4x2x2 vivarium
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2009 :  16:00:22  Show Profile
Im desperatly in need of a new vivarium for my bearded dragon he's out grown the one he's in now. Only problem is im absolutly skint, i've got £18.64 to my name, Any one got any money saving tips on how i can make a vivarium 4feet x 2feet x 2feet.

I know its stretching little over a large space but im desperate.

Thanks

1.0 Bearded Dragon - Loki
0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
1.1 Mexican Black King Snakes - Nameless

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2009 :  17:19:19  Show Profile
Go to ikea and look in the carpark for the scap wood recycling (got a nice big bit of coated chipboard for the back of my new stack last week) It's free and there is always loads if your not fussy on colour or it all matching. If your super skint then you can also nick the vents, glass and runners from your current viv and make the glass part of the front the same size as your current viv. Box of screws, jobs a good un.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2009 :  20:41:19  Show Profile
Im not bothered if its all the same colour i guess i can just paint it. Think if i can get the wood for free i'd be able to buy the vents & runners for a couple of quid & my dad can get plexiglass for free cut to any size i need from work.
Hmm i guess ill have to go find the nearest ikea. If there isn't an ikea near me would B&Q or any other place have one of these bins?

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2009 :  20:55:17  Show Profile
Ikea if the only place I know of where it's free. B&Q often have offcuts by the cutting area pretty cheep (left behind by people who have had to buy a whole sheet and cant be ****d to squeeze the leftovers in the car) You could also try looking in the free to collect section of your local free ads/trade it or join your local freecycle yahoo group and try and get a wardrobe or chest of draws to dismantle or adapt. GP made a really nice stack from an old chest of draws a while back.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  11:26:42  Show Profile
Scrapped the idea of starting from scratch, going to make a stack now out of a big wardrobe, hoping to get 1arge viv at the bottom for beardie & 3 smaller vivs at the top for corn snake & 2 mexican blacks.

This is the wardrobe im going to use. Its 43inchs wide, 55inchs tall & 21inchs deep. (not including draws.)

Im hoping to make the bottom into a 25inch tall viv for 2 bearded dragons & then 3 vivs above that at 10inchs, do you think 10inchs will be tall enough for snakes, i can fit a few things in so they can climb, just woundering if thats enough climbing space?
The draws at the bottom will be staying as storage space for pooper scoopers & what not.

I was thinking id knock out the wooden panels on the front and just put in some clear sheets of plastic but then if i was cleaning out the beardie at the bottom the snakes above might get into each others vivs & try eat each other so im kind of at a stand still.
How would i make it so that each viv opens seperatly without getting rid of the wardrobe doors? would i need to cut them all and add extra hindges? or would it be less work to just get rid of the doors and use a sliding door stlye for each seperate vivarium? if i get rid of the doors im worried that the overall look of the project will be compromised.

Any advice is welcome & much appritiated. Thanks.

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo

Edited by - n/a on 24/04/2009 11:28:06
Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  13:13:05  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
I think 10" tall might be a bit too small for corns. Mine is 18" and its not a lot of room if they want to climb around a bit. I could be wrong though.

For ease of building / cleaning the viv's I would have thought sliding access to each one individually would work out the best and look the neatest.

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  16:57:17  Show Profile
Yeah i wasnt sure on the 10inch for each snake viv but i need a bit more room for the lizard, maybe ill just make it into a stack for the 2 mexican blacks & the bearded dragons & my corn will be okay in a RUB for a long time yet as shes only tiny. Its a shame nothing is ever the right size for what ya need is it lol.

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  18:44:06  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
should look good,keep the drawers they will come in handy and i would go for glass sliding doors.Did'nt know you had mexis,are you on the king snake forum?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  21:06:52  Show Profile
Yea just got them a few days ago, my ID on the king snake forums is Mark and Emma, no pictures yet still :)

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  23:31:56  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
i was wondering if it was you,your planning on breeding them.I want to get a female mexi to go with my male for breeding next year,picking up my new albino striped cali monday so pics to follow

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2009 :  10:48:07  Show Profile
Yeah i am planning on doing it but it wont be for a while yet, could only get 08 babys so might be another 2years yet, not sure if you have to wait as long as you do with corn snakes? can't wait too see pics :)

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  14:19:46  Show Profile
Just ordered all the sliding tracks, vents & door grips on the internet, so i should be starting in a couple of days, ill post some progression pictures up so you can see how its all going.

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  10:03:57  Show Profile
Creating a new thread in the pictures forum if any one is intrested in my stack :)

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000