is it to hot
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  09:58:35  Show Profile
hi i have my snake but the temp is saying its getting on for 95f in the cool part of the tank i think its to hot as what iv read says 80f in hottest part. the shop gave me a 60w bulb for a 2ft tank and im thinking of maybe getting a 40w or even 20w to cool it down what do u think ?

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  10:11:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, way too hot, I have mine at 28-30C in the hot end and 20-22C at the cool end.

The bulb I presume is not on a dimming thermostat, hence it getting too hot?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  10:11:55  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
http://www.albireo.ch/temperatureconverter/

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  10:24:37  Show Profile
no its not but do u think a lower bulb would be better as a fast fix ?
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  12:19:29  Show Profile
as a quick fix yeah, but if you want to use a bulb for heat you really need a dimming stat ASAP. If your running a heat mat and you just want some light then switch to an energy saving bulb they give off naff all heat.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  18:32:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If you do have a heat mat that needs to be on a stat too.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  21:02:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
you can pick up a cheap stat new for £20, less if you look on t'internet or would accept a secondhand one. heatmat and stat is probably the best way of heating for corns.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  21:09:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by steveh1970

hi i have my snake but the temp is saying its getting on for 95f in the cool part of the tank .... im thinking of maybe getting a 40w or even 20w to cool it down what do u think ?

yes that's way too hot, how hot is your hot end??
if the bulb is a heat AND light source do you turn it off at night? if you do, the snake will get pretty damn cold at night, it could go down to 15*C if it's anything like our house, and the recommended night-time drop is only 2-5*C
if you don't, then your snake will get it's bodyclock all messed up. they use daylight hours to calculate seasons so keping a light on in the viv messes with the photoperiod.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000