Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  20:27:24  Show Profile
hey there,
A little help on feeding please,

I was told to dust my crickrts twice a week but since i got them all in one feeder unit thingy i have dusted them all. i feed my 1 leo 5-6 crickets a day is this ok. i dont want to over dose on calcium or under feed etc. I also give him 2 wax worms every few days as a treat.
had a look around for calcium powder to put in a dish but my local shop said he cant get any and hasnt had any for weeks.
All advice welcome
p.s he is about 8 weeks old

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  20:33:50  Show Profile
As a one off I wouldn't worry too much.

you can grate cutle fish bone but needs to be fine like powder.

Have you tried online for calci powder ?

http://shop.pollywog.co.uk/index.php?cPath=154&osCsid=a4c2f91fa49c646ab9b33de81381aeae
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  20:33:50  Show Profile
As a one off I wouldn't worry too much.

you can grate cutle fish bone but needs to be fine like powder.

Have you tried online for calci powder ?

http://shop.pollywog.co.uk/index.php?cPath=154&osCsid=a4c2f91fa49c646ab9b33de81381aeae
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  21:03:46  Show Profile
will try there cheers.
only put a small pinch in so think im ok.
does the amount of crickets and wax worms seem ok. read they can eat between 5-15 per feeding time. not really helpful.
can you over feed. lots of advice about but nothing specific. all very broad based.

knew u wouldnt let me down

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  21:03:46  Show Profile
will try there cheers.
only put a small pinch in so think im ok.
does the amount of crickets and wax worms seem ok. read they can eat between 5-15 per feeding time. not really helpful.
can you over feed. lots of advice about but nothing specific. all very broad based.

knew u wouldnt let me down

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  21:54:38  Show Profile
Generally babies & juveniles are fed every day & dusted every other feed. I think that the amount is just dependent on the individual gecko & is mainly a guideline to follow. Vitamin & mineral powders can be used within the same week on alternate feeds.

Adults can be fed every other day & food dusted weekly.
vitamin & mineral powders can also be used on an alternate day in the same week.

I provide my Leos with a small dish which contains calcium, vit & min powder. I also put mealworms, etc in that too so they can eat when they want rather than waiting for when I put the food in for them. I dont dust the live food as I also feed them the same powders in their gut loading food so there should be more than enough in the Leos' diet. If they're lacking anything they can munch on what is provided in the small dish in their viv.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  21:54:38  Show Profile
Generally babies & juveniles are fed every day & dusted every other feed. I think that the amount is just dependent on the individual gecko & is mainly a guideline to follow. Vitamin & mineral powders can be used within the same week on alternate feeds.

Adults can be fed every other day & food dusted weekly.
vitamin & mineral powders can also be used on an alternate day in the same week.

I provide my Leos with a small dish which contains calcium, vit & min powder. I also put mealworms, etc in that too so they can eat when they want rather than waiting for when I put the food in for them. I dont dust the live food as I also feed them the same powders in their gut loading food so there should be more than enough in the Leos' diet. If they're lacking anything they can munch on what is provided in the small dish in their viv.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  20:05:18  Show Profile
hey MM,

can i over feed and over dust my leos, i am feeding them near enough every day. about 7-9 crickets and dusting them most days. i am also gut loading my crickets with t-rex calcium plus food for crickets and putting sliced potato in for moisture/water.
they seem to be eating them all straight away.
read shouldnt feed more than 3-5 crickets in 15 mins and was told you can over dose them on "dust"

have also stopped feeding them waxys as i was told that cos of a growth hormone they are given that they can harm your chances of successful breeding.

just wanted your opinion please

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  20:05:18  Show Profile
hey MM,

can i over feed and over dust my leos, i am feeding them near enough every day. about 7-9 crickets and dusting them most days. i am also gut loading my crickets with t-rex calcium plus food for crickets and putting sliced potato in for moisture/water.
they seem to be eating them all straight away.
read shouldnt feed more than 3-5 crickets in 15 mins and was told you can over dose them on "dust"

have also stopped feeding them waxys as i was told that cos of a growth hormone they are given that they can harm your chances of successful breeding.

just wanted your opinion please

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  18:39:44  Show Profile
sorry and anyone elses as well.

p.s is the calci powder the same as wot you dust crickets with.
ie can i use neutrobal??

sorry should have cleared this up weeks ago

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  18:39:44  Show Profile
sorry and anyone elses as well.

p.s is the calci powder the same as wot you dust crickets with.
ie can i use neutrobal??

sorry should have cleared this up weeks ago

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000