4428 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  17:50:55  Show Profile
thanks everyone for your comments! I will look into that saddleninja

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

86 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  22:12:36  Show Profile
wow good job looks very posh! i agree some fake plants could look cool Rosa loves her fake plants ! congrats for your viv an corn !

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  09:01:49  Show Profile
Nicely done! Doubt my woodtech teacher could better it lol
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  03:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
for cheaper decorations, I've just grown some grass seed (poundland) in the lids of 2 trays (poundland).
Giving me 'authentic' grass without the risk of chemical or biological poisoning for 2 quid.
I love my Boscombe poundland now, only for this!!!
I'll add pics in a minute.

Snake in the grass.

I removed a tray to take a better photo. Notice the nosy kitten and 'puter with thecornsnake.co.uk in background.

Because I opened their Viv, Kelloggs and Crunchy Nut came out of the hamster box to investigate.
The grass they are on, is tray number 2.

I have though about growing this stuff on newspaper, because it only costs a quid for a box and it grows quickly, i can have about 5 sheets growing a week and cover the bottom of the vivs.
The Snakes seem to like it.

I've just realised how dodgy it sounds when i say that i'm gonna grow '5 sheets of grass a week in my shed'.
Wonder what the neighbours'll think???

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 11/05/2008 04:53:52
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  09:14:26  Show Profile
Boscombe? lol i use that poundland lots to...
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  11:34:23  Show Profile
that grass is an amazing idea. i take it there is no health problems with doing it(i mean for the corns.lol) if not i am DEFINATELY gonna do it.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  15:21:42  Show Profile
I went to a garden centre near me and all their fake plants were pathetic..i was just looking for some fake ivy...i saw some exo-terra plants and i just gave in! i also got a water bowl...but managed to snap out of it before grabbing a vine :P

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  00:48:59  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Heya Dazb, I wouldn't use grass from a garden, or bought turf, because if an animal has ever wee'd on it you risk serious health problems. There is an enzyme in cat wee that can cause real health problems.
I got some potting soil that i use for my snails, and put it in the microwave until the kitchen stunk awful, and the soil was far to hot to touch.
When it cooled, i put it in trays and sprinkled grass seed over it.
I had the trays on top of my snail tank so they could be kept damp until they grew, when the grass was about an inch tall, the trays went into the viv.

I heated the soil up just incase there was anything in the soil that could've caused problems, so zapping it would've destroyed any bugs or little beasties that could have been hiding in it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

173 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  17:51:17  Show Profile
can you use that grass for the floor of a viv

corns de best

1 dog
1 rabbit
6 ginie pigs
lot of fish
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2008 :  23:00:20  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
hey Cornboy, You probably could use it for the bottom of a viv, but the reason i said about growing it in trays, is because i can have a few growing, and when they poo all inside one, the whole lot can just get dumped on my compost heap.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2008 :  07:45:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

the whole lot can just get dumped on my compost heap.

I dident realise snakepoopwas compostable...
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2008 :  08:30:13  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
The grass is good idea! I might try it.

I didn't think snake poo was compostable either, I only put aspen in the compost if it wasn't soiled before. Suppose it can't really hurt though.

What snails have you got? We used to have some giant african land snails but we didn't have enough time for them so had to rehome. They were massive so couldn't keep up with the poo and the egss they produced.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

173 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2008 :  12:37:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

hey Cornboy, You probably could use it for the bottom of a viv, but the reason i said about growing it in trays, is because i can have a few growing, and when they poo all inside one, the whole lot can just get dumped on my compost heap.

thanks for ansering

corns de best

1 dog
1 rabbit
6 ginie pigs
lot of fish
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2008 :  22:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
My snails are Giant Africans, they're about 3 inches long at the moment, so still got a fair bit to go.

Actually, it's a very good question as to whether or not it's compostable, I don't have a clue really.
My snake poo soiled wood/grass goes into a placcy box at the bottom of the garden, with the peat/poo from my snail tank.
I put some grass cuttings in as well, and leave it somewhere warm, either in the sun, or in my shed.
It takes about 2 weeks, and i end up with this absolutely vile smelling black paste like substance, and that gets turned into the soil around my Azaleas and Camelias, and some gets spread on the top of my garden fences as well.
Plants that like an acidy soil thrive on this stuff, and when it's on the fences any cats that try to come into my garden decide not to.
Although I do have 2 poodles and a rotty so that might keep most other cats away.
I haven't actually used much of the snake poo grass, as i don't have the grass in the viv all the time, i tend to change the stuff in my viv weekly,(ish), it keeps the snakes occupied when they see something new in there.

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 18/05/2008 22:59:22
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2008 :  10:19:04  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I usually put the aspen in the green council bin, just because I think it would take too long to compost in my garden bin.

I'm sure the council don't mind a bit off snake poo in with the stuff they compost then sell back to the public as garden weed supressant

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

81 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2008 :  16:49:55  Show Profile
coll cage im thinking about making my own two
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: