This is my new TUG SNOW unsexed

I can't wait to start breeding my Leopard Geckos

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  17:57:04  Show Profile
you got some good ones there dude.

wots in your dish in the 4th pic. (the powder)

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  17:57:04  Show Profile
you got some good ones there dude.

wots in your dish in the 4th pic. (the powder)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  17:59:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Very different patterns, like the last one best.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  17:59:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Very different patterns, like the last one best.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  18:07:08  Show Profile
dazb; Calypso calcium powder.

Thanks BE
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  18:07:08  Show Profile
dazb; Calypso calcium powder.

Thanks BE
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  18:10:14  Show Profile
do you leave that in all the time and dust your food aswell???

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  18:10:14  Show Profile
do you leave that in all the time and dust your food aswell???

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  18:40:09  Show Profile
Yeah the calypso calcium powder is in all the vivs for each gecko all the time. They can eat it when they want if they need to.

I dust my food with nutrobal or this other vitamin/mineral powder I can't remember the name of lol. I do this every other feed.

My crickets are fed calcium in their 'gut loading' diet I provide for them.

This is the routine I now use which works well.
calcium powder available 24/7
calcium fed to live food (not roaches)
nutrobal used every other day to dust live food

The other vit/min powder I would use on alternate days to using pure calcium powder rather than mixing the two, if not using nutrobal.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  18:40:09  Show Profile
Yeah the calypso calcium powder is in all the vivs for each gecko all the time. They can eat it when they want if they need to.

I dust my food with nutrobal or this other vitamin/mineral powder I can't remember the name of lol. I do this every other feed.

My crickets are fed calcium in their 'gut loading' diet I provide for them.

This is the routine I now use which works well.
calcium powder available 24/7
calcium fed to live food (not roaches)
nutrobal used every other day to dust live food

The other vit/min powder I would use on alternate days to using pure calcium powder rather than mixing the two, if not using nutrobal.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  19:23:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Yeah I like the tug snow best too, he's a sweetie!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  19:23:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Yeah I like the tug snow best too, he's a sweetie!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  19:41:26  Show Profile
I'm hoping it will turn out to be female. Apparently it was incubated for female, but you never know
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  19:41:26  Show Profile
I'm hoping it will turn out to be female. Apparently it was incubated for female, but you never know
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  19:46:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Fingers crossed for you then.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  19:46:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Fingers crossed for you then.

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  20:19:37  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
help! how/what do you use to gutload? getting my beardie tomorrow and not sure what to feed mealworms and crickets to gutload them! oh yeh, do mealworms... develop into anything? like flies or summat? and how long do they live etc? xx

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Edited by - PunkAsF82 on 01/08/2008 20:20:06
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  20:19:37  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
help! how/what do you use to gutload? getting my beardie tomorrow and not sure what to feed mealworms and crickets to gutload them! oh yeh, do mealworms... develop into anything? like flies or summat? and how long do they live etc? xx

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Edited by - PunkAsF82 on 01/08/2008 20:20:06
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  22:19:52  Show Profile
gut loading your live food is where you feed things like porridge oats, calcium powder & cat/dog biscuits as a dry food. Then carrot & apple for moisture & additional nutrition. This makes your live food taste less like cardboard & actually contain something that will be beneficial to your leopard gecko, beardie, water dragon, etc.

Feed the live food up at least 24 to 48 hours before feeding them to your lizard.

if you want to keep/breed mealworms then use a substrate of porridge oats about 1 to 2 inches deep & provide a piece of apple or carrot removing & replacing every few days. Keep moisture down to a minimum & temp around 90*F. They will grow then turn into 'aliens' then beetles. The 'aliens' do nothing just wiggle & the beetles breed & lay eggs. The beetles can fly but not very well & mostly just walk about. They will live, breed & die in the substrate. you can seperate the beetles into a seperate container with a similar set up if you like or you can just leave them to get on with it. The mealworms take forever to grow to 'feedable' size.

