Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 is it safe to put the heatmat inside the viv?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  00:56:07  Show Profile
hi, i have a C/B 08 snow corn called kasey who i got 1 1/2 weeks ago. she's settling in ok, is calm when being handled(only done it twice as she's still in settling period) and feeding really well. She's in a small wooden viv with the heat mat on the outside.i have two dial thermometers which i'm replacing with digital ones when they arrive so i can record temps much better. my question is whether or not its safe to put the heatmat inside the viv. the reason i ask is because the bottom of the viv is about 2cm thick and there doesnt seem to be much heat coming through. i've put some polystyrene over it to help stop the heat escaping the other way but it still doesnt seem to be warm enough. the temp at the warm end only gets to about 25C which i know is not really warm enough. im not too sure if this is an accurate reading tho as i only have the dial thermometers and i;ve had it in the wrong place! i've now moved it nearer the substrate but its still not warm enough. i was told i wouldn't need a thermostat by the pet shop guy but i've ordered one anyway and it should be here by early next week. obviously i wouldn't put the mat inside the viv without the thermostat but would it be ok to put it in once i've got it? i really dont want kasey to get burned by it or anything but am concerned that things aren't quite warm enough for her in there. any advice would be much appreciated, thanks
amanda
p.s-sorry for the long rant but i had to get all the details in there!!also the substrate is aspen

Edited by - Blackecho on 04/02/2009 06:47:05

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  06:46:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You could put the heatmat inside the viv, if you do, cover it with something to stop a burrowing snake from coming into contact with it. Such as some lino.

Alternatively you could look at heat bulbs.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  09:17:34  Show Profile
i had to put my heat mat inside the viv as the bottom on the outside was heavily lined with foam.
i have put the mat inside and duct taped it in place. i too am worried about temps as my hot end fluctuates between 29-33.5 and really don't want to burn her when i pick her up tomorrow

Edited by - n/a on 04/02/2009 09:18:29
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  10:04:14  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
If you've got a poundland near you, go in there.
I picked up 5 self-adhesive vinyl tiles for a quid (oddly enough ), they've gone into beardie tank, and they'll hold down a heat-mat, plus the adhesive is strong enough to hold them down, but not so strong you can't remove them in the future.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  21:19:12  Show Profile
thanks, im definately going to stick with the heat mat as the majority of people seem to think they are the safer option. i've puta bit more polystyrene under the viv and a bit more heat is coming through but it's really lobsided so it's not a long term option. i've armed myself with some duck tape to stick the mat down but will prob get some lino tiles from poundland too-im sooooo paranoid my baby will get burned!!!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  21:49:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if you're running the mat off a stat the risk of burning is minimal - the stat prevents the mat getting above the set temperature. i wanted to check a 2nd hand mat i'd bought was working and plugged it in without a stat (NOT IN A VIV!) and it got to just over 40*C which is enough to overheat a snake if it can't get away from the heat source but isn't enough to burn them. burns are more common from un-guarded bulbs.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  21:51:41  Show Profile
I've had a mat reach 57*C without a stat (building Henry's viv), a stat is vital and most do their job well.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  20:11:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I picked up 5 self-adhesive vinyl tiles for a quid (oddly enough ), they've gone into beardie tank, and they'll hold down a heat-mat, plus the adhesive is strong enough to hold them down, but not so strong you can't remove them in the future.

do you just put the self adhesive tiles straight over the top of the mat? would the heat not make it lift up?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  11:51:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i have a piece of lino taped down over a heatmat, a tile should be fine stuck directly over as we're not talking about reaching high temperatures, only 30*C

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  12:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by reptilemad

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

do you just put the self adhesive tiles straight over the top of the mat? would the heat not make it lift up?

The heat doesn't make it lift, the only part that does lift is where the wire goes into the cable, but it only lifts slightly.
Providing that the snakes can't come into contact with the sticky side you should be ok.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  17:13:20  Show Profile
If you've got a stat then does the mat really need to be covered as it'll be at the correct temperature anyway? Right now my mat is under the tank but when my new viv arrives it will go inside, the temp with it inside will be the same as it currently is now due to the stat.

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000