Corn wont be touched
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  18:11:04  Show Profile
Well i have posted about my aggressive corn before.

Advise was to wear gloves and to leave them in Viv so he can get my smell.

Thing is it still aint working, as soon as i touch him he darts off and strikes. Now i dont mind the stikes but dont want him to dart out of the viv, fall on the floor and thats the last we see of him/her lol

I have been told now to cover him with a pillow case and then pick him up as this might settle him down.

True or False?

My wifes baby corn is the complete opposite, he never strikes or even goes to strike when being picked up. Tends to poop though as soon as his out of the viv lol

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  19:05:25  Show Profile
Yup, you can handle him through the cotton till the skittiness subsides then time for no pillowcase
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  19:13:36  Show Profile
well this is how i would tame a corn snake
if it's an adault put some gloves on then just handle em for like 5 mins a day in the 1st week then step it up to 10 mins the next week
dont give up if it bites, just be gentle and dont make movements towards its head or you will scare it.

if it's a baby 1 then just handle it with out gloves
let it strike you it will soon carm dawn
5 mins a day again and then 10 mins the next week

thats how i would do it.

ps if it bite's you don't move your hand away you might damage his or her teath.
later

Edited by - n/a on 12/05/2009 19:17:06
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  22:29:33  Show Profile
ummmm, that all welland good if i could catch it. As soon as i open the viv and make the slightest movement toward him he dart of up his plants or hides. If i lift off his hide his in a 'S' shape strike position and you can see him thinking, 'yeah come on, just abit closer'

Easier said than done not pulling your hand away even after all the times his gone for me i still do it but his never actually bite me yet.

If he doesnt calm down though i think his going to have to be given away to someone who can tame him or just not hold him at all :-( His about 2ft long now so not an adult and not really a baby. He was got from a reptile sanctuary so may not have been held much or mistreated :-(
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  01:33:34  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Does sound like he's gonna be a nice long running settle in.
Dunno if it's been asked before, but what are the dimensions of the viv he's in as well?

In regards the pillow case as well, put a nice fresh one on your pillow and use it for a nights kip, then put it into the viv with a tube or something going IN to it. (I know that pillow cases aren't exactly small, but it can be done).
If he prefers to sit in the hide in the warm end, then put that hide inside the pillow case as well so when he goes through tube into case he has 'new' smell along with his lovely secure hide.

Then the next day, pick up pillow case with snakie in it already, and ease hide out and handle for a bit through that.

I'd only do a couple mins a day for start inside a pillow case, just to get him used to the contact.

Or do a Wolfpirit.......
Pillow case with snake in pushed inside your jumper/shirt.
That gives the warmth, plus your smell at the same time.

The most important part of getting a snake handleable is getting them to learn that you are not a predator, and they can feel secure with you.

Hence why just being in a pillow case close to your body for 5 mins a day may do more good than gloves for a start. He should then start associating you and feeling secure, and that's when you move up to direct handling.

"Small steps take time, but the outcome is worth it" - My grandad

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  06:55:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Or do a Wolfspirit.......
Pillow case with snake in pushed inside your jumper/shirt.
That gives the warmth, plus your smell at the same time.

"Small steps take time, but the outcome is worth it" - My grandad

lol...That was a royal Phil..

I have a corn that likes to leg it when i enter her viv and she is real funny does the tail rattle and everything, but it is all bluff with her.

i also had problems with her in her viv, she was in a white viv now i have her in a darker one and since moving her she seems to have calmed down a bit, she is actually watching me as i sit typing this..lol

the other thing that will hold your smell is kitchen roll or tissue, rub it on your skin and leave a few bits in there.

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  08:45:45  Show Profile
the viv is 3 foot long, his been in there a few weeks and had no problems feeding him in there so i presume his happy in there. He has 2 hides, 1 a cave and one is some cork bark. There is also a branch for him to climb up and some plants hanging down which he loves to climb inside peep out of and hide.

His never bought his food up, which im feeding him 2 fluffs but will be moving him up on 1 small every week on his next feed (saturday) So im thinking that he is pretty happy in the viv?

