Page: of 2

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  07:11:05  Show Profile
thats alright thanks;

no it defo aint me, guy i bought them off must have had on maintain diet;

mickey can i ask you something; what you got against me and how i care for my snakes??!!

Dude grow up.
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  07:16:32  Show Profile
Trust me I did my research - if i didn't feed them then it's kinda wierd COZ THERE'S A BULGE! on the bit of their body wierd their heads are touching..

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  09:31:18  Show Profile
To be honest mate, don't go jumping down peoples throats because what you have been doing is frankly wrong if those corns a 2 years old.

My corn is not even a year old yet and he is bigger than them two and he pounds down a fluff every 5 days.

Keeping them on pinkies is a bad idea not just because of the size of the food but pinkies have very little nutrients compared to older, more developed prey items.

I would switch them back to fluffs at least once a week, like I say I feed mine every 5-6 days.

I wouldn't be able to say without seeing them first hand but I think anything much bigger than a fluff might be a bit too much just yet. But like I say, without seeing them its a bit difficult to judge.

Also, just some food for thought (no pun intended, lol) most corns reach almost full adult size at 3 years, although they never stop growing really.

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  16:49:06  Show Profile
Hillzi, could you take two seperate shots of the snakes against a ruler? Its quite hard for people to judge the size of them in that pic.

Corns need the temperature in their tank to range from about 22-23*C to 27-30*C. You must have areas in the tank which support both sets of temperatures. With nothing to measure the temperature with, it could be totaly wrong. If its too cool it can stop the snakes being able to digest their food. Too hot and it could potentially kill the snakes. Its totaly possble that these snakes havent been given the right temperature in 2 years.

Also, with no thermostat, there is no way to stop the mat overheating (again possibly harming the snakes). Heatmats arnt designed in a way that keeps them at the right temperature.

As for food, Mulv has mentioned that pinkie mice have less nutrients than fluffs which is very true, so try and get them to take 1 fluff every 5-7 days. When feeding them please feed them seperatly and leave them secured in differant conatiners for 30mins before putting them back.

If you want to add me on msn, I will be more than happy to help you on there.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  20:03:35  Show Profile
Ok thanks matt :) will be feeding them a fluff each on wednesday.
Thanks everyone else. I did do my research though not biting your heads off i just had no one to ask anything. I got 2 books, which have been at my new house for weeks so i couldn't dig them out.

Yup when I get cash the first thing I'm buying is a thermometer and matstat.
Got some other little collectables which i'ma gonna ebay them and hopefully get a bomb (Beanie Babies I used to collect them, and as wer'e moving I dug them out)

they will grow after this AS their diet WILL be maintained right..?
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  20:07:04  Show Profile
Im not sure that they will grow that much, but I couldnt guess what their size would be.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  20:10:54  Show Profile
I'm sure it should hot have caused that bad affect theyr'e due a shed soon as both are going a little bit bluer.

They are healthy though found two fresh pooes this afternoon
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  21:08:16  Show Profile
i don't my 8 month old corn is larger than them as shes 24" now. maybe they have stopped growing due to undisirable conditions though i'm no expert.

from reading your other posts it seems like you have had their whole enclosure on heatmat and not just 1/3 add in an unregulated heatmat that can go up to 40c and your asking for problems i would go and get a thermostat asap!!! i'm not having a go but your snakes welfare is the most important thing!!!!
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  21:32:54  Show Profile
i totally agree on the welfare side!!!

And I also said I'm getting a matstat asap just a social problem at home I'd rather not go into.

and he has been sold.

Edited by - hillzi on 16/03/2009 21:33:11
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  06:53:48  Show Profile
he is coming to me, i am going to pick him up on Tuesday next week, earliest i can get down to him, so hopefully, with loads of tlc and stuff can get him onto the right track...and maybe he might grow a bit...or at least be comfortable. Thats what i am hoping anyways.

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  07:28:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Well done Anne, sure it won't take you long

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  18:29:35  Show Profile
Oh and btw;

I found out recently they were 3 months when i got them in december 07. I have had them just over a year in fact; so actually they are 18 months. so not 2 years so i'm not sure if i have stunted them. I was incorrect to say they were 2. i just guessed at it. theyr'e still small for a yearlings then?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  18:38:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Have you weighed or measured them yet?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  19:05:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

I got 2 books, which have been at my new house for weeks so i couldn't dig them out.

Yup when I get cash the first thing I'm buying is a thermometer and matstat.

Do neither of the 2 books say you should have stat?

Maybe with the money from Balboa you can pick up a stat.

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

46 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  20:04:58  Show Profile
wow ive had my corn 6 months and its 3 times as big as that but mine is very active tho
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  21:09:18  Show Profile
mine are very lazy. and yes when balboa is sold, stat will be mine

yes did mention them in both books but didn't say they were essential...
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  21:11:50  Show Profile
quote:
Have you weighed or measured them yet?

well theyr'e both about 14" long.

can't weigh them won't stay still enough lol!

And can't handle them as bellies full of fluff
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2009 :  22:40:32  Show Profile
my 2 year old corns are on either large mice or small rat weaners every 7 days. they should def be much bigger at that age, they're still the size of hatchlings. why not up their food gradually until they're on a more suitable food size :) im sure they'd enjoy the extra munch each week :)

Edited by - n/a on 19/03/2009 22:50:26
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2009 :  22:14:26  Show Profile
Yeah I bet they would but now come to think about it;

I DID DO MY ADDING WRONG! Having got them in december '07 at 7 months old (SUPPOSEODLY) Theyr'e around 18 months old.

Although the bloke mightv'e got them wrong I seen some pictures of yearling corns and the ones I seen look quite like my males. So that must've meant they were 3 months when I got them
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000