New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

littlelisa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  06:49:11  Show Profile
how do i tell if my new baby i boy or girl?
lisa

lisa

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  08:14:50  Show Profile
there is a procedure called popping, which I don't recommend, unless you know what you are doing, most people I think go with probing again you need to know what you are doing so the snake doesn't get harmed, you should be able to take her somewhere, possibly where you purchased her and they should be able to do this for you, but don't forget just because shops can sell you reptiles doesn't mean they know everything about them and how to sex a snake, might be worth looking into a few different reptile places get a reputable one.
failing those the other less definate way to find out is wait til they are older(adult I think) and you are suppose to be able to tell by the size of the tail end, like I said not a definate way to sex them.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  08:19:57  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
There are a couple of techniques (popping and probing), but they really ought to be carried out by an experienced herpetologist as they can harm your snake. You could ask the place where you got it from or some vets are capable.

There is a third way based on tail shape, but it is not definitive:

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  08:21:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Sorry PF, didn't see your post before mine, I must have been typing as you posted.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  08:27:52  Show Profile
no probs, BE, I recognise that picture its in the book I got, I always try and avoid that page I hate that popping procedure!! It looks awful.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  11:06:47  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Especially when the popper looks like he's got a fungal nail infection

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  11:10:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Damn, decided to get Wiggle probed today to be on the safe side before I started thinking about getting her a mate. It was ok though because I 'knew' she was a girl....at least until the probe slid in a couple of inches and Mr Herpetologist said, yes, he's definitely a boy!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  11:11:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
So no, tail shape does not work!

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  11:26:43  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I sexed Cyd by tail once, and I was right too.

Got to admit it was a guess though and only because I could compare to another snake (Casper) that I knew already was definitely a male.

Lewy was miffed though when we went to have her probed to confirm it. He lost a 50p bet
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  11:30:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I was growing 'her' first so that I could get a male now that she's a year old, so that in 2 years they should both be ready for mating. Now going to have to look for a female at least a year old, or wait an extra year.

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  13:04:40  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
I wonder what would be the best length to have a corn probed? I've heard theres more likely to be complications when they are small. Mines about a foot and a half long now and wriggly so I'm guessing it will be better to wait until he's bigger.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  13:12:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If its young then 'popping' should be fine,obviously by someone who knows what they are doing.

Go to Top of Page

littlelisa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  13:45:01  Show Profile
well i think ill just carry on calling her a girl, cos i dont fancy the popping or the probing thing, and im not gonna mate "her" anyway, would just of been nice to know.

lisa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000