New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  01:00:02  Show Profile
Hi all

I know there are several threads for this already but I wanted to see if I can pick your brains a-fresh.

Bruce (my corn snake) has mites. I've cleaned the viv with dettol (is this suitable to use? I've read elsewhere that it is), rubbed it down with a damp cloth to get rid of any smell from the dettol, and i've replaced all his furniture with plasic/tupperware and used kitchen roll for his substrate.

I've ordered some zoo-med 'mite off' which should be here by the end of the week.

In the mean time, is there anything else I can do? I've just fed him and he doesn't seem to be off his food so thats a bit of a relief.

Also, will I be able to use his bit of bark again (his hide) or will that risk re-infection if there are eggs laid on it?

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  08:53:12  Show Profile
If you soak the bark in weak bleach solution (1 part bleach to 10 parts water) then bake it in the oven it should kill any nastys than may be lurking. I wouldn't put that hide back in till your sure your clear from all mites just keep using your plastic stuff as it's easier to clean.

You'll have to totally clean the viv again when you treat your Snake too. I can't see why dettol would be a problem as long as it's well rinced off but you can use the weak bleah solution to clean your viv too or alot of people use baby steralising solution or tablets.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  15:51:19  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
What colour were the mites?

Another precaution you can take is to move any house-plants away from the viv. When they aren't feeding, mites are like little commandos and like hiding in foliage until their next meal comes along.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  16:44:14  Show Profile
There's no problem with house plants. He lives in a students bedroom.... us students don't do greenery!

And the mites are black - pin head size so very small.

Does anyone know whether the mite off stuff works very well? Or any other suggestions as to how to get rid of the mites?

As for the soaking of the bark, what oven temperature does wood not burn at? Please excuse my ignorance on the subject
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  20:45:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
frontline spray works and one of the xeno products but i can't remember which strength off the top of my head. reinfestation is highly likely as the eggs hatch. i'd treat the snake and it's environment weekly for 3-4 weeks to make sure you get all the little bug**rs!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000