Crickets can have a porridge oat substarte or none at all. same dry food as the mealies & the carrot & apple for moisture. Again keep the moisture levels low. provide a container/jar a few inches deep of sand for the females to lay eggs in. The crickets tend to smell a bit but I dont really notice it much, plus they cherp at night alot.

Plastic boxes with small ventilation holes drilled/burnt into the sides work well. If drilling keep the drill on a low/slow setting to avoid splitting the plastic or use a soldering iron to burn holes. This is easier, but smels of the the burning plastic so better to do outside. Be very careful with the soldering iron as it will melt through your flesh. These are pretty cheap from markets, cheap shops for about £3 & quicker than drilling. It's up to you though.
Make sure there are plenty of holes some in the sides at the top & in the lid. The mealies cannot climb & I haven't had a cricket escape either but maybe keep the holes smaller than the width of the mealies or small crickets.

Egg cartons are best for allowing the live food to hide/live in too & they will most likey breed amongst it too. Just have some horizontal & some vertical. Replace these every month or so.

You can either use a heatmat, lamp or keep the live food in a warm room up high on a shelf or something.

With the crickets you can provide a small dish with a little water & screwed up kitchen roll to stop the crickets drowning. They will be able to drink if the want to.

If you just wantot keep them alive then store the crickets/mealies in the fridge door as it's usually slight less cool than the shelves. just let the live food wake up a bit & add supplements like nutrobal before feeding. The only thing with cooling them is they last longer but cannot eat like they would if warm so would they be less gut loaded ?

Edited by - n/a on 01/08/2008 22:20:11
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  22:19:52  Show Profile
gut loading your live food is where you feed things like porridge oats, calcium powder & cat/dog biscuits as a dry food. Then carrot & apple for moisture & additional nutrition. This makes your live food taste less like cardboard & actually contain something that will be beneficial to your leopard gecko, beardie, water dragon, etc.

Feed the live food up at least 24 to 48 hours before feeding them to your lizard.

if you want to keep/breed mealworms then use a substrate of porridge oats about 1 to 2 inches deep & provide a piece of apple or carrot removing & replacing every few days. Keep moisture down to a minimum & temp around 90*F. They will grow then turn into 'aliens' then beetles. The 'aliens' do nothing just wiggle & the beetles breed & lay eggs. The beetles can fly but not very well & mostly just walk about. They will live, breed & die in the substrate. you can seperate the beetles into a seperate container with a similar set up if you like or you can just leave them to get on with it. The mealworms take forever to grow to 'feedable' size.

Crickets can have a porridge oat substarte or none at all. same dry food as the mealies & the carrot & apple for moisture. Again keep the moisture levels low. provide a container/jar a few inches deep of sand for the females to lay eggs in. The crickets tend to smell a bit but I dont really notice it much, plus they cherp at night alot.

Plastic boxes with small ventilation holes drilled/burnt into the sides work well. If drilling keep the drill on a low/slow setting to avoid splitting the plastic or use a soldering iron to burn holes. This is easier, but smels of the the burning plastic so better to do outside. Be very careful with the soldering iron as it will melt through your flesh. These are pretty cheap from markets, cheap shops for about £3 & quicker than drilling. It's up to you though.
Make sure there are plenty of holes some in the sides at the top & in the lid. The mealies cannot climb & I haven't had a cricket escape either but maybe keep the holes smaller than the width of the mealies or small crickets.

Egg cartons are best for allowing the live food to hide/live in too & they will most likey breed amongst it too. Just have some horizontal & some vertical. Replace these every month or so.

You can either use a heatmat, lamp or keep the live food in a warm room up high on a shelf or something.

With the crickets you can provide a small dish with a little water & screwed up kitchen roll to stop the crickets drowning. They will be able to drink if the want to.

If you just wantot keep them alive then store the crickets/mealies in the fridge door as it's usually slight less cool than the shelves. just let the live food wake up a bit & add supplements like nutrobal before feeding. The only thing with cooling them is they last longer but cannot eat like they would if warm so would they be less gut loaded ?

Edited by - n/a on 01/08/2008 22:20:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000