just a newbie!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  21:57:18  Show Profile
hi, just got my first ever corn snake, anyone got any advice for a new beginner.

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  22:35:47  Show Profile
ask anyone here what you would like to know ?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  22:51:27  Show Profile
how long after I have placed him in his viv. should i start to handle him(he has been sexed by the pet shop)?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  23:40:54  Show Profile
try to leave him to settle in & get used to all the new smells & his new environment. Just check he's still in the viv, change the water. It's probably a good idea to leave him a week until you feed him also rather than trying to interact too much & stress him out. after you feed leave him for a couple of days before you handle hime or he may regurgetate his food. You basically want to allow the snake to feel like he is in his own territory & that you're not a threat to him so once he realizes that there's no predators, he should relate you to 'coming out of the viv' & 'food'. This can be a good routine to get him into which is to handle him out of the viv, then feed him in a seperate container, then gently put him back. This way he won't associate you with food as soon as you open the viv. You should be less likely to see an 'S' shaped snake rattling his tail & mock striking at you in fear. even some babies will stand their ground well. Generally though corn snakes are not aggressive (unless really provoked)& this behaviour is defensive & out of fear.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  23:43:23  Show Profile
thanks for that, so far this evening he has just been hiding under his hide and sticking his head out every so often, must be checking out his new surroundings from where he feels safe.

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  13:28:09  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Welcome to the site Scott! The first week or so after getting a corn is the longest period ever because all you want to do is hold your snake but id follow moneymakers advice (he's a genius when it comes to snakes)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  13:43:15  Show Profile
Fanks mate lol

i try to learn as much as I can, but practical is always better than reading a book although asking people with experience is a big help too

For anyone who doesn't already I would definately recommend subscribing to reptile mags. They have the latest info from the experts on a wide range of reptiles, I always prefer the American ones.

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/index.php?cPath=49
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  14:24:19  Show Profile
thanks for the help folks, is it normal for my corn to be hiding away and not movig for a few hours, checked the viv this morning at 9 and he aint moved since at 2:30, please help, starting to get a bit worried!!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

236 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  16:37:33  Show Profile
Hi and welcome to the forum. He probably has moved while you were asleep!!!! Mine sometimes don't look like they've moved for ages but thats quite normal when they are settling in.

4.2.0 dogs
1.1.0 cats
25.8.34 bettas
2.2.0 corn
1.1.0 brb
1.0.0 teenager
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page