I will give the pillow case a try, but if that dont work you may find a post on here saying 'free aggressive corn for rehoming' lol

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  09:50:25  Show Profile
Good luck, Alan i really hope things work out for you and snakey although i can see it being a long haul before he calms down. Where do you live? Just thinking if there are any other members close they may be able to pop round and give you abit more confidence?

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  10:18:32  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
i got the same problem with my newest corn. time is the only thing you can count on
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  10:39:19  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

Even though that was for a different reason and a different snake, it popped into my head, and I thought it might be a good place to start as well.

You need to trademark that way of calming.

Wolfspirits-pillowcase-calming-method(tm)

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  11:21:54  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
aww bless you Kehhlyr :)

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  12:35:05  Show Profile
Im in Yardley, Birmingham, should anyone want to come get get struck at lol. Maybe im doing something wrong when trying to get him as this is the first snake i have had and his sensing it.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  13:13:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

Even though that was for a different reason and a different snake, it popped into my head, and I thought it might be a good place to start as well.

You need to trademark that way of calming.

Wolfspirits-pillowcase-calming-method(tm)

That actually worked for a Jap Rat snake recently as well....but it also had an RI so it might not count...lol..

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  15:26:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by alanw15

ummmm, that all welland good if i could catch it. As soon as i open the viv and make the slightest movement toward him he dart of up his plants or hides. If i lift off his hide his in a 'S' shape strike position and you can see him thinking, 'yeah come on, just abit closer'

Easier said than done not pulling your hand away even after all the times his gone for me i still do it but his never actually bite me yet.

you still have to catch it to put in the pillow case

silly queston would it not stress the snake even more by putting it in a pillow case because they carn't see whats going on around them.

i still think the best way to do it is face it head on

Edited by - n/a on 13/05/2009 15:39:58
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  15:35:41  Show Profile
have a read at this http://pet-snakes.com/taming-snake

later

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  20:32:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by alanw15

the viv is 3 foot long, his been in there a few weeks and had no problems feeding him in there so i presume his happy in there. He has 2 hides, 1 a cave and one is some cork bark. There is also a branch for him to climb up and some plants hanging down which he loves to climb inside peep out of and hide.

seriously, try a smaller viv! a 3 footer is massive for a baby corn, a smaller enclosure will halp him feel more secure and it will be easier to pick him up as he'll not be able to just disappear off round the giant viv.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  00:31:49  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
You know what Gingerpony, I asked about viv size in the first place, how did I miss the answer???

Whisky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  07:26:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
seriously, try a smaller viv! a 3 footer is massive for a baby corn, a smaller enclosure will halp him feel more secure and it will be easier to pick him up as he'll not be able to just disappear off round the giant viv.

it's not the baby one his haveing problems with ,
it's his 2 foot 1 so 3 foot viv should be ok.

anyway good luck with your snake mate.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  21:29:47  Show Profile
Well i gave up, my snake Sid Vicious won. I took him to the local petshop to exchange for another one today as well as adding £45 on top.

I now know he just did not like me one bit. The guy in the petshop just picked him up no problems whatsoever, had him sliding through his fingers and put him right up to his nose, Sid didnt even try in the slightest to snap at him. Sid was also half way to a shead as his eyes was a bluey colour which i have read is ment to be when the snake is at its crankiest.

Well my new one is totally the opposite with me, lets me pick him up, climbs all over me and not once tried to snap at me. His grey with the usual markings on top and then has strips running the full length on his sides of his body (Ghost?) His roughly 3 foot long. His just been fed 2 fluffs so will now let him settle in for the next 2 days before handling him again.

As for Sid, well hopefully he will go to another new home and settle down with its new owner and live a long life. I was told to take him back to the Reptile Sanctuary but there was no way i was doing that to the poor thing. Would have loved to have kept him but my kids wanted to hold him but i just couldnt trust him.

Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  10:56:48  Show Profile
My Rizla doesn't like anyone going into his viv. Gets very upset and anoyed.
I had to leave one of the doors open and wait for him come out on his own. Then just put my hands there to support him and he was ok.
Only problem is, now, every time I open the door he wants to come out.
Persevere. It will be worth it in the end.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000