Never see her....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  12:13:17  Show Profile
Well I've had her in her new viv for a good few weeks now but she's never out. I caught her drinking the oher day but as soon as she saw me she shot off and hid.

Is there anything I can do? The viv is 36"x18.5"x21" (LxWxH). She is over 33" long and the viv is full of decor so that she shouldn't feel exposed.

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  12:40:33  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
It just takes time,i didnt see my alot for the first month when i got it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  12:44:18  Show Profile
It's so frustrating! I've not handled her yet :(

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  13:33:02  Show Profile
i had a lizard like this once
would hide under a large branch i had, as soon as i tried to retrve him he would go nuts, but after 5 mins of handling a day and once beeing poo'd on!! he was good as gold after a few weeks, as soon as the lid was off he was out almost trying to get on my arm and would sit on my sholder/acros my neck for ages

as much as the snake hide you need to handle her/him i suppose. also i know feeding from you hand or showing thats were its food come from it will soon be ok with you

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 13/03/2009 21:49:06
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  13:51:31  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
i personly would go ahead and handle her,leave it to long and you wont bond

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  13:55:49  Show Profile
mm i do agree, all the time i didnt handle my lizard it was skittish shy away and run round the tank like a nut case!! but handle it like i said even 5 mins a day for a week obisly taking in to acount the time between it feeding, but graduly increse the time up to 20-30ms

they will only enjoy your compny for so long so you have to watch out for this switch over point or you will practicly be going backwards,

hth
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  18:18:09  Show Profile
I'll have to take a few things out of the viv in that case. She hides in the same spot and it's not possible to even attempt to get her out as it is now. I'll give it a bash tomorrow and see how I go.

Any suggestions as to how I should approach her? I imagine shoving my hand in her face isn't the best idea.

Edited by - n/a on 13/03/2009 18:18:42
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  20:27:59  Show Profile
no best way is to move slowley and dont feel nervous your self as there pick that up.
id move you han slowly over the snakes body and pick it up appropatly, then keep calm and just let it explore you freely obisly witout it getting off you and exploring the room which is the next stage after its happy with you.
hth
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  00:06:21  Show Profile
my butters wasn't out for the first month now she won't stop exploring the roof of the viv i can't wait till shes to big to fit in the little ridge she lies on scared me to death the first day couldn't fimd her anywhere the the head appeared from the roof!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  01:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
you can also just open the viv as well, and let the snake start making it's own way out before trying to pick it up.
Therefore you wont be encroaching on snakies territory either.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  09:04:51  Show Profile
Thanks guys. If she strikes at me should I persevere or take that as a sign to leave her alone for a while?

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  09:59:52  Show Profile
When my male gets all touchy i just leave him for a while. perceverence in my case just in grains into the snakes mind thats I'm a big no-no.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000