Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  00:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi ive heard about assist feeding but im unsure how to go about it
diesel is now 4weeks old and doesnt even aknowledge a pinkie any advice is sought after.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  01:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im not the best with this but a few options i know of are;

Braining the food, use a needle or knife etc to cut the skin and break the skull allowing some of the brains to come out, they are more likely to take if you do this.

Pinkie smoothie, basically a pinky in a wee bit of water then in the blender to make it drinkable.

Halfing a pinkie, use a sharp knife to sut the pinke down the centre, they may be more likely to take a smaller meal and also has the same effect as braining the mouse, if they take the first half the second half can then be offered to the snake

also double check the caresheet and make sure your viv is set up right

too high a temp can cause them to stress and not eat
too low a temp has the same effects and can cause snake to go into brumation

not having a hide in the cold and warm end may also cause stress and stop them feeding

hope this helps and someone will come along and give a better answer if not ;)

if they dont feed you should leave them for 4 or 5 days before trying again to avoid stressing the snake

0.0.1 Striped Cali King "Hunter"
0.0.1 Snow corn "Stockton"
0.0.1 Blue tongue "Thompson"
1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

My photobucket, http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/kevindollar/ Some randoms in there but mostly reps

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

161 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  09:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,
I fed frodo the other day. when I took the fuzzies out of the frezzer two of them were stuck together. I pulled them apart. when they defrosted I noticed that one of them had split open.... it really did smell awfull. When I used my prongs to feed frodo he struk so fast and hard I jumped out of my skin. It was abit messy. the extra smell drove him bonkers.
I would try and brain the pinkie mate or just poke it with a pin to get a stronger scent going.

Brads

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

Edited by - n/a on 29/09/2009 09:05:28
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  10:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KITTYCAT

hi ive heard about assist feeding but im unsure how to go about it
diesel is now 4weeks old and doesnt even aknowledge a pinkie any advice is sought after.

what reaction do you get when you try to feed? are you feeding in or out of his rub/viv?

was he feeding before you got him?

you need to make sure the pinkie is super warm,

failing that have you tried a live pinkie?

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  18:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
diesel is her only hatchling from a clutch she bred herself..

kittycat.. have a look at the thread i made the other day about Aura not feeding,shes a bit older but hasnt fed in over a month now so some of the advice given to me may be of use to you aswell

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  21:52:45  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
assist feeding is the second to last resort before force feeding for non feeders, so you need to try all sorts of tricks first.

a few to try:
braining - cut a slit in the pinkys head and squeeze a bit of goo out
brained pinky in a tiny tub, like the size you get gravy in from a chippy
scenting - rub the pinky on a chick, or if you have pet rodents rub it in their bedding
more scenting - soak a pinky in the water from a tin of tuna
boiled pinky - boil a pinky for 3 minutes, let it cool and feed while its still warm
boiled pinky in a tiny tub
freshly killed pinky instead of frozen/thawed
live pinky - this MUST be supervised, and the pinky removed if the snake shows no interest

plus probably a dozen more that others have tried successfully

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  21:57:15  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Assist feeding is best left as a last resort as it can lead to stress..
I've seen in being done, and I've done it myself.. It can be stressful to you both.

How are preparing the pinky?
Leave it out to defrost out of direct sunlight for a couple hours (take it out, go to work/school come back and be done) and get a hairdryer and super heat it, especially the head.
Try a lot of the above things too, such as time of day/braining the pinky/scenting etc

As she is a hatchling, she should still be living on yolk.. So there is still time for her

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  09:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it does come down to you having to assist feed as a last resort wouldnt it be better to take Diesel to a pet shop that is good near you, if there is one, and get them to do it, or an exotic vet. Have you asked pet shop/vet for advice and support? Think you need to know what you are doing if you assist feed and it certainly should only be used if you have tried every other option. xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000