swallowed substrate
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  22:33:08  Show Profile
When I fed George on monday he ended up getting some substrate stuck to his pinky (aspen I think) and swallowed some of it. I've been advised to take him out of the viv into his 'mini viv' to feed him from now on, but obviously I'm concerned about the substrate. He seems fine though, and he pooped (on me actually) although it was runny and a sort of yellow colour (that was probably the substrate on it's way out!). I've also noticed him bathing, even though he's not due a shed (as he shed last monday).

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  22:40:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
mine have ingested beech chippings substrate before on the rare occasions they've been fed in their viv. I've not had any problems before but it's worth keeping an eye on him.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  22:44:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Aspen is pretty small, remember, they can digest whole mice, so you'll probably be fine.

As you say though, this is why a lot of people recommend feeding out of their viv.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  16:15:05  Show Profile
cheers - he seems perfectly ok though! the only thing I'm a bit miffed about now is that I took him out again today and - yet again - he pooped on me!!! another pair of jeans in the wash! has anyone else had this problem, or do I literally have a bit of a problem on my hands?!?! is there a way of discouraging him from doing this, or is it just something I have to get used to??
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  17:56:38  Show Profile
I have asked that too! It seems its just a habit. I think it was Kaz who suggested to me that my snake was nervous when handled (she wasnt handled much with previous owner) so pooped on me to make me smell like her. Also snakes only seem to poo on a flat surface which means if shes coiled around your arm she probs wont poo!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  17:57:50  Show Profile
put an old towel on your lap then once the snake has pooed, that should be it & wash the old towel instead.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  18:31:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You can tell when Wiggle is about to go, she goes still and sort of lifts her tail to one side slightly.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

193 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  18:47:32  Show Profile
jake go's on anyone but me lol

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  19:13:03  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
The same happened to Angelina during one of her first feeds with me. I just kept an on her and it passed through no problem. Ib recommend getting a plastic tub to feed in though

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2008 :  15:22:58  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
my molly loves crapping on people, but never me

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2008 :  15:45:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Well trained ;)

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2008 :  15:49:51  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
maybe i feel left out

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2008 :  13:05:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I was feeling left out till this fatty amel pooed all over me on friday night! my others wouldn't dream of doing such a thing in public!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2008 :  13:17:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Sure you deserved it :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000