New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2009 :  19:26:22  Show Profile
Hi All,

I am a newbie to this forum although not completely new to snake keeping. Had a couple of corns a few years ago on long term hols from a friend. At that time the heat mats we used where places under neath the Viv' and that was that. I have just been and purchased a new baby corn for keeps and it was a deal with Viv' etc all included. The heat mat that comes with kit says to stick the heat mat on either the side or back of Viv', I cant put it on underside as i would have in past as there is some sort of 'layer' under the tank. So do I stick it on the back side (outside the tank) Or on the back side (inside the tank)
Thanks Guys, Looking forward to getting to know you and your snakes
x
Gemma

n/a
deleted

219 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2009 :  19:32:11  Show Profile
Hiya what kind of viv have you got wooden,glass etc? =0)
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2009 :  19:44:39  Show Profile
Plastic Faunarium/RUB or All glass viv = Heatmat Under
Wooden viv with sliding doors = heatmat Inside (some people like to put a vinyl tile over the mat to stop direct contact)

Hope this helps.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2009 :  19:55:30  Show Profile
As Tizzy says, plastic faun/rub or glass-uth underneath
wooden viv- uth inside on the bottom. Heatmat is no good on the side.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2009 :  20:19:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i've no idea why people are told to place heatmats on the side or back of vivs/fauns, as they work by contact (heating what's in contact with them). for a viv the mat is fine inside, for a faun/RUB/tub you place it ontop of the heatmat. check what sort of heatmat you're using though.......... some are meant for glass vivs only, and some require airflow underneath the mat

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2009 :  20:37:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

i've no idea why people are told to place heatmats on the side or back of vivs/fauns, as they work by contact (heating what's in contact with them). for a viv the mat is fine inside, for a faun/RUB/tub you place it ontop of the heatmat. check what sort of heatmat you're using though.......... some are meant for glass vivs only, and some require airflow underneath the mat

It's the way you set up for crested geckos, as it's the only time people generally see the heatmat in shop set-ups i think people just assume.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2009 :  21:15:17  Show Profile
H, The Viv' is glass. As i said in 1st post though there is a layer (not sure what) underneath the Viv' attached to the glass. Kinda hard to explain but basically if i put mat underneath then the heat would have to pass through the 1st layer before reaching the glass.

I didnt assume the mat went on the side or back from the shop set up but just from what it said in instructions for the mat that came. The do outline there reasons as being to do with if the snake burrows it will be moving nearer the heat source and that given they heat from the sun that wouldn't be right. (not exact words but I'm sure you get the meaning)

I have in the past always put heat mats underneath hence my question as to where it should go as it did seem odd to me that it was to be stuck to side / back.

Shall have a bit of a look at bottom of Viv' and see if i can find away to stick it underneath.

Thanks for responses
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2009 :  21:20:39  Show Profile
Can you put a pic on here so we can see what it is that is underneath the tank?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2009 :  21:30:14  Show Profile
I reckon, Ill also check the make. Just gotta find the camera and lead
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2009 :  09:22:54  Show Profile
I cant find the camera lead but the tank is an Atasuki if thats any help. It has almost a foam feeling underside. so you have the glass base then stuck underneath is this black foamy type stuff.

Ill get a picture on my mobile and see if i can upload that
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2009 :  13:02:00  Show Profile
Had a trip up to shop and had a word with the Owner, He says its fine to put underneath even with the foamy stuff underside. Just wanted to thank you all for your help x
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2009 :  17:34:06  Show Profile
Ourhouse, I have never heard of a Atasuki tank before. Would like to see it if you can get any pics, Thanks
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2009 :  18:01:08  Show Profile
ive got a few on my laptop now, Ill go figure if i can add them to a post
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2009 :  18:13:07  Show Profile
hope this works

front veiw

Side veiw
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2009 :  18:15:39  Show Profile
I really like that tank, very nice.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2009 :  18:25:35  Show Profile
It was a real bargain as well. Well vented and has the choice to open the doors at front or clip of top. Came with all the kit you need as well (well except a digital thermometer and a stat' but they are on the way lol)
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2009 :  22:29:46  Show Profile
best have mat outside then if no stat (correct me if i am wrong?) good thing theyre on order then! Shouldnt take too long, what company you order it from?

the snake will be fine heat wise - the summers here now anyway

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2009 :  22:37:34  Show Profile
picked up a thermometer up from EBay and the stat is on its way from a friend who no longer needs it, Should be here monday.
Mat is stuck on underside at the moment, And the funny little thermometers it came with are show good temps at the moment (although i know they can be misleading.
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2009 :  22:43:38  Show Profile
Nice tank, never seen them before.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2009 :  00:05:16  Show Profile
can i ask where you got your viv from? it looks really good

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2009 :  09:13:46  Show Profile
A little shop just outside colchester. We have few other shops near by that sell vivs etc but none did a tank like this one. My only concern with it was that both sides are vented as well as the top being mesh so i did worry that the temps may be a bit hard to keep right. But my Digi thermometer came this morning and that says otherwise. The temp is pretty much spot on even though i have no stat on there just now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000