Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  00:37:57  Show Profile
been thinking about this recently could save quite a bit of money.
but i was talking to a pet shop owner the otherday and he said he had some problems with some frozen mice he had bought , the snakes he was feeding them were dying and i saw a thread on here about something similar .

so what conditions would the mice need to be kept in
newspaper instead of sawdust ? any special food or supps ?
and whats the breeding age of mice is it 5 months ish ?
thanks alot Matt

1.1. corns charlie + charlotte
1.1. corns bubblegum + jaffacake ( gf's)
1.1. bcc Viktor + unknown

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  12:20:13  Show Profile
99% of snake owners have never had a problem with frozen mice, and illnesses/fatalities from such things have never really been proved.

IMO I think it would be cheaper to continue buying frozen mice- you have to house your mice, feed them, set them up some pleasant surroundings (I dont believe that any animal, whether intended for food or not, should ever have to live a substandard life) buy them in the first place etc...

from what I have heard, you may need to have more than one set of females aswell, which would mean more outlay. Plus, you have to spend time cleaning the cages, changing food and water, disinfecting bowls and food containers, and killing them ready for storage.

so much easier to continue buying frozen from a reputable source.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  15:18:55  Show Profile
yeah it was just a though to save some money, we have a lot of mouse/hamster cages from previous pets and mouse food is cheap anyway .
i dont mind having to clean them out often .
i think i will give it a go anyway and if it doesnt work then it dont work and if it does i will save myself a bit of money because with 5 growing mouths to feed its starting to get expensive . as for the killing part i dont have a problem with killing any of the animals so thats not a issue . ive read about it on RFUK and will take it from there .

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  21:10:10  Show Profile
I also heard you need a male and at LEAST 2females, to get a good bulk of babies, i know people who do it. was thinking of trying Noodle on one, but want to wait untill he constricts first, just to see how he would react to it

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  21:27:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

I also heard you need a male and at LEAST 2females, to get a good bulk of babies, i know people who do it. was thinking of trying Noodle on one, but want to wait untill he constricts first, just to see how he would react to it

are you talking about live feeding? if so, what makes you want to try one with your snake?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  21:38:14  Show Profile
I dont know, its something ive wondered, i mean its natural isnt it. It would be interesting for me to see

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  22:17:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i DO live feed one of my boas BUT his is an extreme case - he fed 4 times in the whole of last year for his previous owner. it's NOT something to be taken lightly as it is very risky and, IMO completely unneccessary if your corn is happily eating frozen/thawed

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  22:39:22  Show Profile
I must admit that I certainly wouldnt feed live prey to my snake, not when he is happy eating the dead mice I offer him. His safety is more important than what I might find 'interesting'. It may be natural but there is too much risk of injury to the snake to do it. xxx

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  22:55:36  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
IMO, it may be natural, but any snake that has to eat live mice natural, in most cases, are wild snakes, and therefore have grown up surviving on having to catch and kill their own food,, and so would be able to defend themselves against a mouse.

Mice can be extreamly vicious, and if you chucked one in with a captive bred/reared snake who has never seen a moving mouse, the likelihood that they would cower in a corner rather than fight is highly likely. It wouldn't know how to defend itself, and would probably be gravely injured.

Therefore, again IMO, the risks of hurt to snakie and tbh stress to both parties (i mean how would you rather die, gassed or being crushed?) outweigh the pros of it being "interesting". Like GP said, I agree it should only be used as a last resort!

Sorry for the essay!

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  23:13:37  Show Profile
Punk, its not that a captive snake cant defend itself, a snake is a predator and would know exactly what to do through istinct.

However, a snake being fed live (here in the uk) is normaly a snake that doesnt want to eat in the first place. Its then that the snake will cower (as it wont think "I will kill this so that it wont bother me").

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  23:24:22  Show Profile
personally i wouldnt feed live feed - my lil guy is happy enough on already dead stuff so i dont see the point in changing his habits.. plus id be worried that he could get hurt during the process and if he did id feel awful as i would have only done it for my interest and not his so it could have been avoided

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  23:33:50  Show Profile
I would look at the pros n cons it may save you money though it could end up costing dearly. i ve read about captive snakes being badly injured and left with permament scars from live prey. Is it really worth it. Also is it not a kinda taboo grey side to the legality of breeding for live food unless necessary. theres a bit about it in RFUK

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  23:51:35  Show Profile
I just wanna try and, id like to see how he reacts to it

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  04:04:15  Show Profile
But again the question - are you doing it for your benefit or the snake's? Which is more important to you? Please dont think I am having a go, its just for me my snake's welfare will always come first. xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  13:50:19  Show Profile
I have to admit I find the prospect of live feeding a bit off putting. It is completely different if you HAVE to provide this kind of prey due to a snake not eating for prolonged periods of time. I recognise that desperate times call for desperate measures, but in Punks case, come on... I can not believe that you are seriously going to buy mice in order to breed, raise and then kill these animals to feed to your pets.

I know you are interested in saving money but honestly, you probably spend £25 quid a month feeding your snakes.

I know if I was trying to save money, raising and killing other animals would not be what came to mind.

As for Sparrowhawk, give your head a shake, sounds like you are interested in seeing a live kill for the entertainment it will provide you and you are not at all considering your snakes wellbeing.

1 Corn Snake (EDDIE)
2 Rats (PINK & STINK)
1 Cat (BINX)
1 Budgie (MOLLY)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  16:46:04  Show Profile
Look i dont want people moaning and whining at me, As Matty said a Snake is a Predator, it will know through instinct. Its not that i wanna see a Mouse die, i want to see with my Own eyes how a Snake goes through the Process of Killing a Rodent, im sure its a Fascinating experience. And id like to see how he behaves and reacts to it

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  16:48:05  Show Profile
As probably will never see this Process happening ever, its not a Permanent basis, i want to see for a 1 time off how it goes. No harm in that

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  17:05:36  Show Profile
the only problem with feeding live is if your snake decides its likes it food live then goes of dead/frozen food etc which can happen then your stuck with a snake thats now a live feeder all for the sake of one mouse , i must admit i know were your coming from i would like to watch one of my baby boa's or corns eat a live mouse but it isnt worth the risk of it becoming a live only feeder etc

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  18:20:49  Show Profile
I have live feed mine, a local cat caught the mouse and dropped it, it went under a cabInet.
When I tried to retrieve it it tried to bite me so I let the snake hunt it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  19:10:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy

I have live feed mine, a local cat caught the mouse and dropped it, it went under a cabInet.
When I tried to retrieve it it tried to bite me so I let the snake hunt it.

bet that was interesting to watch , and satisfying seing as it had just bit you !
is yours permanantly on live food now becuase of this ?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  19:14:30  Show Profile
But arent Wild Mice like riddled with Germs?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000