Handling
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  14:09:56  Show Profile
Basically, I got a corn snake just over a week ago. It had been handled in the shop a bit, but unfortunatly when I bought her they did not tell me how I should handle her, and me being fussy would like any tips on handling snakes safely? I've never had a snake before and I don't really want to scare or hurt her. A few people have said 'Just tip it out of its pot and grab it" Which to me sounds a little brutal.

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  14:38:16  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
i always pick it up with my hand open so it knows you havent got food, sounds dtupid but i have been struck at and rep shop told me to try it, andway dont tip it out never ever pick it up and let it weave in and out of your fingers or around your neck wherever it wants to go and as long as you feel comfortable with it but dont drop it it can cause serious harm.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  14:53:21  Show Profile
Ok, thanks a lot =] I knew the other people talking about ti were wrong I just thought i'd make sure =]

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  15:27:01  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
any problems ask mate everyone is willing to help and most know a lot more than me
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  21:26:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
reach for your snake smoothly and without rushing or grabbing. aim to get hold of the midddle third of the snake then as you pick it up support its weight.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  21:35:22  Show Profile
My tactic is, handle rather later as he's asleep during the day. Like now, when its evening or getting dark. So i lift his hide off, let him smell me then put my hand on his body gently, so he knows i'm there. Then just gently scoop him up, as when I get him he's always coiled up but if he's on the move I put my hand in his path for him to slither onto.

After the scoop, I let him go up my arm, whilst supporting and shake off any aspen off gently then there we go.

Putting back I let him sltiher into the tank.

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  15:23:26  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
same as me then hillzi. like i said as long as you are confident holdin the snake nothin will go wrong. its when ppl get jumpy that damage can happen
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  11:52:58  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address
ahhh gd idea doing it in the evening im gaggin to handle mine now but she is in slumber so as was active last night hopefully she will be active this eve so will attempt then just means kids have to stay out the way..lol

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  20:21:34  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address
damn at half 7 she was along the base of the lid but as its a slide n lift lid the movement of tht made her fall into her water bath n she buggered off behind her log, want to try n let her come out by herself so just sat there for 20 mins seeing if shed figure it out she flicked the air a few times then went off back into warm hide.. but did run me finger along her body which made her move quicker might stop for the night n try again tomoz.:(

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000