New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  14:43:48  Show Profile
hi all.
thanks for all your replys to my "hibernating or died post" in the health forum.

it has left me confused and worried though lol. sids viv we got 2nd hand and it already had a uv light and heat bulb in it. its the sort of tank thats wooden with a sliding glass door front. when the light went, it was much too dark without it, so we replaced it. i also thought that snakes needed the uv for vitamins. ? now i read that they dont need artificial light at all ? i can understand it if it was an all glass viv....

am worried now as my snake died and im wondering if the light had anything to do with it...like perhaps when we got the tank the light worked but the uv in it had gone, therefore sid was fine. once we replaced it, was too much for him ?

xxx hannah xxx

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  15:42:58  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Yeah - Snakes don't need any UV light for any vitamins, as they get enough from their food.
I highly doubt it would have killed him, there would most likely be another reason.
Have you taken him to the vet? It may have have been internal parasites, brain damage.. Or any number of reasons.

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  15:54:02  Show Profile
As above, snakes dont need uv. Was the light the heat source? If so was it guarded?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  20:58:49  Show Profile
thanks for replys...

no we didnt take him to the vet. he often didnt move for ages and by the time i thought something was wrong, it was too late

no he had a heat bulb, and yes it was covered with a mesh cage type thing...cold to touch. he had seperate light and bulb.

so if i was to put another adult in there ( have properly disinfected it already ) , should i take the uv light out ? it seems too dark without anything. even though it was right by our front room window which got plenty of sunshine. what would you suggest ?

xx hannah xx
Go to Top of Page

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  21:57:55  Show Profile
LEDs or a low wattage energy saver. i have both - blue LED for evening and ES when cleaning/fotos

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  23:24:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
No they don't need UV, but no it wouldn't have killed it either.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2009 :  02:08:59  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
If it was second hand, it sounds like a bearded dragon, or similar lizard setup.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2009 :  14:13:55  Show Profile
your prob right. it does look home made, although not as good as that guy who's made one out of a wardrobe !!!!

so i'll change the bulb to a led one. would a normal strip light bulb do ?

and im pleased i didnt kill him lol

xx hannah xx
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2009 :  21:15:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
what temperature were you running the hot end at?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  14:28:27  Show Profile
it was 30c/85f

ive been looking in my reptile shop and there's so many different ones. like ive seen a "daylight" one but its still 2.0% uvb. the one we got is only 5.0...but thats wrong !

what type do you have or what do you suggest ?

xx h xx
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  16:05:01  Show Profile
Dont use any tube lights, they flicker and will anoy the snake. Your better off not using a light.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  16:13:11  Show Profile
If you get any light, should be a red bulb "ceramic" I think. I dont use lights so I havent a clue.

But if you go for the red bulb, you need a dimming stat probe in the area the bulbs shining, ideally the hot end without the mat on, one or the other.

There needs to be a guard over the bulb, and a proper fitting in the roof of the viv with a suitable sized hole for the wirses to come out.

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  16:35:02  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Ceramics are used for heavier bodied snakes, no? Pythons etc..
I've always believed that just a standard red 60w + Dimmer was fine?

I don't use bulbs either, so I;m not certain on it ^^

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  16:45:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

If you get any light, should be a red bulb "ceramic" I think.

Ceramics are, er..ceramic. Red bulbs are red light bulbs. Two differant things

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  19:58:36  Show Profile
...matty !

...but getting back to it, those daylight bulbs are no good then as they contain uv still ?

xx h xx
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  21:07:28  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
dont use strip lights for snakies full stop. the lights flicker at a rate that we cant see but snakes see at a much higher frame rate (about 50 frames a second in comparison to our 20) so they can see the light flickering and its likly to cause disterbance...i mean how annoying is it to use if one of our lights is flickerin all the time :P

its good to hear that you're soncerned and its good that you're askign advice. My motto is that if you not sure or don't know just ask, its betterthan getting it wrong, and for better peace of mind :)

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  06:27:18  Show Profile
exactly. im always on this site looking up different things lol.

thanks everyone for your advice. before i get another on i'll change the light and fitting compleatly. might even get a new tank altogether lol.

thanks again

xxx hannah xxx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000