Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  13:33:35  Show Profile
Just went to get cecils waterbowl out to clean it and I could see him just under his hide, Just as I started to lift the bowl I could see him start puffing his body up and down, then he went to strike, lukily he missed or it could of been water and other stuff all over the place. Is this just because he's nervous as I'm gonna start to handling him nearer the weekend

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  14:38:54  Show Profile
Remember it's only fear & defense rather than agression. They can stand up for themselves when they want to lol.

It's all part of you both becoming familiar with each other & realizing you're not a threat to each other.

Good luck at the weekend - if it DOES bite don't pull away I know it's instinct but it could damage the snake & make the bite wound worse - well maybe if it was an adult lol. You will barely feel anything anyway but it can shock you for the first time.

Edited by - n/a on 08/07/2008 14:39:37
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  14:46:02  Show Profile
Have read on the net that at this age they only have tiny teeth, only used to help pull the prey into their mouth, one guy even said that a corn under 1 years bite can sometimes tickle a bit coz its more mouth than bite.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  18:02:59  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
As MM says, if you pull away it will hurt more, otherwise you'll hardly notice it apart from the shock.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  18:05:11  Show Profile
iv been bit by a 10 mnth old 1 and it didnt ticle but it never hurt iver but it did scare me

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
4 red bellied toads or a emperor scorpion cant decide :P
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  19:06:07  Show Profile
When it comes to me getting ready to handle him what would be the best way, 1. putting my hand nice and gently and letting him have a sniff and see if he comes on my hand of his own accord or, 2. putting my hand in and taking hold of him in his viv.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  19:17:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I always try to be firm and decisive, so that she doesn't have time to think about me being food!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  19:33:29  Show Profile
so just reach in and pick him up firmly but gently, I thought that would be they way to do it as thats the way they did it at the pet shop, just have to try and get him before he hides away when I open his viv.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  19:34:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
You could always just sit next to the open viv and wait for him to be nosey and come out himself, then firmly but gently get hold of him on his way out.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  20:03:51  Show Profile
Will maybe try that as mine is an top opening viv. and he comes up and has a nosey at the mesh quite often.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  20:10:28  Show Profile
how long have you had him

cb07 - male - corn snake
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  20:30:05  Show Profile
Got him last friday.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  20:32:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Less than a week still, just settling in.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  20:56:31  Show Profile
yeh should settle in a couple af days then he'll be fine

cb07 - male - corn snake
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  21:08:28  Show Profile
Gonna wait till the weekend as he is due a feed on thursday and then I'll leave him friday and then start handling him on sat.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

538 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  22:07:09  Show Profile
Harry took about 2 weeks to settle in properly, he has bitten me once and i didnt feel a thing, my advice like everyone else is to not be hesitant be firm and confident so he know`s your not going to harm him etc, I read somewhere that if you keep putting your hands in hesitantly pulling back every time he puffs up and strikes he will learn to strike everytime just to not get picked up... and you dont want that.

good luck i`m sure your both be ok soon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  22:14:12  Show Profile
Thanks for all the help. Will post again after the weekend and let you all know how I got on.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  16:41:26  Show Profile
i got bit the other week and chester is about 10 months ish. it doesnt hurt at all. remember to be confident wen going for him him or he will sense it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  00:09:43  Show Profile
Well I tried to take hold of cecil this evening and as soon as I put my hand near he shot straight under his hide, what can I do, do I just lift his hide up and reach in for him or should I leave him a bit longer to settle in?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  08:19:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Get him out (this evening), the longer you leave it now the harder it'll be, just be confident.

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  13:44:03  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
I agree with Blackecho, you have to be confident. Just go straight in a get him, if needs be then id lift up the hide but dont do this everytime as he wont feel safe in his hide. Good luck with it

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000