Damn Reptile Guy and a question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  21:55:42  Show Profile
Well i have posted here before about my snake i got from a reptile sanctuary who just loves to strike at me.

Well my wife decided that she wanted one also. So i go and get her a baby one from a reptile shop this time, its just under 12" long.

The shop keeper said, oh i was just about to feed it and showed me what she was gonna feed it, her first fuzzy. Im like, hang on a bit, i was told by the santuary guy that my 18" snake olny had 2 pinkies every week. She then told me that the reason my snake could be strike happy is because i'm basically starving her and i should be giving him 2 fuzzies or a small mouse. Which i guess makes sense.

The only thing i did'nt get is that she asked how i set the viv up. I told her that i had a heat lamp with the habistate probe under the lamp. I was told this is wrong and should have the probe the other side of the viv (cooler part). But got home and thought, well if the probe is at the other end of the viv surely this would not cut off the lamp until it reach 34C, so under the lamp it would be even hotter. So where would the cool part of the viv be??????

So the question is, should the probe be on the otherside of the viv to the heat lamp?

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  22:08:45  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
The food should be 1x/1.5x the width of the widest part of the snake.. So if after you feed him, you see a noticeable bulge; then it's enough.
If not, try upping the food size.

As for the probe.. Having it at the cool end makes no sense!
If you have it at the hot end, then it will stop it getting too hot.. Which is the whole point of the probe!
Otherwise the hot end would get way too hot, and sizzle your snakey :(
So yeah, I'd say you were definitely right about that one! ^^

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  22:15:26  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
i dont know how some pet shop owners get away with the advice they give,if you place the probe in the cool end you would fry your snake

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  22:16:13  Show Profile
well i feed him today and boy did he go for the food and that was a few hours after moving him from a small viv into a 3ft one. His now got a bulge and after feeding he explored his new viv, plants, water bowl and cork log. Hopefully he will be a happy little snake now.

Glad about the probe bit, as thats how i had it set up to begin with, probe under lamp. Then changed it to how she said, then changed it back to how i set it up originally. Its just the way she looked at me as if to say, you dumb ass lol
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  22:18:21  Show Profile
oh the shop where the women told me this was Birmingham Reptile and Pets, youngish girl i'd say she was early 20's
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  22:26:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Spedz

The food should be 1x/1.5x the width of the widest part of the snake..
that's a guideline for maximum prey item size

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  11:32:54  Show Profile
Rule number #1 when dealing with a pet shop. Know what you want before you go in, & get what you came for... Never let them talk you into "this much better more expensive version" of what you intened to buy.
Rule number #2 Nod & Agree with what they say, then complain about how wrong they are on the way home.

Repeat after me.
I will NEVER take the pets shops advice EVER!

lol sorry, i have a thing about pet shops giving *crap*(for lack of a better word) advice & "tips", all they want to do is make your snakie as worse off as they can, in fact im sure theirs probaly a notice in most of these places staff rooms saying, "KILL THE CUSTOMERS SNAKES WITH BAD ADVICE & GET COMMISION ON THE NEXT ONE THEY BUY!" all they want is for you to spend as much money as they can get you to spend.

Saying that, some pet shops are actuly good with animals and will give good advice, but you can never be too sure, so good job on asking on the forums about what they told you to do :) 10 Gold stars for alanw15!

1.0 Bearded Dragon - Loki
0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
1.1 Mexican Black King Snakes - Nameless
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  13:30:49  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Not all rep shop owners give bad advice, you just have to visit a few before you find a good one.

Always back up any advice given with internet research anyway. That way, you know when you've got a bad shop and a good one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000