white oak ratsnake
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

177 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  13:22:16  Show Profile
hi i need help and advice asap! my white oak ratsnake is not doin well. when i first rehomed him he was fine then he became very aggressive. he has now tried biting and rattles his tail when i go near his viv. what should i do? i have tried to be patient and calm him but he gets better and then gets worse. its getting to the point where im afraid to get him out. i dont know what to do. HELP!

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  22:29:29  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
what can i say, it's a rat snake............. it's being ratsnake-ish!
sorry, that's no use what-so-ever, but i will say 'been there, done that, swapped it for a Royal'

BUMP!! come on guys, ideas!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  13:37:41  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I think that your fear is probably making him worse. I know it's harder to do than say, but try and be more calm around him and it should encourage him to be calm too.

Have you been bitten by your rat snake yet? Usually snake bites don't hurt so try not to fear it as much. The shock of a bite is far worse than the actual bite, so try not to react if he does go for you.

I say this because from a snakes point of view he's winning. He is acting defensively because he wants to be left alone. If you leave him alone everytime he goes for you then he'll realise his tactics are working, so will continue to do them. If you can make him see that being aggressive doesn't work and you are going to handle him anyway, then he should learn that there's no point being nasty, because it's not making you leave him alone anyway.

Keep us posted anyway and we'll try to help. The sock in the viv technique usually works too, so try that. They easily get used to your scent that way.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  16:34:24  Show Profile
Good post Kaz. I just thought I would add that if the snake clearly doesnt want to be handled, I would only bother conditioning him to it so that you can move him to be cleaned out. He clearly doesnt want any more human contact than that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000