Making a viv
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

65 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  16:24:15  Show Profile
Hi all i need some advice i,m turning a wall unit into a viv to house a 4ft corn snake which i,m getting tomorrow (sat) dimentions are approx 6ft x 3ft(high)x 2ft (front to back) firstly what would be the best substrate,heatlamp,heatmat,and uv light if any for a viv of that size and is there anything i have missed out hope i,m not being to cheeky but i,m quite nervous as this is my first snake and want to give it a great place to live

www.mybannermaker.com]

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  16:25:28  Show Profile
A 6ft viv for a corn snake? Thats massive! The most it will need (and will feel comfotable in) is a 4ft viv.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

65 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  16:31:18  Show Profile
hi matt ok then 4ft it is then any other ideas on the rest of the question....lol

www.mybannermaker.com]
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  17:07:34  Show Profile
Yeah sure, didnt aswer the rest as I wasnt sure if you would still convert the unit.

You dont need UV light
You dont have to use a light, I just use a heatmat on a mat stat.
Aspen is probably the best substrate in my view. Its clean and looks nice, snakes can burrow and tunnel in it too.

You will need a water bowl as well as a hide on the cool side and a hide on the warm side.

Have you read the care sheet on the main site?

Edited by - matty18714 on 13/03/2009 17:28:20
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  17:22:21  Show Profile
You just need a heat mat & a thermostat so it dosn't overheat, you can pick these both up for around £40, your heat mat should be big enough to cover 1/3 of the floor in your vivarium. Make sure theres a few places to hide(at least 1 hot & 1 cool) some places to climb & a water bowl as mentioned above. As mentioned above aspen shavings is a good substrate/bedding you can get some here http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-substrates-420/other-substrates-1173/prorep-aspen-bedding-42723.html i buy mine there its reasonable cheap i think :)

1.0 Bearded Dragon - Loki
0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
1.1 Mexican Black King Snakes - Nameless
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

65 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  21:35:53  Show Profile
hi matty & markus many thnx for the advice i,ve read the care sheet now and great job on the video matt spoke to the woman tonight and its a carolina and strike feeds is it best to use plastic or metal tongs to feed? hope you dont mind me asking

www.mybannermaker.com]
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  21:38:05  Show Profile
Im not sure whats better between plastic or metal, I feed with my hands but dont advise other people to do so.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000