Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2008 :  13:24:35  Show Profile
Hi folks....

I am soon going to be starting on a viv stack converstion from old Ikea bookcase/storage unit to hopefully house 1 cornsnake, 1 western hognose, two (free fitting) aquariums for possibly a cranwells frog and some other type of frog, and OH would like a leo or possibly two in the other slightly smaller top sections.

This would give me 4 x rectangular wood sections with space to put the free standing aquariums in between.

I have bought perspex to use for the backing of the 4 wood rectangles, and will be using sliding glass doors on front.

I had been considering using a long stiplight at the back for lighting, but have recently seen these advertised, and like the look of them.

TRIPLE LED 12" STRIP MOONLIGHT FITS ANY AQUARIUM 900mm on eBay, also Lighting, Fish, Pet Supplies, Home Garden (end time 27-Dec-08 21:59:12 GMT)

Can anyone give me advice on my thoughts so far please, as I have read so much on these forums about all sorts lately, my poor half a braincell I have left is beggining to frazzle. I don't want to do anything that will cause stress to any of the wee critters we own / hope to own.

Thank you...J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2008 :  13:26:22  Show Profile
Bottom!!! couldn't get back in to edit.... !! Link to lights here : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190274847873&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=150315445420&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BIA%26itu%3DCR%252BIA%252BUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D42

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2008 :  15:40:32  Show Profile
This is the unit I will be converting. Have been told I can use water based floor varnish from B&Q to seal the wood inside as think it was originally pine and I stained it, so want to protect in case toxic.

Am then thinking of putting heatmats next with a layer of lino on top, and then substrate.

Have a bulb, guard and dimmer stat in with corn that I will be able to transfer with him.

Just really not sure about lighting.... would like to use backlight, as I am making backs from perspex. I do get some natural light in to area I am going to situate this in lounge, so thinking the moonlight led's would be nice and also give me the ability to watch critters when house lights off. (I love to watch them exploring/living their lives)... no comments about voyeurism please..

Any comments / thoughts / help will be very gratefully appreciated... cheers

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2008 :  21:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
£22.49 delivered, seems a bit steep.
In-Xcess near me in the 'motor tuning' section has the same strip lamps but in 18inch for 2.50 each. Because it's deisgned to run off car power they don't have an adapter, but again In-Xcess has multi-volt adapters for about a fiver.

2x 18inch flexi strip LEDS = 5 quid
1x 1.5-12volt multi adapter = 5 quid

Total 36 inches of LEDS and 12 volt power supply = £10

But is there one of those shops near you?

I bought one of the lights in red last year to coil up and use as a rear light on my motorbike, because it kept blowing bulbs.
Still worked last time i tried it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2008 :  22:32:16  Show Profile
Hi Kehhlyr... tried looking up those shops online and in local phone book but came up blank... gave me something to think about though... so will try some other local car places after xmas over with...

Meanwhile, if you go into one near you, could you ask them if they have anywhere in this neck of the woods... (Stourbridge, West Midlands) DY8 postcode.... thanks..

Bought floor varnish today... just got to clear a space in my junk (sorry... dining) room after xmas, and I can get started... yay!!

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2008 :  02:04:40  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
http://in-excess.com/ is the web site, just found out they only have 5 branches, spread through Dorset and Hampshire.
Sorry.
Even so, they don't have the lights listed on the website either, so it really doesn't help.
I'll pop down there tomorrow, and find out what ones they have in and let you know.

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2008 :  18:49:44  Show Profile
Thanks Kehhlyr... don't go out there just for me... the traffic up here is hell on legs at the mo... just next time you're passing would be great.... When I'm out and about over the hol's I will pop in to a few car parts shops by me and have a looksee as well, but the ones they had in Maplins when I called in there are really expensive also.

Been looking on e'bay (all from China), but nothing on there that would rival the ones I saw that I put a link to, or in the other online shops I've (very quickly) scanned... some very expensive and not including power lead either.

To be honest though, at the end of the day, I may go with hardwiring light fittings in there anyway, so that I have the option of using heatlamps or moonlight bulbs etc., but just thought these looked nice, and would also be a secondary light source in the area of the lounge I am going to situate the viv, as I tend to use lamps in my lounge anyway rather than ceiling lights.

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2008 :  23:23:48  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Didn't go there in the end today, traffic was horrible here too.
If you're considering light fittings, then head for a surplus shop type place. Again I go to In-Ex for that because the same stuff is 3 or 4 times more expensive at B&Q etc

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000