One for all the DIY viv enthusiasts...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  01:07:36  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've noticed there's a fair few of you making your own atm, so I thought I'd show off a few piccys of my custom built four stack. My ex hubby made it for me, so I can't take the credit myself , but I have to say I reckon he did a pretty fair job! He is a builder by trade though so I'd be pretty worried if not, lol. The cupboard at the bottom has a support and shelves built in so it's great for housing all my snake related stuff i.e. substrate and RUBs etc, and it also houses the socket board thing for all the lights/stats, then all the stats are attached to the back so all the wiring is kept out of the way. Just thought it would give all you budding Viv builders some inspiration , you can do it when you B&Q it!!!

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  01:15:50  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, and it's pretty obvious but I have my beardie in the bottom tank and my corns in the top three

And yes, I know I have no bulb guards but my HB and I split before he'd actually finished the thing (hence the screws showing as well, originally they were supposed to be covered with those lil cap thingies?), so I have them but need to get them fitted - that said the snakes have been in there a while now with no problems

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  01:31:24  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
gotto be pretty tall for the top viv.

yes defo need some gaurds. have you got digi thermometers in them because i have heard alot of problems with the lights heating the floor of the viv above to much

Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  01:39:25  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nah, what I tend to find is that coz all the lighting is on stat, they dim according to the temp of the one below, the beardie's is on pretty high during the day so the tank above tends to go right down. But they've all been in there about a year now and I've never had any probs - I think sometimes people can over-worry about little things like that, but like I say, all mine are doing great in there. I think the top one is about eight or nine foot up, lol, and I'm only bloody 5ft3 - I have to use steps to get up there!

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  01:43:03  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as long as there all fine.
i was surprised how much my stack transfered heat and i am only using mats

Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  01:50:11  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah I turned the light up for the pix for a few seconds to show the full effect, but tbh when the beardie is on usually that light is usually pretty dim so I know the temps are being regulated. Wonder if there's any way you can limit the amount of heat transferal in stacks though? Perhaps a thin sheet of polysyrene under the substrate or something??

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  01:57:56  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
maybe double thickness shelves... mmm

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  10:02:18  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that looks bloody sweet cherry exactly the sort of thing i need to build for my 3 going on 4.. how big is each viv?

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  10:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very cool!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  10:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who's going to build me one?

Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  12:01:45  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

that looks bloody sweet cherry exactly the sort of thing i need to build for my 3 going on 4.. how big is each viv?

L 3ft H 1ft4" D 1ft6"

I think the measurements were governed slightly by the sizes/lengths we could get the conti board in, and the back is one huge piece instead of four separate pieces, I think my ex wanted as few cuts as poss to keep it neat. Plenty of space in each viv though, bearing in mind corns don't need much height. There was also another practical reason for having such large cupboard space at the bottom - small children - we didn't want the kids being able to fall against the glass etc. He used one of those round drill big thingies (as you can see my DIY knowledge is extensive! lol) for the air vents - hidden by the plants in the pix, and we got the covers from eBay - you can get them in different sizes and colours and they're only usually a few quid for a pack of two. Think the glass was the most expensive - we had that cut for us at a local glazing shop - if I remember right it was about sixty quid for that in all

HTH

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  17:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice looking! But I would deffinatly put guards on the bulbs.

Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:31:02  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Very nice looking! But I would deffinatly put guards on the bulbs.

I would if I knew how

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They just go over the bulb and screw into the viv top.

Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  23:34:04  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think I'd need to drill into it first though wouldn't I? And believe me, put me anywhere near a power tool and there's bound to be some kind of disaster - I'm a girl you know! lol

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  00:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow that looks well cool Hannah!
something like that would look great in my computer room..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  07:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cherry-milkshake

I think I'd need to drill into it first though wouldn't I? And believe me, put me anywhere near a power tool and there's bound to be some kind of disaster - I'm a girl you know! lol

Depends what the meterial is.

Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  02:18:52  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

wow that looks well cool Hannah!
something like that would look great in my computer room..

Hehe, you need to marry yourself a builder, but just make sure he finishes it for you before you decide to divorce him!

Either that or send Luke on a training course

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000