Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  11:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,
well i went into the garden today and got 2 peices of branches,
ive taken the bark of them and sanded them down, nd they are currently soaking in bleech as i type this,

after 12.33PM ill be puting them to soak in clean fresh water till 2.33PM or 3.33PM.

is that ok what i have done?

thanks

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  11:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally id leave it in the bleach for a lot longer just to make sure that everything has been killed off

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  11:39:39  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Or you can bake them in the ovan if they fit for a few hours!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  12:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how much longer, cos i was told to put it in 30% of bleech but its in 100%....

i will also be puting in in boiling hot water....

thanks for the replys
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  12:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trapidz

how much longer, cos i was told to put it in 30% of bleech but its in 100%....

i will also be puting in in boiling hot water....

thanks for the replys

You will have been told 30% because 100% could potentially be very very dangerous for your reps.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  12:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't be too impatient, if you do it wrong and don't get the bleach out properly then you risk causing chemical burns to the animals, also, it gives off caustic fumes, so will cause blisters and burns in the lungs too, but will prob choke to death first. Don't cut anymore corners, would be a shame to have a stunning viv, with no snake in it.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  13:48:29  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
100% would mean that you filled the bath up with bleach, i.e. no water. Did the bath contain any water at all when you first started soaking the branches?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  15:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there in boiling hot water, and i check them to see if i can smell the fumes, as the minute i dont, when i ment 100% i ment i put in on the top of the branches and a little bit on the bottom...
if the fumes still on the branches, what can i do to get rif of the fumes??

thanks alot guys
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  15:17:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only way really is to let the branches air, so as to let the fumes dissipate. Prolonged soaking in fresh water will help also as the bleach is water soluble.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  16:24:09  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As Mike said, a nice long soak in just water. Is it going to be practical for you to leave them in the bath overnight? That would help to clear the bleach.

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  16:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, just wondering - are you talking about reptile-safe bleach here? When I did a search on the Internet it keeps mentioning bleach but without qualifying it - does it mean you can use normal household bleach? If so, I think I'd be too worried that there would be some residue left, especially if it then got wee on it which I think creates a reaction which can release toxic fumes.

I may very well be completely wrong (it often happens) but I thought it was worth asking. I use a Beaphar BeaClean reptile dininfectant spray in the viv but used a solution of baby sterilising fluid to soak my branches in followed by a soak in clean water. Hopefully that was OK.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  17:17:14  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Urine mixed with bleach can release chloromines which can be harmful but it very much depends on the concentration of both of the ingredients. Whether or not urate would react in the same way I don't know but I would have thought that if it did then it would be common knowledge amongst the herper community by now. As long as you soak the wood in clean water after treating with bleach and check regularly with the good old mark 1 nose then you should be safe. Milton fluid is also safe but again I would ensure that you thoroughly rinse the wood after treatment.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  21:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok there in hot water, and will be over night, i will get them out in the morning, and wait for them to dry out.. and hen i will put a litle bit f he retile cleaning disinfectant, doe that sound ok?

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  12:59:28  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Give it a sniff once it has dried. If you can still smell bleach then put it back in another fresh bath.

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  16:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paulus.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  16:55:45  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sammysnake

Thanks Paulus.

No probs mate .

Go to Top of Page

morph2010
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  18:15:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live by the sea and was going to collect some nice pieces of drift wood and take them to work and sandblast them

would i still need to bleach them if i'm going to sandblast them?

1 Harley, Anery corn (not sure on age!)
1 Amber, Mad as a hatter springer 7yrs
8 ft fish tanks loads of fishys
1 Bobby, Cat 2yrs

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  19:05:32  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You would still need to do something with them. Drift wood contains alot of salt and i don't know what affect this would have. You would also have to make sure they were smooth and certainly treat them with something.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  19:40:26  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morph2010

I live by the sea and was going to collect some nice pieces of drift wood and take them to work and sandblast them

Another thing to consider is the pollutants that are in the sea water. I've seen some seriously weathered branches/trunks bobbing around in the waves down at Southsea beach but just wouldn't risk it. Some of them would've looked soooo cool in Godzilla's viv .

Go to Top of Page

morph2010
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  22:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

quote:

Another thing to consider is the pollutants that are in the sea water. I've seen some seriously weathered branches/trunks bobbing around in the waves down at Southsea beach but just wouldn't risk it. Some of them would've looked soooo cool in Godzilla's viv .

if i bleached the drift wood would it be ok to use?

1 Harley, Anery corn (not sure on age!)
1 Amber, Mad as a hatter springer 7yrs
8 ft fish tanks loads of fishys
1 Bobby, Cat 2yrs

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 :  07:53:41  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

quote:

if i bleached the drift wood would it be ok to use?

You'd need to get the wood tested first to identify what chemicals were present in order to know what solutions to apply in to make it safe. There's no guarantee that bleach would do the job. With the amount of different pollutants in the water it would be a nightmare. IMO not worth the risk let alone the cost of getting a full spectrum analysis done. I think that it would be safe to say that it would work out more expensive than buying already prepared wood from a rep store.

B.E. could probably elaborate a bit more on the testing side of things if you really wanted to do it .

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000