Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  00:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys and girls

Im very new here and a bit upset. Last night (new yrs eve) I came home to find my snakes starter tank upside down on the floor... I have 2 cats but they have not shown any interest to her (the snake Opal) whatso ever. She's 4 months old and ive had her for 3 weeks, I have got very attached to her and am anxioulsly looking for her.

Doe's anybody have any ideas as to how to find her?

Any info would be much appreciated....

Take Care

Lyn

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  01:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lynne, I am so sorry to welcome you to the forum under these circumstances. You must be so distressed knowing that Opal is loose somewhere in your house. Firstly, she is 4 months old and corn snakes are amazingly hardy so can survive under difficult circumstances, so dont panic (easily said I know).

Now to start trying to find her - when you look for her start from the very top. Ceiling. Start slowly come down from there to top of lampshades if any, down electric wires, anything that dangles from the ceiling. Then you choose the least cluttered wall and start to go down it methodically. If there are shelves, everything comes off them and only gets put back once it's been inspected, books opened, etc. If there are cupboards, the drawers come out completely, and if possibly, the cupboard or closet gets pulled away from the wall so the area behind it can be searched too. The frame of mind is to inspect every surface no matter how unlikely. The floor and any object on it gets done last, and any carpets would get their underside inspected too if possible. If still no go, I'd go under the floorboards.For those awkward places with the pipes I'd get a good torch and a mirror, so you can inspect the hidden areas. Apart from "every surface" I'd also think as if I'm looking for something much smaller e.g. think you're looking for a contact lense. Check near any heat sources - near radiators, pipes, in the oven, the washer, behind the fridge, check all your washing before they go in the washing machine, computer leads, behind tv, sterio, boiler...they will search out heat.

Do any of your seats/sofas have holes in she could have got into?

Make sure you check all clothing, towels etc...especially dirty stuff about to go in the washing machine...one forum member nearly sent her escaped snake for a wet wash.

I know this may sound silly but are you sure she has left faun? Could she be hiding in substrate or in small hole in a branch you have in it? A few forum members have thought their snakes lost but then discovered them buried in substrate. One totally emptied his viv, no snake...but then discovered her curled up under the branch in a really tiny hole.

Try putting the viv on the floor near a dish of water, she may decide to come home by herself. You must put a number of water dishes down cos a snake can go for a long time without food but not long without water.

You could try turning down the heat in the rest of the house and turning it up in the room you hope Opal is in. Also you could try putting the heatmat in a corner with a towel over it and pillows round it, to give her somewhere warm and safe to hide.

I have heard of owners sitting up all night in case the missing snake puts in an appearance, which may be an idea for you to try. Try putting bits of foil or crumpled wrapping paper along skirting boards cos snake will move along edge of room and hopefully you will then hear it move.

When was she last fed? It is worthwhile putting a bottle trap out. This is how to make one http://www.thekingsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263. Dont leave a pinky in a bottle trap for more than 24hrs...throw it away. Wait a few days and then try again.

If she was fed recently then put down some boxes like empty cereal boxes in warm place's, she'll be looking for a warm secure place to digest. You can use covered hot water bottles to offer extra warm places for her to go.

Put flour across doorways so you can see slither marks which will show the snake is around and whether it has gone into or out of a room.
These are some examples of where people have found their snakes - in a box file of paperwork, behind books on a shelf, on a bathroom shelf, curled up in-between plugs in a 4 point adaptor and in their granddad's room in his towel basket as he got out a towel to have a shower! One forum member's OH opened the living room window, pulled the curtain cos of the sun, they heard a thud, thought it was a candle falling over, so didn't take any notice and a few minutes later the snake appeared trying to climb up the wall.

Hope some of this helps (and much thanks to other forum members for their tips 'borrowed').

The main thing is not to give up hope....snakes have gone missing for days, weeks, even months and still turned up healthy and happy.

I hope we can welcome you properly once Opal is found.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 03/01/2010 04:10:32
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  02:26:13  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  09:35:59  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope you find opal soon midwife.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  10:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kellog

Many thanks for your advice. Last night I made up her bed with the heat mat under her hideout and left a pinkie there for her and I went back to it this morning and it had gone.. which is a good sign as I know she hasnt been eaten by the cat. Im going to do the bottle trap but do it in a couple of days as the pinkie she ate was quite big. I have also been told to sprinkle down talcom powder.. is this a good idea?

