depth of substrate
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  22:33:21  Show Profile
our grandson has a 7 year old corn who is on about 3-4" of substrate. our yearling is on about 1/2", is this enough?

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  22:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
What substrate is it?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  23:18:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
3-4" of nearly any substrate sounds excessive!
although it's nice to give them something to burrow and tunnel in, you'd need to thin it out significantly over a heatmat otherwise it would insulate the heat away from the snake.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  06:29:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Is it being heated from above(lamp) or below(heatmat)?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  12:21:06  Show Profile
Heat is from below, heat mat (UT), will advise grandson to thin out his substrate. the substrate is almost like fine chippings, bought from reptile shop where we got corn from.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  14:01:36  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
sounds like beech chipping, i use them for some of my corns. they're perfectly ok to use but with a heatmat a thick layer of substrate keeps the heat away from the snake so you'll struggle to get the tmps up to the required 28-30*C. as thin a layer as possible over the heatmat then a thicker layer throughout the rest of the viv is fine though

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  14:45:31  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
i dont have any subtrate over my mat where the hide is,just some lyno over the mat.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  15:02:54  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Nothing wrong with that Lee2308, so long as the temps are good.
One of my vivs has undertank heating, and the snake always shoves any substrate out of the way and lays practically on top of the heatmat. Mainly after eating though.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  16:05:11  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
thats what i mean,theres never any subrate in the hides because they push it all out to get as close to the mat as they can.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  19:08:57  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
The only substrate mine DON'T do that with, is grass and vermi.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000