the usa theme is a keeper)
Cats
Roo-my ex named her from winnie the poo.
Butternut-my sons choice but she is ginger same as a butternut.
Mia-randomly suits her
Dogs
Zeda-again my exs choice
Sparkle-came with that name, she was a rescue
Chinchillas
Ellie, disney, harry and george all rehomed all came with these names
There is no way i am naming all the fish, there are too many and would never beable to tell them apart....ooo i tell a lie. My plec is called mr plec. haha

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  21:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snakes
Colin - already had his name from a good friend of mine
Horatio - Partly just cool name but he's an amel and a CSI Mimai detective with this name has very orange hair.
Hetty - liked the name but also she's a character with atitude in NCIS and my anery is a tail rattler, so it seemed to fit.

Dogs
Hector, Rosie, Quinn had their names and knew them when they arrived.
Brock is a black and white lad and thought he looked a bit like a badger, I was fostering him so got to name him and he stayed.
Cleo was very aloof and elegant when I got her and made me think of Cleopatra, so Cleo for short.
Penny had the name Poppy, which I wasn't keen, on so it was changed to something similar.

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  00:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Seth the leopard gecko - after Seth Green, since they are both short

Genius
Twilight - after the time of day because he was jet black and silver when I got him and very beautiful, reminded me of when the moon first starts to show at night.
Saracen - was named Caramel by his original owner but I wanted to change it for something stronger. Saracen popped into my head out of the blue as I was driving him home and once I saw his aggressive feeding, I felt it really suited him.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  00:24:10  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I kid you knot my hubby is the double of seth green!

Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  08:54:17  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Absolutely loving all your messages and naming stories! Thank you all. Also great to see a few Never Ending Story fans out there ;-)

Also great to see the high percentage of god/godess related names - really goes to show just how special and mythological reptiles really are.

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

flibberty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  14:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My staffie X is called Gypsy - not sure where the name came from.
three dwarf hamsters - Harry, Freddy and Alfie - named by daughter and OH between them
My dog (RIP) was called Buster, named by my sister who was 10 at the time!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000