New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  22:26:51  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
Since joining this forum I've seen quite few ideas for new vivarium set ups so I have copied them unashamedly and you've cost me a fortune

The main thing I've added is a thermostat as I have always run without one before. Since I've done that I have decided to dispense with the heat mat and just use the lamp for heat. I'm leaving the mat in place (but unplugged) though just incase the bulb isn't powerful enough or it fails and I haven't got any spares. I've also changed my thermometers for an LED one with two probes and have added LED lighting for the night. I've also added some things for Monty to climb on, not that he's ever bothered before and a bit of extra foliage.

The pics are here

http://s449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/lindleyca/Monty/?albumview=grid

Let me know if I've missed anything.

Just one question - If I'm soley using a lamp for heat should the thermometer / thermostat probes be in line of sight of the bulb or in the warm hide?

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  22:30:23  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
Oh yeah, I bought the wrong shade of varnish to stain facia for the LED lights. However, it can't be seen unless you are really looking at it and if Monty complains I'buy him a brush to do it himself

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  23:23:06  Show Profile
I have a thermometer at each end of Moe's viv and just experimented with the position of the thermostat probe until I could get the temperatures I was after at both ends of the viv. I'm also just using a lamp for heating and have the thermostat probe positioned in line of site about half way along the viv.

I am new at this mind, so all this is said with no real authority whatsoever! ;)

Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  14:03:30  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
Just to experiment I put my temp probe directly under the the light this morning, on top of his hide and it went to 43°C, now I know the viv doesn't get that hot because the wall mounted thermometers I had went to about 32°C. When the probe was under the hide it got to about 29°C so I'm gonna put it back there, turn the mat off and put the stat on.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  14:35:19  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
great looking viv,done a great job there

Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  22:15:10  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

great looking viv,done a great job there

Thanks.

After all that Monty hasn't climbed on any of the new stuff...

Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  15:06:33  Show Profile
Give him time. He's probably all over it when you're not about.
Hope he's not like mine.
He trashes his viv if he doesn't like how its set out. I'm forever having to put things back where I want them lol

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000