New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

36 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  17:12:36  Show Profile
Well.......I dont know what happened??
Herbie was dead in his viv this morning! He was ok in the night, cus i saw him moving about in his viv. There are no visible signs of any problems. He had a warm end at 85 degrees and a cool end at 71 degrees. Hides at each end, fresh bottled water every day, and i cleaned up any mess every day.
I got him last Friday, and he had fed the Friday before. He hadn't taken any food whilst with me, but i put that down to him settling in. He was approx 1 year old.
I've spoken to the lady i got him from and she is shocked too. She has offered a refund or another corn. She has hatchlings at present, but i chose Herbie because he was older and really friendly. She has asked for him back so she can see if she can shed any light on it? I cant moan about the people i got him from as they have been really helpful and i'm sure they didn't know he was ill or anything.
Have to think what to do now??

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  18:16:54  Show Profile
Im so sorry, he was a great looking snake. If i was in your position i would deffinatly allow the woman to examine the snake to make sure that the problem was not your doing and so would not affect any snakes you may have in the future. Please dont let this put you off keeping snakes as they are amazing animals.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

36 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  20:21:37  Show Profile
Yes, i'm going to take him over to her. If possible, it would be nice to know what happened. Everything seemed so normal though, It literally felt like, one minute he was on a trip around his viv and the next minute he'd died. really odd?
We still have 2 corns, well Piskie (my wife) does anyway. I think i'll wait until another older one like him comes up. Piskie's are only young so an older one would be nice.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  20:39:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Unfortunately you're not the only one to go through this on this forum.
Jazzy lost hers after having it for a short while as well, regardless of how long you have them, it's still devastating.
Sorry mate.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  20:39:33  Show Profile
Really sorry to hear your news.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  20:50:04  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
sorry to hear of your loss

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

matt
Hatchling

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  20:56:55  Show Profile
Oh no! sorry dude

its like, its like Spanish for like a fighting chicken ...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  21:35:14  Show Profile
So sorry to hear your news about Herbie Andy. We did loose our first Corn, like you one minute she was fine next day dead. We took her back to the shop and it worked out to be a liver problem, but she was only a few months old. Jazzy was deverstated, but we have another now and she is great and we wouldnt be without her. Hope you get another one soon Andy xx

Edited by - n/a on 27/05/2008 21:37:04
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

538 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  22:47:03  Show Profile
thats sad news sorry to hear about your loss

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

113 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  23:14:22  Show Profile
Sorry about your loss.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

36 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  23:43:06  Show Profile
Thanks for your replies guys.

The people i got him from have said that it could have been; over heating, dehydration, choking, heart attack or seizure. Well i know it wasn't over heating or dehydration.
The guy did say that he didn't think it would be either of those because he knew i had planned well in advance and had everything ready. I had put off collecting him until the viv was ready.

When i called them with the sad news as a courtesy, i was offered (i didn't ask or expect) either a refund or replacement. Bearing in mind i only had him for under 4 days. I had been thinking about it and had virtually decided to have a refund. But then i had another message saying i could only have a replacement. I wouldn't have minded that but it winds me up when people back track.

I realise that as this was a private purchase they didn't have to offer me anything, although i'm sure there are lots of private breeders who would offer something.

The only thing that is going through my head is that, when we picked him up, they said that they had sick snake/s but didn't know what was wrong with him? Although mine wasn't housed with the sick one/s it was in close proximity and when we originally viewed him they were handling all of them. I'm not blaming them, but just feel that they are being a bit unprofessional

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  12:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Isn't there apparently some disease that's fairly rife at the moment, it causes liver failure, then the snake dies shortly afterwards.

I got told this by a breeder friend about 2 weeks ago, so he only handles certain snakes at the moment now, just in case.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

86 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  12:57:54  Show Profile
sorry for your loss. I know exactly what your going through it's so upsetting but it shouldn't stop you having an other corn as they are really awsome pet. the corn i lost had liver problem so I got a replacement and couldn't do without her ! you did the best thing which is going to this forum for support as you can tell, everybody is really nice an i no i felt much better doing so ! xx

Go to Top of Page

liverpoolmadman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
375 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  14:41:21  Show Profile  Visit liverpoolmadman's Homepage
SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS I LOST MY WESTERN HOG NOSE IN APRIL FINE AT NIGHT DEAD IN THE MORNING
MY PET SHOP TOLD ME TO TURN HER OVER AND SEE I THERE WAS A GREEN SPOT UNDER HER THIS WOULD SHOW THAT HER GAUL BLADDER HAD GONE
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR LOOKING FOR A NEW BABY

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  14:47:53  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Andy, sorry to hear about Herbie, like everyone else has said I hope it hasn't put you off keeping corns

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  16:39:56  Show Profile
Thats bad luck mate. Hope you can sort it out with the people you got him from!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

36 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  20:13:44  Show Profile
Hi guys
Thanks very much for all your replies, much appreciated
I took Herbie back to the people today. The guy had a look at him while i was there, and was equally as baffled. He looked like he died on the move? He was not curled up in the corner or anything. The guy said that looking at his weight, which was good, and knowing that my setup was good, there could only be a few reasons. Choking or blockage, or organ failure. He was going to check his wind pipe to check for blockages.
They have offered me a choice of - a 3/4 year old Okeetee male very docile little fellow, a candycane hatchling, a miami hatchling, or i can hang on for a sunglow hatchling.
Although the adult was a nice snake and was very friendly he didn't "do it" for me, if you know what i mean. I think i'm going to hang on for a sunglow as i do like those. They wont be ready for a while yet though.
Cheers guys
Andy

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  20:57:36  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Sorry to hear about your loss Andy! Sounds like you there wasnt anything you could of done about his death and it was a freak accident! Hope you get another corn just as nice as Herbie

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2008 :  14:54:48  Show Profile
really sorry to here about your loss. hope you get another. your doing the right thing by whaiting for the right one that "does it for you". no point in just rushing in to it .

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

36 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  01:34:03  Show Profile
Hi
Thanks for your replies.
I spoke to the breeder yesterday and he's going to let me know when his Sunglows are ready.
No news yet on the cause of Herbies death.
Cheers
Andy

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  11:25:46  Show Profile
Dude..condolances...(think i spelt that right)

Theres a weird fungal infection going around in wild rat snakes, is your snake defanatly captive bred?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000