Feeding info
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  22:40:43  Show Profile
Hi all, just got my new corn 2day, 1st ever snake! Ano u should let them settle but a jst couldn't put him down wen I got him home! Av called him sammy!(pics coming soon) anyway he's bout 30cm long and the shop I got him from said he's fed 2 pinkies 1nce a week would that be bout rite, the guys just started selling reptiles so thought ad speak to the pros, I know it'll be hard to judge wiv no pics, but jus worried if I put him on to the nxt step from pinkies a could harm him!!

Cheers guys

Djchee

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  23:38:27  Show Profile
Hi, I got my first corn on sunday. I only handled her really to put her in her new home and have left her since. I want her to get safe and cosy so that she won't fret when I handle her which will be tomorrow (though I have done lots of peaking to see what she's up to in the viv)

I think if it's less then 5 or 6 months it should only be fed 1 pinky every 5/6 days. As they grow you increase the amount of food and length of gap between feeds. I think if you feed them too much they may have trouble digesting it all and could regurgitate. Also I think if she has moved home it may be best to wait a few days before feeding her, but I'm sure a more experienced person can help you further. Look forward to the pics :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  23:44:18  Show Profile
If your snake is managing two pinkies well, and is used to having this amount, i would say keep him at it (although i'm a newbie to snake keeping really). Our snake James is about same length, maybe a little longer, and is on two pinkies every 5/6 days. After two days left alone he has no 'lump' left from the feed and has fully digested his meal, so we know he can handle it.

If your snake is still searching his viv after eating the pinkies, i think that's a sign that he is ready to go onto a larger sized meal, but i'm not 100% certain on that!

Enjoy your corn snake, they are brilliant pets

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  21:01:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
definitly leave him a week to settle in, then try a feed and it he takes it leave him 48 hours to digest his meal before handling him. when he's regularly on 2 pinkies per meal you could try the next size up which is a fuzzy providing that the fuzzy is not thicker than 1.5 times the thickness of the snake's body at the widest point.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000