New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  23:18:31  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
hey all, first post on the forum and first time snake owner of 3 weeks. His name is mystery. so i had a startle a days ago when my 9month old took a stroll around my room and decided to poop on my amp hehe. I looked at the viv completely seal, well i thought so! somehow he got out. anyway tried a few things with traps eventually i cleared out major pieces of furniture with airport style checks. eventually i closed the lights, left the room and returned half an hour later to find him near the door. Complete relief i can tell ya.

to be honest i was crapping it. thought i had lost him after three weeks and seriously i dont quite know how he got out. can only assume the glass fronts on the viv aren't very tight.

so after that long rant about my escaping snake, i wanted to find out whether anyone has found any security upgrades to fill the gaps between the glass. at the moment ive just cut some cardboard wedges and lodged them in. not very pretty though! Is it worth cutting new glass for a tighter fit or are there other things i could try?

anyway nice to finally be here!

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2008 :  05:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Card wedges seem to be the thing here.
There is another member on here who does the same thing, and they've also posted photos of the snake escaping through the gap.
Glass edge protectors will do it as well, I've bought a metre length from B&Q for 7 quid last week, it's chrome, and designed to go on 4-6mm glass.
We used it to edge a 5mm glass sheet and that's now 8.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2008 :  10:33:57  Show Profile
Welcome to the Forum Ari, so glad you found your corn so quickly. We too use card to seal the gap in the glass, So far so good no escaping.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2008 :  10:57:02  Show Profile
hi congrats on finding your snake

www.cornmorphs.webs.com www.southwestpythons.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2008 :  11:28:35  Show Profile
so do most shop bought vivs have a big gap between the glass pannels?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2008 :  13:52:21  Show Profile
i have just become owner of amel corn, approx 4 months old and in the 4 weeks of having him/her, not sure on sex as yet, he/she has managed to escape twice, the first time was from a petpal that max/houdini came home from shop in, had been in the kitchen having a bonding session but didnt secure lid properly, max got out but the break for freedom was shortlived, found behind washing machine wrapped round pipes, had got a bit dusty but otherwise ok. the second escape attempt was when rehousing in bigger viv, found a hole at top within seconds of being put in there, luckily i was watching so soon had max back secure.
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2008 :  17:37:30  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hi and welcome, have you got an exo terra viv, mine once escaped through the cable slots at the back

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  10:38:22  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Our escapee is now in a very high security viv. She's inside her faunarium, which is inside another viv. If she escapes from one, she's got another to get out of.

We have done a similar thing to Kehhlyr too. We have edged the glass with a piece of plastic. (we recycled it from edging from an old wardrobe we dismantled to make a viv stack). Here's a photo:

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  15:56:16  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by saddleninja

hi and welcome, have you got an exo terra viv, mine once escaped through the cable slots at the back

hi, yeah i have, it was originally bought for boyfriends spiders but ive nobbled it, lol, max found the cable slots at the back but have now rectified that so he/she cant escape that way again, lol, only way out now is when doors are open which is only when feeding, watering or having bonding session, lol, max had good swim other day when ran a warm bath, went totally crazy was like an eel swimming about. going to sort camera out to take some pics although i wonder how on earth im gonna keep max still long enough to take the pic, feisty little thing and moves like a rocket given chance.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

173 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  16:58:40  Show Profile
good ideer kazerella

corns de best

1 dog
1 rabbit
6 ginie pigs
lot of fish
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  17:55:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

[purple]
We have done a similar thing to Kehhlyr too. purple]

Could i have a key please? I think its my shift to sedate him...
Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  21:19:15  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
thanks for the walm welcomes. the wardrobe wedges look very proffessional. ive just jammed some card between the glass. doesnt look as nice but it gets the job done. I bought my viv from my local pet store its a aquatlantis (not sure if youve heard of them or not. Its a pretty big viv and well ventilated from the top and bottom)

This is mystery

And his viv

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000