New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  12:30:43  Show Profile
How ethical is the production of mice and rats and chicks (etc.) for food purposes? I'm a bit of a hippy and I realised the other day that I have no idea what conditions the adults that so diligently produce the "product" for me to give to my snake are kept in. I prefer to eat organically reared and produced meat myself (I've been a vegetarian in the past but... it's boring ) so are there any ethically sound mouse-producers around so Bella can eat her pinkies guilt-free?

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  14:54:56  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
i think they are just mass produced in rubs and put to sleep in a very humane way by means of co2.Would imagine that things are clean and tidy but they not "free range".If this is what your after i would imagine that you would have to breed your own

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  15:02:20  Show Profile
La la la *sticks fingers in ears* i prefer to take the don't think about it approach, everytime i get all hippy about free range eggs ane meat or local veg it ends up costing me way too much money and Tizzy becomes a very dull bird who cant go out to play.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  16:22:22  Show Profile
Oh god I couldn't do that Lee!

I keep envisaging battery chicken farms and thinking oh no, poor mouses :(

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  16:27:12  Show Profile
In realtity its probably very cramped conditions with small amounts of concentrated food.

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  17:39:24  Show Profile
I cant imagine mice loving the green, open pastures of yonder, they tend to prefer dark, small places with regular food, I can't imagine them being too unhappy with their living conditions... i'm no mouse tho so i cant be certain
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  19:13:59  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
Mice produced for food purposes are raised and killed very humanly. In fact out of most animals raised for food, they are porbably treated one of the best.

They are kept in farily large RUBs with a lot of mice in, but if you think about it, when you see those plagues of mice in Oz and stuff, its the lifestyle they'd live in anyway. They are fed highly nutritious, concentrated food, bu they are not force fed or given highly fatty food etc. When the time comes, they are put in a special box, and CO2 gas is quickly pumped in, so instead of feeling the effects of CO2 poisoning, the mouse jsut fees like it's going to sleep.

So not too bad really. Personally I'd rather feeling liek I was falling asleep than be electrocuted then have my throat slit!

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  19:28:44  Show Profile
I think its humanely. But the generation are being bred just for the feed of snakes. They keep some for adults to breed later life, then they become XL's etc.

But then again, whats harsh, killing a mouse which soul purpose is to be fed to a snake or a snake starving to death just because of its natural adaptions to eat rodents

Hm. Been argued quite a while.
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  22:43:42  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
In my opinion, its like humans eating meat. It's what we were built to do, like snakes were. So I think there's nothing wrong with it, as long as we do it properly :)

~~ My Zoo ~~
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  22:52:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PunkAsF82

So I think there's nothing wrong with it, as long as we do it properly :)

Agreed. Only think its wrong if a mouse say, dies before the snake eats it. Its purpose is to be served nice and warm and dead to a snake. Not died of disease. Its wasted then.
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  23:01:08  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
yeh. I mean yeh in the wild I think it's ok for the snake to catch a live mouse. But then the mouse is so used to being chased... y'know. No unnatural stress.

But in captivity, I think its kinder to mosue and snakie for the moue to be dead beforehand. Stop the mouse experaince stress its never had before in likrfe, and stop snakies risk of getting bitten when, to be fair, a captive born snake is NEVER goign to be as aggresive or as good at defending itself as a snake that has grown up having to catch its own food and defend again predators :P

~~ My Zoo ~~
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  00:39:36  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:

a captive born snake is NEVER goign to be as aggresive or as good at defending itself as a snake that has grown up having to catch its own food and defend again predators :P

You have not met my mexi yet

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  09:23:18  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

quote:

a captive born snake is NEVER goign to be as aggresive or as good at defending itself as a snake that has grown up having to catch its own food and defend again predators :P

You have not met my mexi yet

~~ My Zoo ~~
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  10:28:53  Show Profile
Agreed.
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  15:07:43  Show Profile
I've got to agree with lee here, mexis are ferocious!
Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  21:49:54  Show Profile
quote:

In my opinion, its like humans eating meat. It's what we were built to do, like snakes were. So I think there's nothing wrong with it, as long as we do it properly :)

Yeah, that what I think as well, which is why I hope it is done properly! Sounds like it is from replies here. Thanks everyone.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  22:00:08  Show Profile
Interesting read, and a question that has been floating around my mind in all honesty.

Mutt, Mog and mmmm...Snake!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000