Thanks for your welcomes and I'll let you know how I get on over the next couple of days.

Take Care all

Lyn ss
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  11:21:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, sorry about your snake. Good news about the food going though, good luck.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  11:33:54  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck on finding your snake

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  12:17:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome and good luck

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  13:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

quote:
Originally posted by Midwife2012

I have also been told to sprinkle down talcom powder.. is this a good idea?

you can use flour around the skirting boards and across doorways so you can get a general idea as to where she has been travelling in the night,
or you can also use tin foil..you can then hear her when she travels across it so you might be able to catch her in the act

fingers crossed you find her soon

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  15:58:13  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What room was the pinky left in?
If it has eaten it, it may now just be looking for somewhere nice and warm to bed down for a couple nights to digest the food.
You could have a pipe or something under a sofa that would be a perfect warm spot.

But just in case, still be careful where you walk and how you move heavy things.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also crisp packets work well as traps as they'd crinkle when snake goes over them.

Welcome to the forum and hope to see pics of the snake when he turns up.
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  18:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum, sorry bowt your snake, i know wat its like to lose your first snake. i lost mine last year, , start of december and still havnt found him. you will though as yours has eaten. good luck

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  21:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum i hope you find your snake

quote:

I have also been told to sprinkle down talcom powder.. is this a good idea?
quote:

Im not to sure about talcom powder only because i think it has traces of a-rsenic which might not be good for snakey!
Try sugar or salt granins as i think that would be a safer option.

Rich.

Edited by - n/a on 02/01/2010 21:44:36
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  18:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rich... I have tried everything and that includes sitting up all night for her..
A friend of mine told me that its possible that the cat could have got the snake but im wondering whether or not the cat would have been ill afterwards!
Anyhow Im still putting traps out with pinkies in bottles etc.. Cant believe how attached I have got towards her in such a little space of time.. Miss getting her out etc...

Lyn x
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  19:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course you are missing her Lyn, and we do get attached to our snakes very quickly when we have them as pets. They are our responsibility and rely on us...and we love their company. I know both my snakes are in shed mode at the moment so I cant handle them, and I miss it so much!

The main thing is not to give up hope and to keep looking. Corns are amazingly hardy and clever. She could very well be curled up somewhere tight, digesting her mouse and safe from the cat.

You are in my thoughts.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  22:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Midwife,

if you have a look through some of these pages you will see so many postive stories of people's snakes turning up fit and well, even after very long periods of time, please keep heart that she will be fine, especially as you were lucky enough that she fed for you. Have you made sure there is fresh water out for her? This is very important as they don't live long without water but can last for ages without food.
All the best,

Tina and Medusa x

1.0.0 normal corn - Medusa
1.1.0 cats - George and Meg
0.0.0.4 Giant African Snails

Location Cranleigh, Surrey
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  14:26:32  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  14:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello from a newbie too, i hope you find your snake real soon.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  01:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys so much for your kind words... No joy with Opal but im remaining positive and yes I have lots of bowls of water around the house that im changing every day.

Take care all xx
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  02:34:22  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Midwife2012

Thanks guys so much for your kind words... No joy with Opal but im remaining positive and yes I have lots of bowls of water around the house that im changing every day.

Take care all xx

There have been a lot of escapes recently, so don't get disheartened.

I was woken the other day at about 7am with the news that my snake had been found, my niece found it sneaking it's way across her bedroom floor.
The most shocking part was that I didn't even realise it had escaped!!

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  16:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

There have been a lot of escapes recently, so don't get disheartened.

I was woken the other day at about 7am with the news that my snake had been found, my niece found it sneaking it's way across her bedroom floor.
The most shocking part was that I didn't even realise it had escaped!!

[/quote]

Oh Phil me too! Best time to find them I reckon!

Tina and Medusa x

1.0.0 normal corn - Medusa
1.1.0 cats - George and Meg
0.0.0.4 Giant African Snails

Location Cranleigh, Surrey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page