First pet
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  19:47:29  Show Profile
Hi, I'm new here and I've just started researching how to keep a snake. I'm curious as to where to get the snake, the equipment and a general price view? I really want to be a good owner and I want to be responsible for it if I do end up getting one. Can you help?

Books contain knowledge. Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Corruption is a crime. Crime never pays. So if I keep reading, I'm gonna go broke!

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  19:54:56  Show Profile
There are more pet shops that sell corn snakes than people are aware of. There are also a few private breeders accros the country. If your going to get a snake, corns are the best place to start. They are easy to keep and are a hardy species. There is a care sheet on this site thats well worth a read

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  20:28:47  Show Profile
read care sheets, price wise i would say between 100pound to 500, it wont take much for a young snake, but as they grow their viv needs to get bigger, also you need to know what way you want to heat it, heat mat or bulb etc, what substrate just ask questions and you will prob get a few answers! it really comes down to personal taste some people like heat mats some like bulbs, some use aspen some just use normal paper. welcome and please make sure you know what your getting into before you buy.

p.s they make great pets, no walking them! and very little poo

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket

Edited by - n/a on 03/02/2009 20:29:56
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  21:11:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
hatchling carolinas can be picked up for as little as £15-£35, faunarium from wilkos £5, 2 hides - you can make your own from plastic tubs, water bowl £5, substrate £1-5, heatmat £10 ish and thermostat £20ish.............................. or you can make it as expensive as you like

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  21:53:00  Show Profile
Also food is cheap compared to other domestic pets £30-35 a year to feed my adult

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  02:31:05  Show Profile
i know this is a little off topic but is there a place online that i can buy mice that will still be frozen when they arrive i live in northern ireland

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  10:08:05  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by barrymc1

i know this is a little off topic but is there a place online that i can buy mice that will still be frozen when they arrive i live in northern ireland

THREADJACKER!!!.

Seriously, you can try these guys: http://www.livefoods.co.uk/index.php?cPath=24
I've also known people to buy them from ebay. they still arrive frozen but the downside is that you pay a bit extra for postage.
Dunno about NI though, but it shouldn't take a great deal longer really.
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_dmptZUKQ5fPetQ5fSuppliesQ5fReptilesQ5fSpidersQ5fInsects?_nkw=frozen+mice&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=frozen+mice&_osacat=0

Hope that'll get you started, others may know other places too.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  10:18:29  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Hello and welcome . The people on here are brilliant and have countless years of combined experience. I know they've helped me out a hell of a lot. You're doing all the right things by reading up as much as possible in advance before you take the plunge. Nice thing with this site is that there is usually someone on here all the time and we're not judgemental and just remember that there is no such thing as a silly question (Cue remark by Kehhlyr ).

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  12:06:26  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

........and just remember that there is no such thing as a silly question .

I said once, and i'll say it again, there is only 1 silly question, "I have an empty viv, what shall i do with it?

Because that is easily answered with 'Get another Rep'

quote:

(Cue remark by Kehhlyr )

What sort of remark???

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  12:34:56  Show Profile
Hi :-).

I got myne from a garden centre called the Holybush.
Snake (amel motley) was £60.00 then got a viv started kit for £259.

The starter kit included the viv for upto a 6ft snake (cant remember dimensions sorry), smaller plastic cage (myne is too small for the viv yet), thermostat, heater, water bowl and 2 log/hide decorations, subtrate chippings and a stickon exo thermometre. Not bad really i think.

If your in the walsall or bloxwich area its a good place to goto they also have an aquarium and stuff aswell as exotic pets and theyre all well looked after and in good condition.

hope this has helped.

-=So nice gotta bring it back twice!!=-
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  12:37:45  Show Profile
argh i forgot the link hehe heres a link tot he hollybush website

http://www.hollybush-garden.com/

-=So nice gotta bring it back twice!!=-
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  20:11:51  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

........and just remember that there is no such thing as a silly question .

I said once, and i'll say it again, there is only 1 silly question, "I have an empty viv, what shall i do with it?

Because that is easily answered with 'Get another Rep'

Not 'put a cat in it' then .

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  22:21:59  Show Profile
I've used Livefoods for the last 3 years for my turtles and rankins dragons stuff. Never had any issues at all with them. Got my tub as a starter home for £1 from the pound shop, Cassie was £30 from the reptile shop (anery) and the stat, matt etc plus thermometers and food was about £50-60. Recycled some tubs that had waxwroms in orginally and cut out a hole in the tops.

If you do have a pet shop which sells corns locally I'd say to make sure they have been trading in reps for a while or are enthusiastic or at least knowledgeable about reps. A lot of normal pet shops are now trading in reps due to the recent trend for them but don't really know about the animals they sell.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  09:30:20  Show Profile
I got my snake and complete set up for £180. This included his small little tank and his 3ft tank, with thermostat, heat bulb, termometers gauges, water bowl, cave, chippings and 5 weeks supply of pinkies.

Not bad considering only thing im a have to pay for in the future is his heat bulb and food.

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  01:03:38  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:

Not 'put a cat in it' then .

Not happy with the animal that belongs in a burmese at an old folks place at the moment.
She got hold of Aeris!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

595 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  14:37:53  Show Profile
i paid £150 for a 4ft viv, heat mat, stat, 2 digitol termometers, substrate, 2 hides, water bowl and a log. And then i bought a faunarium from wilkos for £5. So in total £155.

0.2.0 corn snake
1.2.0 Leopard Gecko
2.1.0 Hermann tortoises
3.1.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Bird
0.0.5 Fish
1.0.0 Ferrets
1.2.0 bearded dragons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly