Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  10:25:53  Show Profile
Hi, just for my 1st cornsnake her name is Lucy! used to have garter snakes when i was younger but this is my 1st corn got her on monday so shes still shy and in hiding! should be able to get her out on sunday after her feed on friday! will post some pics wen i get them!

was wondering as well should i put her food in her tank of should i take her out somewere seperate to feed her ive seen it done both ways in pics n sites ive been looking at?

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  10:41:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
There are 2 thoughts on moving the snake into a feeding container, firstly some believe that this will stop her associating your hands with food entering her viv and hence won't strike at you and secondly if you have a substrate that may attach to the mouse in her viv she may swallow some of it.

However, some snakes will prefer to eat somewhere where they feel safe - i.e. their own viv.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  10:43:26  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
PS. Hello and welcome to the forum.

:)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

193 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  12:01:29  Show Profile
hi and welcome to forum

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  14:24:01  Show Profile
im not sure i will maybe try her out see how she gets on, she is on newspaper so it wouldnt get stuck but not liking the idea of her associatin my hand with food lol
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  15:08:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I have always fed mine in their vivs and not had a problem, but most seem to do their feeding in a separate container.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  17:15:45  Show Profile
How old is your snake ?

It's much easier to feed out of the viv in a vented seperate container & it will make the snake feel more secure about eating if in a dark enclosed space. Not saying you will have problems feeding but it just reduces any stress, plus the snake won' associate you with food as soon as you put your hand in the viv. Saying that though all corn snakes are individuals & these are just guidelines to follow.

There's nothing 'wrong' with feeding in the viv on newspaper.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

193 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  18:04:23  Show Profile
speedy took 2 mice today hope she keeps them in only got her yesterday but she was looking for food i think

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  18:13:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Were you advised to feed her today, the day after you got her?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

193 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  18:18:00  Show Profile
no don't get no advice from the pet shop just sed not been fed this week did same with jake and he was ok

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

193 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  18:19:06  Show Profile
have i done a bad thing

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  19:04:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Well if she's taken it ok then it would seem fine, I would have allowed her some settling in time personally, but every snake is different.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

193 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  19:25:12  Show Profile
oops will let you know

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  22:09:28  Show Profile
i got her on monday been told to feed her on friday thats wen shes due a feed 2 fuzzies shes on shes about a year old she was out from hidin wen i came in my room but scooted away wen she heard me!! i dunno if it would be to stressful the now takin her out to feed her been told to leave her til after her 1st feed to hold her
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  22:10:32  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I would agree with that.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  22:22:13  Show Profile
agree that i should feed her in the viv for her 1st feed? wot size should she be for a yr old i think shes quite small only 1.5ft but quite skinny
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  22:30:58  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Are you sure she's a year old, that does seem quite small, although they are all different.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  22:39:50  Show Profile
chester is sep 07 and is nearly 3 foot. and i think he is small for his age.
1.5 foot is very small for a yearling.
either measurement is out or age is.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  22:43:37  Show Profile
hmm well they said he was about a year i said she seemed a bit small and he said somethin about being 1 of the smaller ones ive not had her out yet so not sure exactly how big she is she is bein fed on 2 fuzzies a week, does it hurt wen a cornsnakes bites lol and does it bite and let go or how do u prise it off just incase.......
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  22:54:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
It will be more shock than pain. Its very unlikely you will get bitten, but if it does happen, try not to pull away as it will hurt more and may harm your snake.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  10:09:22  Show Profile
If it knows your not food it should just let go. If not, (taken this from another thread) stick your hand in water and the snake will have to let go for air. Its faster to dab alcohol on the snakes nose and it will let go.

Edit = and yeah, theres not much chance of a corn biting.

Edited by - matty18714 on 17/07/2008 10:10:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000