Feeding places
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  20:10:21  Show Profile
Hi, i have recently heard that: when you have a snake and it gets to a certain age/size you have to take it out of its tank, to feed it. otherwise when you go into the tank to take it out, it will become aggressive. is this true?
all replies are appreciated

dantheman2944
Hatchling

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  20:45:32  Show Profile  Click to see dantheman2944's MSN Messenger address
my snake is nearly 5 ft, i always feed her in her viv, and have never had a problem

thanks to solid for the sig
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  20:50:24  Show Profile
ok thankyou
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  21:07:24  Show Profile
Some people do this, whereas others prefer to feed in the viv.

We feed James in the viv (put his pinkies in a bowl so that he can't accidentally eat any substrate) and have never had any problems with him striking. Having said that he is a very laid back little snake

I think it's just personal preference and what works best for you.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  21:32:04  Show Profile
ok thankyou Red
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  21:42:05  Show Profile
I take mine out to feed.
although i have just lobbed the mouse in the tank for my vicious one but if he's gonna get bought I want to try and get him used to being fed outside the viv near me a little bit more.

SUBSTRATE INSIDE SNAKE = ABSOLOUT NO - NO especially with their complex digestive system if swallowed their substrate it would involve pain for the snake and awkwardness as he'd have to regurge his whole mouse just for a little bit of aspen/
not good.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  22:55:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
A small amount of Aspen should pass through without trouble. Larger substrate like Beech chips could cause impaction though.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

79 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  23:51:05  Show Profile
hi i got my corn today i was told to feed it with with tongs as they are strike feeders and that it would be advisable to feed him in a seperate viv cos otherwise everytime i put my hand in the viv that he lives in then he could strike me thinking its food can anyone help me with the right advise he due to be fed on saturday thanks
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  04:01:09  Show Profile
follow that advice, either leave a mouse in a feeding tub (you can pick the mouse up in a plastic bag or something so that you don't get the mouse scent on you) or get some tweezers if it's pinkies or tongs if you prefer. Snakes have a very strong sense of smell (they taste it in the air) and it may start to associate your smell with food. Hence going for your hand when it smells it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000