Question about Crickets
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  23:17:40  Show Profile
Hey guys just wanted to know when i put crickets in for my leo.. if there not eaten by the next day do i need to take them out or anything? Or just leave them there?

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  23:25:27  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
i do remember reading somewhere you shouldnt leave them in there at night as they can bite ya leo when there asleep

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  23:53:35  Show Profile
Well how will i get them out. i tried taking one on the tongs there to try holding it infront of him but there impossibly buggers to catch!

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  12:31:57  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I think the main danger is if you have live plants in your viv. The crickets will eat the plants and ingest stuff that might be poisonous to your gecko when it finally eats the cricket.

If you are worried, crush the jaws of the cricket before putting it in the tank. Seems cruel I know, but Lewy does it with the mealworms he feeds to his toads. You can also break a leg of the cricket before you put them in and then they are less active and easier to catch.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

595 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  14:20:11  Show Profile
do you dust the crickets?...i put my crickets into a cup (one i dont use lol) dust them and then shake it around. Crickets get dizzy easier to catch, and slower for your gecko to catch

0.2.0 corn snake
1.2.0 Leopard Gecko
2.1.0 Hermann tortoises
3.1.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Bird
0.0.5 Fish
1.0.0 Ferrets
1.2.0 bearded dragons
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  17:38:01  Show Profile
All you need to do is chuck a lump of fresh apple or carrot in the viv every day or 2, this is much more appealing to Mr cricket than tail of gecko. Sometimes you may even see your gecko licking it too but it's fine wont hurt them at all.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  21:30:14  Show Profile
Yea i just got Calci dust today and got him a new hide. And one thing i didnt know was the temp wasnt high enough, and the guy in the shop said he wont bother eating if he doesnt have the heat to digest, so i got a 100w bulb today and put it in, so fingers crossed he will start eating

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

595 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  13:27:03  Show Profile
do you have a heatmat? leos prefer underneath heat to help digest.
In my leos viv i have a heatmat on a stat and an energy saving light as the light is for my benifit.

0.2.0 corn snake
1.2.0 Leopard Gecko
2.1.0 Hermann tortoises
3.1.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Bird
0.0.5 Fish
1.0.0 Ferrets
1.2.0 bearded dragons

Edited by - n/a on 07/03/2009 13:29:53
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  18:17:26  Show Profile
i found that crickets = pain in the bum

i used to use cricket for my leos but got sick of the hassle that went with then. reasons for this was most of wot you asking really, plus escapes.
If you want to slow them down just chuck them in the fridge for a few mins. sends them all sleepy.

i just use mealies now with locus and waxies as treats a couple of times a month...

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  20:54:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by scorpioleah

do you have a heatmat? leos prefer underneath heat to help digest.
In my leos viv i have a heatmat on a stat and an energy saving light as the light is for my benifit.

I have the same for my leos works really well as the light is on a timer so 100% hassel free set up.

quote:
Originally posted by dazb

i found that crickets = pain in the bum

i used to use cricket for my leos but got sick of the hassle that went with then. reasons for this was most of wot you asking really, plus escapes.
If you want to slow them down just chuck them in the fridge for a few mins. sends them all sleepy.

i just use mealies now with locus and waxies as treats a couple of times a month...

Urggghhh tell me about it, i never usually get them crickets but the shop was out of small locusts and mine for some unknown reason have stopped eating mealies lately. Now they are driving me nuts, noisey little chirpy things and i'm pretty sure a few have got out through the vents too - should have let the leos go hungry!!!!!!

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:14:28  Show Profile
I was thinkin of trying mealworms coz there easier and less hassle. i might put it on a tong and see if the gecko eats it. He ate a couple crickets last night coz he was fatt.ish since i got the temps up.. i heard u can use a heatmate i mgiht try that too

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  20:33:15  Show Profile
I feed my leo's and beardie in a plastic rub... save's all the bother of trying to get cricks out of viv, substate ingestion etc... Also, started a roach farm off with dubia roaches as they don't fly, can't climb glass or smooth plastic surfaces, don't smell, and give birth to between 15 and 30 live babies per month... once established, this and my mealie culture should hopefully save me a reasonable amount of money. (Good plus is I can also stop with the bloody annoying cricks)!

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000