New baby corn, questions/help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  23:38:39  Show Profile
I have just bought my first corn snake, hes about 25 cm long, a normal colour (I think), not sure what sex (Ive called it Norman, so it's a him for now), or age.

Its living in a 60cm viv with lots of places to hide and climb. I have a heat mat over a 3rd of the tank and a normal luminaire,

The snake keeps escaping to a hide when ever I try to get him out to handle. is this normal? It has struck at me once also. I left a baby mouse on a rock the other night and it was gone in the morning. I wanted to watch him feed but he rarely comes out in the day. It spends most of the time in the same log (out of sight)

The temp in the hot end is about 24 degrees (it may be slightly higher on the chippings as the thermometer is about and inch or so above a 1.5inch layer of chippings. It will not seem to get any higher either.

I have tried handling too soon?? I've had him out twice but only for 30 secs or so as he was very tetchy

Apologies for all the questions, I read the care guide on here before I bought him, and thought I had it right? A few first time concerns I guess.

Cheers

Stuart

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  23:51:15  Show Profile

Here he is, also his home is the top picture

Edited by - n/a on 13/03/2009 23:57:17
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  23:55:02  Show Profile
nice snake, pics are a tsd big though.
striking and hiding is normal. leave him for a while to settle in and calm down and handle him every other day 5-10 minutes, then when he's used to yuor presence you can step it up a bit :)

Norman the snake i like it aha he's exactly like my one :D
Also welcome to the forum plently of nice friendly people here happy to help
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  23:56:08  Show Profile
and also he might get a bit stressed as the viv is massive and corns only need enough space to go to the other end and able to turn around. nice foliage though
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  00:02:04  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Ideally you'd have a thermometer in the hot end, right where the snake goes. So on top of substrate if he doesn't burrow.

How long have you had him??

Also, can you resize the piccys when you upload them to photobucket.
They're huge and being 2- 2.5megs could give some people difficulties. Cheers.

/edit, ok now see they've been resized.

Also, the viv is a bit big for him but you've got a fair bit of stuff in there, so it's not too bad, I would however still probably stick some more bits in to fill it up a bit more.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 14/03/2009 00:04:44
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  08:38:32  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
also 1.5 inch of substrate is proberly abit to much as will be stopping the heat come though

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  18:11:30  Show Profile
altho if he`s up by the light all the time its probably where he gets his warmth

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  09:54:52  Show Profile
I had him out last night, was panicking at first, but soon chilled out. He's getting more confident now, appearing a lot more. He is up by the light quiet alot, maybe that heat mat was a waste of €33, I've added a few extra bits of bark and an a rock. Planning to feed him tomorrow, hopefully he will feed infront of me this time.

Stuart

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  20:21:30  Show Profile
i think its a manner of how it was treated before, now my mate that brought the brotehr of my snake said to feed it as soon as its placed in the the viv to know its food is here and this is were it lives,

saying that when i brought them we was handling them all the way home very nice and no stress, or trying to get away infact he was sitting in my hand, maybe warming up but still.

as for hiding dont forget hes a small snake still and instict tells him to hide unless hes got to hunt for food so its natral for him to hide at this age/size, but keep handling him every day for short amount of times and he will defently come round

but best of luck and a very nice looking snake

funnily enoth your head marking look nearly the same as my snake lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  22:36:06  Show Profile
I bought a heat lamp today, but it is really really hot, im going to take it back tomorrow and get a cooler bulb. Should i take out the heat mat and the fluro tube as well? I fed him today, took his hiding log out and put it near the mouse, he grabbed it and took it into the log, which was good to watch, he ate with no problems either. going to handle him again tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  22:42:18  Show Profile
your better of getting a small ceramic heater there expencive but id recomend them and theres no powerfull light to hurt the snake,
what temps u running on cool and hot side?
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  22:42:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stuart adams

I bought a heat lamp today, but it is really really hot

Did you have it on a stat?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  20:01:17  Show Profile
No I don't have it on a stat, but I will get one. I swapped the bulb today for a lower power, but it is still way too hot, about 38 deg.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  20:07:56  Show Profile
It will always be too hot without a stat. The stat controls the temperature.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  21:52:30  Show Profile
if you have a heat bulb you need to get it on a dimmer stat or you will cook your snake..

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  21:29:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stuart adams

I fed him today, took his hiding log out and put it near the mouse, he grabbed it and took it into the log, which was good to watch, he ate with no problems either. going to handle him again tomorrow.

Watch out you don't feed corns up to 48 hours or untill they have pooed out every remnence of mousey otherwise he will regurge his meal
Nice sight to see, a mess to clean up and it stinks. (Luckily touch wood never happened to me)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000