Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  22:49:06  Show Profile
that is an amazing looking viv that you built, what are the dimentions? also how the hell did you manage to get all the holes in the right place.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  00:10:52  Show Profile
great pic's from start to finish ,
good workmanship liking the set up

1.2.1. Corn snake
0.1. Beardie
1.0. African grey

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  09:35:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Budaholic

Thanks again for all your comments. I think I've got the snake bug again badly. I'm already thinking about getting another one.

Shame my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm. Hmmm? I wonder if I could heat the shed and turn it into a breeding room?

Bud

i think you should get a kingsnake next... i just got a mexi black and he is amazing!
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  18:57:13  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by chumpy

that is an amazing looking viv that you built, what are the dimentions? also how the hell did you manage to get all the holes in the right place.

Lot's of extremely careful measurements! Always remember what my father told me, measure twice, cut once. Always stood true that one.

Oh, and it's 3ft long, 15" deep and 18" high. I would have liked to make it a little larger but I was making it fit into my office without being too obtrusive.
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  19:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Jono2411
i think you should get a kingsnake next... i just got a mexi black and he is amazing!

Used to have a Florida King years back. Was about 5ft long, unfortunately it died from some nasty infection.
I've got a major thing for all Corns at the mo...... not sure why but all the colour morphs fascinate me.
I do think I might give breeding a go in the future........... If I can get approval!!
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:00:11  Show Profile
that makes me very sad to hear that... :(
If you are gonna go for the breeding option maybe you should get some sort of investment morph? not sure what they are but im sure someone will tell you, especially if you start a thread about it in the breeding forum...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  11:15:10  Show Profile
That is a wonderful set up.

Can you tell me where you got the blue LED light from and what controlls it to get it to dim. I want to set something like that up so I can see our corn when the main light is out.

0.1.0 Miami Corn : "Flour"
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn : "Vein"
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  13:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
I bought the LED lights on ebay......... these ones - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TWIN-12-AQUARIUM-MOONLIGHT-KIT-4-ALL-TANKS-UP-TO-6FT_W0QQitemZ190290056440QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item190290056440&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

They come with a transformer. You just set the voltage on the required output to vary the brightness. I find 4.5v or 6v to be adequate. Any higher is just to bright, but ideal for taking night time photos,
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  19:08:37  Show Profile
i got the same lights in my vivs good choice, also good value for money.
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  19:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
I agree, they give off a superb light. I really wasn't expecting them to be as bright as they were. Glad they come with a voltage switchable transformer.

Also they're only 100mA each so they draw next to no power at all. Combined with a 20W heatmat, the electricity usage of my viv is neglible. I'm sure my plasma tv uses more on standby!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  12:40:29  Show Profile
Thanks for that. I have just ordered a set.

0.1.0 Miami Corn : "Flour"
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn : "Vein"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  15:37:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Budaholic

I agree, they give off a superb light. I really wasn't expecting them to be as bright as they were. Glad they come with a voltage switchable transformer.

Also they're only 100mA each so they draw next to no power at all. Combined with a 20W heatmat, the electricity usage of my viv is neglible. I'm sure my plasma tv uses more on standby!!

how did you wire yours into your viv did you use the clips that came with it, i cut the wire on mine threaded it through then re soldered the wire with some heat shrink.

what light do you use for the day time i have yet to get one. was thinking about ordering some clear ones from the same company.
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  16:13:19  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
For the daylight i'm using a 16W fluorescent under cupboard light fitting from Wickes. It gets a bit warm which raises the ambient temps very slightly in the viv during the day.
I thought about getting the white LEDs for the day too, but white LEDs tend to be an odd crisp bluish/white which I think would look strange.

I have my blue LEDs stuck to a 45º angle piece of wood with double sided tape. They point directly to the back, bottom corner. I cut the wires and rejoined them outside the viv also.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:18:20  Show Profile
Budaholic,

Would you be prepared to put together some step by step instructions for anyone else wanting to build a replica of your viv?

I would LOVE to end up with a viv like yours. I think you should go into the "flat-pack" business.. you could make a mint LOL

Carl.

0.0.1 Carolina Corn "Chequers"
Go to Top of Page

ruxpin64
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  10:36:06  Show Profile
I agree wow.

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  19:45:12  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ukdeveloper

Budaholic,

Would you be prepared to put together some step by step instructions for anyone else wanting to build a replica of your viv?

I would LOVE to end up with a viv like yours. I think you should go into the "flat-pack" business.. you could make a mint LOL

Carl.

Thanks all for your comments.

If I work out what I spent on fixings, glass, runners, vents etc, It probably cost me more than a similar shop bought ready made viv. The cam/dowel fixings are a royal PITA!! You need a 15mm forstner bit, which I couldn't find anywhere seperately so had to buy a set of 5! It's a pain to drill into the ends of melamine with any accuracy too.
The reason I built mine was because I wanted everything a specific size to fit in with the other furniture.

If I done it again, I'd buy one ready made and just replace the 3mm thick hardboard back with 15mm melamine board.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

244 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  19:50:11  Show Profile
awesome viv, defo gonna do the led thing when my snake moves into a viv when hes bigger!

0.0.1 - carolina corn snake
0.0.1 - royal python
0.1.0 - honduran milk snake
1.0.0 - mexican black king snake

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000