New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2009 :  13:59:10  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
Can someone recommend a decent thermostat / timer / thermometer brand please?

I'm redoing a few things in the vivarium and one of things I haven't got is thermostatic control of the heating mat. Up to now I have always had the mat on (except in summer) and a 60w bulb (and judged the temperature by wall mounted thermometers). That combination keeps the temperature towards the top end of the scale. However, I really should have better control and the technology has become more affordable since the last time I looked. My thoughts were to keep the light on and have the mat under control. However, if I changed the lamp for an LED type and just used the heat mat for temp would that affect my snake, i.e not getting any basking heat? I've never seen her bask, she normally gets into the hide and takes the heat from the mat but I am dubious about changing something like that since its been that way for 10 years.

The reason I am asking about LED lights is that I would like to add some moonlight effect for a few hours each night and then thought about LED lighting for the day.

Thanks for your answers,

Craig.

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2009 :  14:33:42  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage
have a look on e bay, you can get habistat thermostats for a reasonable good price, the heat mat will need to be plugged into a thermostat as physical contact with it can burn the snake and also with the heat bulb if it has no guard around it. i have a thermostat for my corns heat mat but its just a basic temperature one and works perfect with the heat mat, but not so good with the bulb as it makes the bulb flash on and off every few seconds, so thats why dimmer thermostats are best for bulbs, wether a dimmer thermostat will work with a heat mat i do not know. your LED light thingy for moonlight i have no clue about but personally wouldnt bother as a corn snake will have it own body clock so trying to create an artifical day and night time routine, personally i dont think the snake takes any notice of. back to the subject of heat bulbs and mats the bulbs are good for circulating air temperature and the heat mat is good for creating a specific basking spot (ie your snake coiling up directly on it) digital thermometers are always good too as you conbine the probe off them with the probe of the thermostat to get accurate readings.

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2009 :  15:30:50  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
Thanks for that. I tend to make things overly complicated as I'm a real gadget / technology fan.

From what you've said the bulb needs to stay. I had completely discounted the convection heating effect across all the viv and not just the hotspot. I guess if I used LED lighting completely I would end up with one hotspot and the rest of the viv the same temp, no real gradient as I currently have.

I've seem some thermometer/timer/stat combination units online today but although they look really good its probably more reliable to have a couple of single units instead, less to go wrong - easier to replace.

The LED's for moonlight were just for display purposes as when the red bulb goes off (about 8 ish) the viv gets the room light until we go to bed, so a couple of dim LED's shouldn't intrude too much.

Thanks,

Craig.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  20:08:55  Show Profile
Komodo or MatStat and top quality for stats. Any digi mometer or exoterra is good :)
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  20:57:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
The two main brands of thermostat are Habistat and Microclimate.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  13:19:20  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
I've bought a Habistat dimming thermostat. Follwing advice from my local shop I'll be using the red light to control the viv temp and forgettng about the heat mat. I think I'll leave the mat in, just unplugged, on the off chance that the bulb blows when I haven't a spare.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  13:35:14  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
I think habistat are better as they offer a 5 year fix or replace guaratee if you still have the receipt but microclimate only offer a 12 month,so make sure you keep your receipt safe.

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  15:13:20  Show Profile
komodo ones are rubbish... or at least mine is...
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  17:11:39  Show Profile
Awh poo got emw rong Microclimate one works wonders
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  17:18:33  Show Profile
http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=994

these are really good for subtle night lighting at least my snakey doesn't mind it so i can watch her from my bed as i'm drifting off the use the clapper i bought to turn them off! clappers are fantastic inventions
Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  13:19:32  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
I bought a set of the Lucky Reptile LED's yesterday and a digital thermometer with two probes. So it looks like I have everything I need now accept for a large stick for him to climb up. Think I'll have a wander through the woods sometime soon and get something suitable that I can clean up.

jhmw1 - How many of the LED's are you using. I only want to create a dim light?

Thanks,

Craig.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000