New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  08:51:33  Show Profile
Hi everyone

I have just joined this forum to ask for some advice.
I was asked to look after a rescued snake by my local vet and to my horror and amazement it has escaped

I keep various other reptiles but this was my first snake. So despite "Thinking" that the tank I had him in was safe and escape proof, I now realise that maybe a lock and bolt was in order too! I have no idea how it got out, the lid was still closed when I went to look at him but he had obviously found some way out because he was nowhere to be seen :-(

To my surprise the vet wasn't too concerned and said they escape all the time and that he'll show up. I'm not worried about it roaming the house particularly for my sake but I am very concerned for the snakes health & safety as I have a cat.

He has been missing for a week now and it has been about 10 days in total since his last feed. He escaped in my kitchen and I have looked everywhere for him with no success.

I was eally hoping that maybe you guys could give me some advice / tips or ideas as to how to track him down or tempt him to come out of the nice hidey hole he has found.

Thanks in advance - any advice will be gratefully received! Like I said... i'm new to this so any advice, no matter how simple it may seem, will all be good advice for me

Best Wishes

Kathy.

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:04:45  Show Profile
check places that are warm and high...
My first snake used to escape and then head immediately up to the curtain rail...
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  12:07:11  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Hi and welcome to the forum,have you tried setting bottle traps?there is a guide on how to make them in the how to section.You should also look in the back of you refridgerator as it can get nice and warm in there also the cooker.

Edited by - lee2308 on 06/03/2009 12:08:28
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  12:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Check all your clothes, especially ones lying baout on the floor. They like to hide in pockets and stuff because they are warm and dark.

Plus never under-estimate a snake. You might think you've looked everywhere that would be possible for them to get into- but you'd be wrong. They can get anywhere! Checked closed drawers, in your computer, high shelves, especially in the room where it escaped. Mostly they don't go far, so your best chance is either in the same room or next room on.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  13:40:37  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
since its been so long since it fed, oyu could try making a plastic bottle trap wit ha little mousery in the bottom. you'll have to ask kaz how to make on thogu, i have no idea!

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  19:23:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Check all your clothes, especially ones lying baout on the floor. They like to hide in pockets and stuff because they are warm and dark.

Plus never under-estimate a snake. You might think you've looked everywhere that would be possible for them to get into- but you'd be wrong. They can get anywhere! Checked closed drawers, in your computer, high shelves, especially in the room where it escaped. Mostly they don't go far, so your best chance is either in the same room or next room on.

Good luck!

I read through all your posts and took everything on board and looked in places I never thought he'd get and.................. I FOUND HIM!!!!!
I'm so happy and SO relieved!

Don't ask me how but he had managed to get on top of the kitchen units - which are very high! My feller did look up there on day 1 but he hadn't looked under the shelf liner and that was where he was hiding!

He WAS NOT pleased to see me and has struck out at me twice, naughty little so n so :-(

SO....... do I offer him food soon or wait till he calms down? he must be very hungry poor thing, its been almost 2 weeks since his last meal.

Thanks again for all your replies - they helped me find him!

Kathy x

Best Wishes

Kathy.
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  19:38:18  Show Profile
Awww i'm so pleased - When romeo did a dissapearing act we found him up high too. Best thing to do now is leave him alone for a week, do nothing except change the water. This is just to give him a bit of time to settle in and get over his ordeal then feed him and leave him alone for another 2 days. It's hard when you want to play but in the long run the snake should chill alot more if it's given a bit of time to adjust to it's new surroundings.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  19:46:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

Awww i'm so pleased - When romeo did a dissapearing act we found him up high too. Best thing to do now is leave him alone for a week, do nothing except change the water. This is just to give him a bit of time to settle in and get over his ordeal then feed him and leave him alone for another 2 days. It's hard when you want to play but in the long run the snake should chill alot more if it's given a bit of time to adjust to it's new surroundings.

Thanks
I was so pleased to see him!!
Will he be OK to go that long without food??

kathy x

Best Wishes

Kathy.
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  19:59:58  Show Profile
They can go ages without food, if you feed him too soon after all this excitement he has a much higher chance to regurging (barrfing) unless he's uber tiney a few weeks won't be a problem.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  20:11:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

They can go ages without food, if you feed him too soon after all this excitement he has a much higher chance to regurging (barrfing) unless he's uber tiney a few weeks won't be a problem.

he about 1.5 / maybe 2 ft long.
vet says about 18 months or so

Best Wishes

Kathy.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  21:20:29  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
2 weeks isn't really that long for a juvenile corn, you could try offering him a feed and if he takes it then great, if he doesn't just leave him to settle in again for a few days then try him again.
glad you found him one of mine has escaped twice, both times the cats actually alerted me to where she was, i thought they were playing with a mouse but no, it was Birch! fortunately she was ok.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  23:36:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

2 weeks isn't really that long for a juvenile corn, you could try offering him a feed and if he takes it then great, if he doesn't just leave him to settle in again for a few days then try him again.
glad you found him one of mine has escaped twice, both times the cats actually alerted me to where she was, i thought they were playing with a mouse but no, it was Birch! fortunately she was ok.

We have a cat and I was worried that the cat would hurt Sylar!
Simba (cat) has this weird affection for bits of laces and string and he is very possessive over them lol! I was so worried he would see the snake and think it was toy!

Thanks so much for all your help and support folks :-)
I will be back with loads more questions now I am a snakey mum again lol!

Kathy x

Best Wishes

Kathy.
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  11:22:03  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Glad you found him!

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

595 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  13:20:18  Show Profile
thats great, well done for finding him