Beardies and Mealworms
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  20:48:37  Show Profile
Hey guys i just read a frightening statement on yahoo answers about Mealworms. I fed my Beardie some today and now im REALLY panicking!

He said that mealworms can live, undigested, in the stomach, and are able to eat their way out of the beardie. He found that they had remained alive in the beardie's stomach for up to 4 weeks before eating their way out and killing the lizard.

Please help im like MEGA paniking now!

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  20:51:12  Show Profile
Now its not going to be a stable diet i only fed him some today coz i ran outa crickets. He got through them quicker than i thought lol

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  21:03:29  Show Profile
Dont panic - yahoo answers is full of nut jobs who like to make themselves feel important.

Yes beardies can eat mealworms, not as a staple but as a treat due to having a high fat content - google any decent beardie care sheet and it will tell you the same thing.

Hope this puts your mind at rest.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  21:14:16  Show Profile
Phew thank God for that, you read so many things you dont know whether its true or not.. hard to tell.. what about Waxworms? Can they be a treat too? I know there high in fat also

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  21:45:09  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

Dont panic - yahoo answers is full of nut jobs who like to make themselves feel important.

I agree.
The mealworm eating its way out of the stomache is just a myth.
And yep, Beardies will go crazy for waxworms. Just dont feed too many

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  22:03:47  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Waxies are a perfect treat for beardies.
Mine get waxies regularly, and Mealies.

The thing about mealies does have a small amount of truth to it, but it's NOT accurate.

It has been alleged in the past that peaople have fed king mealworms to beardie that was to small, and king-mealie caused internal damage with it's jaws.

But i think they pass things so quickly sometimes. I don't believe that much could survive inside a beardie gut for 4 weeks. Nothing survives in my vivs normally for more than 4 mins.
Beardies have a habit of eating the mealie head forst, and having a good crush down on it before eating. At least mine do anyway.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  22:20:13  Show Profile
Ahh ok i just didnt know wether it was true or not.. yea hes about 6inches and hes a brilliant eater! Everytime i lift the cricket box he comes running over to the glass its brilliant!
Such a lil personality for lil guy his age

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  01:26:10  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
If you think him running over towards the glass when you lift the crick box is good, just wait until you put a Waxie where he can see it. Mine go mental.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  22:32:47  Show Profile
Wax worms is how i tamed my lil nut job beardie - he loves um and couldn't help climbing on to my hands to come and get them. Now he's mega chilled about being handled.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  00:33:43  Show Profile
Hehe i just cant wait untill he gets older, hes only a young un and yet hes SO much fun to watch and play with :) There the BEST pet ever.. behind Corns ofcourse :p but there so entertaining

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  14:49:32  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
what a load of BS! lol. literallty lolled when i read it :P
Not at you for questioning it, but at the person for even writing it.

I personally feed my beardies on mealies as a staple :) I find they're very good and as I only feed them once every few days, it's far more substantial and I give them greens on the side

The reason I don't feed hoppers is cause I HATE the little b**tards! Evil things, one bit Cooper on the head and took a scale off :(

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: