got my beardie today!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  19:31:36  Show Profile
really happy with him hes just over one and a half and very lively... think im gona call him Arnie will get better pics when hes settled in

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  23:33:39  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
They're excellent at that age.
My old ones used to go for small walks in the garden on a lead, they were something like a cross between a dog and cat.
The dog because they loved going for walks, and the cat because they loved getting fussed but only did what they wanted to do, no obedience.

He looks quite small for 18 months, is that a definate age?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  12:57:13  Show Profile
haha sounds like a brilliant idea, not for definate i got him from someone on preloved they said they got him about a year and a half ago... hes my first beardie so i cant really tell otherwise, how old does he look to you? id say hes between 16-18inches from head to tail tip, apparently he was fed on mostly waxworms and pinkies! ive got him on lots of greens and a range of different bugs now, there was a heatmat with no thermostat in his viv which he came with which i have now removed, should i turn off the heat lamp at night? ive heard many different opinions for both sides and am quite confused lol

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  17:57:47  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Heat lamp off at night, yes.

Here's how i've currently got mine set up;

it's a 4ft viv, with one end having a 12x12 heat-mat, with a 18 inch 10.0 UVB above it.
The other end has the heat lamp, at a slight angle, with no heat mat.

I turn both lamps off at night, with the heat lamp first, then about 30 mins later, the UVB.
The reason i do it this way is because when they've cooled down a bit after heat lamp being on, they go to other end where the heat mat is, as it can sometimes feel a bit chilly in the morning.

I'll get pics in a moment.

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  19:36:58  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
how long does it take them to get fully grown

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  20:02:17  Show Profile
thanks for the info sounds like a similar setup to mine, do you have the heatmat on the floor? if so do you cover it with anything?

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  20:08:00  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
The normal 'mature' age for these is allegedly 12-18 months, but like snakes the growth rate slows right down.

My old ones were nearly 2ft long total length, but the tail was nearly half that length. The bloke that i gave them to said he had never seen beardies that big though, so....

I'd guess-timate at the 2 year old mark as fully-grown, but they could still grow more.

edit:

Remembered to take some piccys showing my (ever-changing) viv to show you how i've got it laid out.
Took piccys after a clear up, to remove bits of green stuff they so rudely throw around the viv.

You can see on the left, the UVB, the heat-mat is under the 'carpet' and tiles directly underneath it.
The heat-lamp you can see clearly on the right, with the sick-bowl under it, with an angled bit of cork bark edged up on a brick on the right.

They LOVE sitting on top of the sick bowl, because any wandering crickets seem to hide inside it, so they get snatched up if they stick their heads out to far.

Just realised you can also see my cam in there, hi-tech stand for it that is.

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 25/02/2009 00:53:19
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  12:27:08  Show Profile
nice setup and thanks its helps to see how other peeps do theirs

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  12:17:25  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
k in jelous now, i want one

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000