8 foot Albino Burm.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  13:55:18  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
One of my friends neighbours has just bought herself a 8 foot albino burm. She paid 500 quid for it with everything (apparently). The reason she bought it is because her boyfriend has snake experience, so he can help her. I've just found out that his snake experience is incredibly limited, he USED to keep garter snakes.
I have no idea where she bought it from yet, she said it was a shop, but i'm gonna try get round a bit later on today and get more info.
She has obviously taken on more than she realises, she got told to feed it frozen/thawed chickens, so guess where she went to get them??? Tescos!!! She then was wondering why it wasn't eating.

What stupid person would sell a burm to a woman that's never even held a snake before, and has difficulty lifting it, because of it's weight plus she's expecting a baby.
Saying that though, I might be able to 'rescue' it in a month or 2.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  14:00:16  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
A shop that likes £500 cash?

Keep us posted Kehhlyr

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  15:40:05  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
find out where she got it from coz they obviously care about money more than snake welfare
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  16:31:11  Show Profile
Dopey people.

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  16:41:42  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
this is why there should be licensing on huge / potentially dangerous snakes like a burm
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  16:41:49  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
I knew you were going to say she went to a super market lol,she must be a total nutter seeing shes preggers too

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  17:21:29  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Going to tesco's for food?
A nice BBQ dinner for him? :S

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  19:06:57  Show Profile
... Dozey mare.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  19:08:18  Show Profile
I Think CRAZY lady Is More Appropriate :L
x

0.0.1 Snow Corn(Jeffrey)
0.1.0 Motley Stripe(Jorgia)
0.1.0 Motley (Storm)
0.2.0 Cats (Lola & Lilli)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  23:49:24  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I haven't been able to talk to my mate, or her neighbour today, but When I do, i'll let you know whats happening.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  10:48:47  Show Profile
8foot long snake... pregnant... i think the snake will more than likly try eating her child if shes offering it frozen chickens from tesco.

My neigbour new a women with a big snake and she used to let it sleep on her bed on a night, then after a while she noticed it wasn't sleeping curled up anymore but it was laying at full stretch along the bed. Being worried she rang up the vet to see if they could tell her what was wrong & why was it laying straight. The vet said okay i'll come over just get everyone out the house and wait outside till i get there. "Do NOT go inside the house" she was told.
Anyway when the vet came he had to kill the snake because it turns out the snake was sizing the lady up for a meal! (True story!)

I think i remember my neigbour saying that snake was around 8feet long, so there is a perfect reason inexperienced people shouldn't get anything bigger than a corn snake. Not because they might get eating, but because the poor snake is the one who has its life ended for doing nothing wrong, all the snake was doing is what its natural instincts tell it to, eat things. Poor snakies!

I agree Ari i think anything over 6 or 7 feet should need a license.

1.0 Bearded Dragon - Loki
0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
1.1 Mexican Black King Snakes - Nameless
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  11:12:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Markus

My neigbour new a women with a big snake and she used to let it sleep on her bed on a night, then after a while she noticed it wasn't sleeping curled up anymore but it was laying at full stretch along the bed. Being worried she rang up the vet to see if they could tell her what was wrong & why was it laying straight. The vet said okay i'll come over just get everyone out the house and wait outside till i get there. "Do NOT go inside the house" she was told.
Anyway when the vet came he had to kill the snake because it turns out the snake was sizing the lady up for a meal! (True story!)

Oh er any one else ever heard this one a million times before??? Urban Myth me thinks!

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  12:22:36  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
yep,think your nieghbours friend may of exagerated slightly

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  14:08:08  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
tis an urban myth, but when my (then) 3 foot long sid escaped and ended up in my nieces bed, I told her it was measuring her.
She believed me. She was about 5ft 6 then as well.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  14:16:32  Show Profile
i have heard this so meny times!
i think everyones auntys neighbours snake went to eat them lol
xx

0.0.1 Snow Corn(Jeffrey)
0.1.0 Motley Stripe(Jorgia)
0.1.0 Motley (Storm)
0.2.0 Cats (Lola & Lilli)
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  17:43:42  Show Profile
Haven't heard it that.

Now know it if I hear it. Lol
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  19:06:15  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
The shop should be named and shamed!! It is appalling that could sell a potentially dangerous snake to someone with such limited experience.

My Burmese was 12ft long when I had to sell him......... and weighed about 100lb (45kg). They get very large and very strong very quickly!!

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  22:33:59  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I have to say, the shop is normally VERY good. I've heard them turn people away that want a snake, but don't have enough knowledge.
Maybe this recession has changed how they work?????

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  06:55:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
They haven't done anything wrong to be honest though have they - like you said, in the current climate it could be a case of sell or close.

Markus, can't believe you fell for that one

Good luck Phil, sounds like you may have a big snake soon.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  09:53:09  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Hehehe I've heard that story before...funny how it was only one case eh ;)
This is why conservation groups want to get rid of reptiles as pets, silly people keep buying them and getting hurt.. not to mention the damage done to the snake, frozen chickens indeed! I wonder if she even thought to take the bag of giblets out :P

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000