Dwarf Corns?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  11:26:59  Show Profile
Is this a wind up http://www.dksnakes.co.uk/dwarf_corn_snake1.htm , I was googling them up to try and prove to the OH that we hadn't purchased a dwarf snake as they didn't exist.... I have no doubt that Peanuts is just a slow developer but found this really odd. :S

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  11:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I've never heard of them before, but who knows?

I don't know why anyone would bother breeding a dwarf corn though, they are hardly large snakes in comparison to boas and pythons are they?

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  11:54:57  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Daww it would be cute and wouldn't really suprise me, captive breeding can go to extremes now, maybe they will start breeding extra-large corns to? Lmao

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  12:11:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Never heard of them.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  12:52:22  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I've not heard of them either, but if they've only been cative for 3 generations that's potentially just 6 years. I think their appeal would be limited cos their colouring looks quite bland, especially when compared with the 100+ brightly coloured corn morphs around, and like Kaz says, corns aren't exactly big anyway.
the taxonomy keeps changing and sub-species are classified, re-classified and de-classifed as the bods in charge see fit. Corns used to be Elaphe guttata now they're classified as Pantherophis guttata, why???

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  13:05:31  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Strange, ive never heard of them either! I agree with GP the colours are abit bland, they dont appeal to me

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  13:13:25  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
TBH i do quite like the look of them but I can fully understand why they won't appeal to many though

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  15:43:02  Show Profile
There was someone on here a little while ago that wanted a smaller corn as they were scared of the big ones, maybe it would appeal to them, or people with really small houses? Must say they don't really float my boat though.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  18:22:14  Show Profile
Could it just be a result of food being harder to find - over the years they have got smaller?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  19:15:57  Show Profile
Can they really be commonly called corn snakes though.
The common name is thought to be from where corn snakes were found in corn fields. Are there corn fields in the mountains ? If they're isolated then surely they're a sub species being dwarf too.
I wonder if the dwarfism is dominant or not ? The pic is not of the normal colouration for a wild type corn snake either so again would they be a sub species instead ?
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2008 :  11:12:38  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
As for the names its because zoology is going through the stage as classifying animals as new or old world species. Elaphe guttata was used as it is the classification for old world ratsnakes, however corn snakes are in america which is the new world so to keep things separate they were re-classified to Pantherophis guttata. Its quite handy for a zoologists point of view as it separates the species nicely ^^

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000